Dogomania

Help me to help new owners

ellieangel

Ok on the first night of puppy class I give a talk (20 minutes ish) about things that I think new dog owners need to be aware of.

I always forget to mention something so I am compiling a list which I will work from in the future to ensure that I don't forget anything.

Ok for instance......

The dangers of bloat and how it can be prevented.
Flea treatments.
Getting the puppies used to being handled all over.
Checking paws,eyes and ears for grass seeds,foreign bodies regularly.
Checking for and treating ticks.
Always carry poo bags.
The law regarding collars and tags.
Microchips.
Injections.
Teeth cleaning.
Ears,particularly long eared dogs,how to spot an infection.
Food bad for dogs,chcolate,grapes,onions etc.
The importance of a good diet.

ok anything else you can think of ?

All sounds really good from what you have. Few additional things I add to my pre-puppy class talk is how to fit a collar properly and what is a suitable lead/collar/harness/halti to use on a dog. We also have a ban on choke chains/prongs and chain leads in our dog club and owners are warned that they will not be permitted to participate unless they have a flat nylon/leather collar and a leather/nylon lead. Also proof of up to date vaccinations and licence must be shown before they come onto the floor.

Additionally owners are instructed not to feed their dog its dinner before they come to the class, in order to make treats appear more appealing and also so that their dog isn't sluggish or craps on the floor!

Finally I do a quick demo of heelwork and obedience distance control with Meg, and tell them that a well trained dog does not come from attending a class every Monday night and that they should practice wee bits every day while the dinner is cooking etc.

What club do you train with just out of interest?

Thanks Kat :wink: The training equipment is covered in the pre-course talk the week before,what I do is basically a "responsibility and care" talk.

[quote]Additionally owners are instructed not to feed their dog its dinner before they come to the class, in order to make treats appear more appealing and also so that their dog isn't sluggish or craps on the floor! [/quote]

Ooh yes I do usually cover this but I hadn't put it on the list so thanks :wink:

[quote]Finally I do a quick demo of heelwork and obedience distance control with Meg, and tell them that a well trained dog does not come from attending a class every Monday night and that they should practice wee bits every day while the dinner is cooking etc. [/quote]

I do this too and I thoroughly enjoy the oooohs and aaaahs when I am up there with her,it makes me feel so proud :)

[quote]What club do you train with just out of interest?[/quote]

Portsmouth and District DTC run by a chap called Russell Becque who is also a behaviourist.
He competes over here in competition obedience.

[url]http://www.russellbecque.btinternet.co.uk/[/url]

I train Rio at a different club a club called show-offs run my a lady called Marisa Keopaithool.

[url]http://www.show-offs.fsnet.co.uk/[/url]

well, this may go deeper than what you want, but I think signs of aggression. and how to stop it before it starts. Too many times I have had to break "bad" dogs of dominant/aggressive behavior, because their owners didnt know any better until it was too late...

so I would include a basic temperament test. Can you take his food away? his toys? does he growl when you touch his head? does he refuse to leave the couch or bed when ordered? the early warning signs of dominance issues can spare owners a lot of grief down the line, when it becomes
aggressive cuz the dog thinks he's alpha...