Dogomania

AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY LIED ----- RR'S PUPS WERE AUCTIONED

Rosebud

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Please everyone cross-post this contact list and write to them. The Abilene, TX American Cancer Society lied to Board Members of RRCUS, they told them that the pups had been pulled from the auction, well they did take them off of the printed program but they still auctioned them at the Cattleman's Ball.

David M. Zacks, Chair
American Cancer Society - Board of Directors
Southeast Division, Inc.
2200 Lake Boulevard
Atlanta, GA 30319

Division Manager
American Cancer Society
Texas Division, Inc.
2433 Ridgepoint Drive
Austin, TX 78754

Regional Manager
American Cancer Society
209 S. Danville, Bldg. B, Suite 107
Abilene, TX 79605

Division Manager
Mid-Atlantic Division, Inc
8219 Town Center Drive
Baltimore, MD 21236-0026

Regional Manager
American Cancer Society
Region VII - Norfolk Office
2730 Ellsmere Ave
Norfolk, VA 23513

:angel:

:evil:

Oh it get's better, the breeder was present and she was upset about the pups only going for 200.00 each, she stated that these were very expensive pups that usually go for 500.00 a piece. Most quality RR's from responsible/respectable breeders go for anywhere between 1000.00-1500.00 for pet quality.

And the ACS pulled the RR's from the "printed auction list" but auctioned them anyways. I guess they honestly thought that we would not have people there to make sure they were pulled.

:-?

[quote name='K']This is rediculous...not only have they insulted all of us who genuinely believe this is wrong by continuing to go through with this sale they have insulted the breeder by letting them go without a reserve of at least 750 on them and they have insulted thier own fundraising by allowing them to go for peanuts...what is WRONG with people?[/quote]

The breeder is a BYB, selling pups for auction is a violation of the Code of Ethics of RRCUS.

One thing is for certain, since they removed them from the program but auctioned them anyways they can't deny ever telling RRCUS board members that they were not going to auction them.

[quote name='courtnek']If you can prove this, report them to RRCUS...they have the monbey and legal manpower to do something about it....[/quote]

This is the problem, it [b]is not [/b]against the policies of the AKC to auction off dogs. It is a violation of the code of ethics of RRCUS, however you are not required to follow the code of ethics to own an AKC registered RR, you are however required to follow the code of ethics to be a member of RRCUS.

The breeder is a BYB and either isn't aware of RRCUS or doesn't care. RRCUS is doing everything that it can possibly do right now to get the American Cancer Society to institute a company policy that bans the auctioning of companion animals at it's fundraising events.

It would be great if more breed clubs/rescuers joined and really let ACS know that this is an unacceptable practice in the world of dog fanciers/rescuers.

[b][size=6]Please, please, please keep your letters on a professional level, this is not a time to vent your anger, we are really trying to get ACS to understand the importance of not auctioning companion animals and angry letters, threats and foul language will only make matters worse.[/size][/b]

[quote name='HazelNutMeg']Ummm... can someone explain to me what's goin on? :oops: I feel a little in the dark here, what happened? :oops: :hmmmm:[/quote]

3-4 weeks ago, the Rhodesian Ridgeback Club of US (RRCUS) found out that the Abilene, TX office of the American Cancer Society (ACS) was going to auction off 2 RR's to raise money. RRCUS through a series of conversations, appeared to get through to the people there and they promised to remove the pups from the auction.

The fundraiser "The Cattle Baron's Ball" was this past Saturday night, October 11, 2003 and even through the ACS office in Abilene, TX removed the RR pups from the auction list they still auctioned them to the highest bidder with a note above the pups pictures that the auction was in accordance to AKC regulations.

So basically, what happened is that the only reason they pulled the pups was because they needed to find out if auctioning them was allowed by AKC regulations, not what was in the best interest of the pups or anything that RRCUS had discussed with them.

So the American Cancer Society broke their promise to the Rhodesian Ridgeback Club of US and auctioned off 2 RR pups for the sake of the almighty dollar. Well the almighty dollar turned on them and they only got 200.00 each for the pups and it's gonna cost them alot more than that to recover from the publicity damage that they have brought onto themselves.

:-?

There is some good news/bad news on this.

The winning bidder of the male pup returned him to the owner, he said that it was an impulse thing and that the pup wasn't getting along with his other dogs.

O.k what's wrong here,
won pup on Sat.
returned pup on Mon.

Sounds to me like the winning bidder was a plant for the breeder to try and get the price up and nobody bit or that the ACS is lying again to get us to leave them alone.

[quote name='courtnek']is there an email address available? I will send a (non-volatile, I promise) letter stating how I feel about auctioning dogs off for ANY reason...
no one checks the buyer, no one makes sure they would be a good dog owner...etc...

thanks Rosebud.[/quote]

I just sent my e-mail to the generic contact us and choose the option ACS sponsored events and complained about that particular event. The Cattle Baron's Ball in Abilene, TX

Make sure to mention the one in Abilene, there was one in Detriot the same night but they didn't auction any animals.

or you could contact either one of these individuals

For all media information about the American Cancer Society lobbying efforts, public policies/issues, state and federal legislative initiatives, and our work with federal agencies, contact:

Unice B. Lieberman
Director, Advocacy Communications
Washington, DC
Office: (202) 661-5710
Mobile: (202) 549-0095
[email][email protected][/email]

Rachel Tyree
Manager, Advocacy Communications
Washington, DC
Office: (202) 661-5710
Mobile: (202) 276-7843
[email][email protected][/email]

my letter:

I have just heard of the Rhodesian Ridgeback dog auction by the American Cancer Society in Abilene, TX, and I am APPALLED....

I realize the ACS needs to raise money for their cause, I dont fault them for that.
Money is necessary is ANY serious disease situation, to try to find means to find a cure. HOWEVER, I personally find their means, in this case, appalling...

You CANNOT auction dogs for this cause. They are living beings, who require
homes with people who understand dogs of this nature, understand what they
need to be normal, happy dogs, and what they need to be content in their
new environemt. We see this day in and day out with dogs like Pit Bulls,
who people buy because they are the "popular" dog right now, and end up in shelters because the owner did not know what they were getting into to...these dogs
as well need owners who understand their backgrounds, their history,
and what is necessary to provide them with proper homes. You cant auction off a dog, and expect that the buyers will know anything about THAT dog..

I personally feel that auctioning ANY companion dog is simply WRONG...
Some may do OK, the labs and goldens of the world adjust better to homes
where people know nothing about dogs, because they are generally loving
friendly dogs, but even in THOSE scenarios things have backfired...

PLEASE!! STOP THE AUCTIONING OF DOGS!! they are living creatures,
not lamps or blankets..their owners need to be checked out before owning these dogs...

Thank you.

Katy Courtney
Elgin, IL...