Dogomania

Scared puppy

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My doberman dog that I loved died suddenly a month or so ago. I knew I had to replace her to help me get over it, so i got another doberman puppy that was 8 weeks old. I had it two days and it started having seizures and the breeder had to have it put down. I was so afraid to get another young dog that I ended up getting a dobie that is 4months old. She has been afraid of us when we approach her. She is very loving and when we are in the bed or laying down with her or playing with her in the yard she is fine. However, if you approach and try to pet her she runs away. She does not know her name or come yet. I am worried that she will always be shy and timid. When i tried to love on her and kiss her head, she growled at me. When I perstisted, she tried to bite me. The breeder was very upset and said I should send her back. I think she is just scared, but will she overcome it? What should i do? Ignore her?

A lot of dogs, especially the larger breeds just do not like being hugged or even picked up. One of my Rotties doesn't like it much but sheis a very loving and gentle dog. So I just don't do it to her.

As far as your yound Dobe goes, I would let her settle and rather than going to her, wait for her to come to you. She would be very unsettled at the drastic change in her life. New people, strange place. I would give her time.

Guest Anonymous

I see this alot in purebred dogs...fearfulness, aggression problems, major behavior problems, genetic diseases...etc. Some times when the gene pool of a breed gets too small the breed suffers. When you think of the doberman they are orginally a mixed breed of a few different breeds... so a dobie is a mutt which has been inbred for way too long. Another issue which can cause a dog to be fearful is no socialization..although I see purebreds suffering from this much more than our mongrels or mutts or mixed breeds.
I would take the dog back to the breeder, go down to the local animal shelter and adopt a nice healthy mongrel or mixed breed which needs a loving home. Unless you have the time and energy and patience to deal with your current dobies issues...you will be in for alot of heart ache in the end.
It is not normal for a dog to growl at its owner especially a 4 month old pup. I have owned ALOT of dogs and I have never encountered such a problem...and my dogs have all been rescues which have been physically and mentally abused...and some of them had been confiscated by the SPCA and had not been socialized properly.
Either invest in a good behaviorist and put alot of work into this Dobe...or send it back to the breeders. You will have nothing but problems...
I personally would send it back...don't ignore this behavior.

Guest Anonymous

I'm very sorry for all the heartache you've gone thu. :(

As tough as it may be, I would listen to the breeder & return her to them. Your breeder actually sounds quite caring & knowledgable to ask for this dog to be returned. At this point, no one know the pup better than the breeder who reared her from day one.

I know that would be extremely difficult, but I think it will be best for you and the pup in the long run. Shy, fearful dogs are 100% management for life. Though sometimes much can be done through training & socialization, I would be concerned with a pup this young who hasn't bonded even with her owner. I would guess her fearfulness may very well be genetic & the breeder realizes this as well.

Again, very sorry for your heartache--I just think returning her to the breeder will be best for all involved.

Best wishes.

*Hugs* I'm so sorry about your losses.

I would consult a trainer and see what he or she thinks of your pup. If they think she has issues that can't be overcome, then I would return her to the breeder.

In the future, I would either go to the shelter or try to find a really top-notch breeder. Go here for more info: [url]http://www.phouka.com/puppy/bdr_frames.html[/url]

I have to agree with SRC - my dogs are both mid size - and want all the affection they can get. It sounds like your puppy may be too far inbred, or genetically wrong in some way, but take it to training and see how it goes. My Foxhound was scared of everything when I got her, as an adult...
training and affection calmed her down and now she's a lovable curmudgeon. I too am sorry for your losses. Hope this on works out for you.

Guest Anonymous

Thank you, everyone for all of your advice. I spoke to MANY reputable breeders about the breeder of my dog before I bought her and she came very highly recommended. Skylin Dobermans. I think after getting your input it is a socialization problem. She was with the breeder on a farm in the country and the breeder travels a lot. I have 3 other dogs (two who are muts I got at the shelter) and they are great. I had my heart set on another doberman. I just love the breed. Anyway, I will get in touch with a trainer asap and get her in a class to see if this helps before I give her back. She is very loving, but really shy. As of this weekend I have been kissing her in the face and loving on her and she hasn't growled. I just don't think this is a breeding problem. Will be in touch! Thanks again.