Dogomania

Doberman sucking its side

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a 18 month old bitch who is regularly sucking her side even when we are cuddeling her. can anyone help i believe this problem is stress, she did have a skin complaint but this has cleared up. just wondering if it was anything other than attention seeking ect. we are working on this and training her using kind methods. i believe this is quite common with dobermans.

What do you mean by "sucking?" Do you mean chewing and licking?
It could be a number of things, I would take her to the vet to find out.
It could be allergies like food allergies, seasonal allergies, allergies to something in your home, fleas and other parasites. It could be obsessive compulsive behaviour or self-mutilation due to stress or frustration, a lack of exercise or mental stimulation. It could be any thing but the vet would be better able to tell you what is causing it rather than trying to guess.

Indy does exactly the same thing. We took him to the vet and there was no physical reason for him to be doing so - we put it down to him trying to get attention.

The vet gave us a bittering agent to spray on the area to stop him putting his mouth there.

It's works as long as I put a little spray there each day. Hopefully it will break the habit soon and then we can stop using the spray.

Guest Anonymous

thankyou very much for your reply's i will try the bitter spray for the side suckingt to break the cycle. does it have to be prescribed as i would not want to put a product on the dogs skin every day if it was not specific for skin