Dogomania

need training help...

Taurus and Jada

the waterbottle works on some dogs, but not all. Freebee thought it was a game and would attack the water...

I would suggest a short, two foot lead. When guests come to the door, tell her to SIT and stand on the lead. Have someone else let the guests in.
Keep her int he sitting position and have your guests praise her for being so good..even bring treats..they have to work with you. Once she realizes that sitting will bring attention and treats, she will fall into that automatically.

Basic obedience is necessary here. And you have to have a good gripin the lead. I have put it around my ankle to stop jumping...

Guest Anonymous

I've been wanting to try the spray bottle, but we have absolutly NONE around this house that don't have some sort of cleaner in them...
I've been getting Coal to sit when people come over, but unfortantly his butt doesn't stay down very long, and I heard my mom doing it and it was just 'sit Sit sit SIT sit sit" omg, it was irritating! :roll:

Guest Anonymous

i have the same problem right now with Zoey.. When she jumps up on us we Step on her hind foot and it makes her get down.. we are also going to try the Bitter apple at class on Weds. and see if she jumps up and we spray bitter apple if it will stop her

In my experience dogs that jump up on you want attention, or are very exited to see you. What I learned is that if the dog jumps up give a firm "OFF" command, cross your arms and turn your back towards them. Then you turn around, give the "Sit" command and when they do you praise them and pet them. In my experience this has worked but each dog learns in different ways, good luck with whatever you do. :P

you could keep a short, light leash on the dog at all supervised times, and there are "no-jump" harnesses. Personally, and lots of trainers disagree when I admit I do this, but I grab a dogs feet for jumping up on me. I hold on until the dog starts to pull at it's feet, then I drop them and turn away. I guess this works because it's uncomfortable for the dog and grabbing at the legs is a dominant behavior, so you've made the jump up unsatisfying as well as letting the dog know that as an alpha, you don't like it. For Calliope, who, like your jada, is part kangaroo and spends most of her indoor time hopping onto counters, I slap her paws like a child's hands. I don't know if this would work for anyone else, but I used the command "off" and slap her paws, and she looks at me and I repeat "off" and tell her to back up, a command all my dogs know. I also use "leave it" and make her "leave" the counter (she's usually looking at something on the counter.) This is very "hard" for me to do because she is SUCH a sweetie and even though she often does this to watch me prepare food, she never, ever, goes for the food--she will put her chin on her paws and sigh while I slice bread, but never even reaches for it. One time she did nibble a chicken breast.

for the really stubborn jumper who wont respond to any of the above, there is also sound aversion. Get something that makes a high pitched
blaring noise, and when they jump up yell OFF and set it off. Even a wind up alarm clock can work, the kind that rings really annoyingly loud...

They attach the sound to the correction, and most dogs dont like loud noises. Make sure it's not a clock you actually use to wake up with. You want them to associate that sound with that correction.