Dogomania

Need a chew- proof bed

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

We have a German Short-Hair Pointer, and she chews everything!! She is in a pen and we need to find a chew-proof mat for her to sleep on. Can anyone tell me where I can find one? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Doctors Foster and Smith is a terrific pet supply company, and their prices are some of the best around. They have a gigantic selection of beds, including the Dura-Ruff - chew resistant bed. Here is the website. I highly recommend ordering a free catalog. It is huge and contains everything a dog owner could possibly need.

[url]http://www.drsfostersmith.com/default.cfm?siteid=0[/url]

I know I sound like an advertisement, but I assure you that I am not. Just one very satisfied customer!

Guest Anonymous

The key word is "resistant" I had a dobie that was a world class chewer. and i got her one of those. I was picking up little pieces for a month. :) If your dog is like mine was your not going to find something that she cant chew up, but you might find somehting that takes her longer to chew up. I ended up buying a giant bottle of bitter apple and soakin the edges of her mat and then let it dry for a day. she all but stopped chewing after that. But i hear some dogs are not bothered by bitterapple and others even like the stuff :roll: . So you may or may not have luck with it.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the info. I will check out the catalog, maybe they have something for her in it. :D She's not in her pen too long...we let her out several times a day and for long periods of time, and she always has chewy toys and bones, but she just chews all the time...she ate half her doghouse! I'm hoping she will grow out of it as she gets older. Thanks again all! 8)

I love the Orvis dog beds. I have 5 of them in scattered around in our house and one at my folks for when we visit. (Only need one there since Whit sleeps in the bed with us.)

The Orvis beds that I buy aren't chew resistant but, they do make a chew resistant one that other folks I know have had good luck with. You can see them here. [url]http://www.orvis.com/store/product_directory.asp?dir_id=1633&Group_ID=1634&cat_id=1010&subcat_id=2[/url]

One other note

GSP's need LOTS of exercise. They are hunting breed dogs, like to run and roam and chase things. She could be chewing because she is bored
in her crate.

My girl is half GSP, and never had a chewing problem, but I have an 80X60 fenced yard she can run herself exhausted in.

Good luck!!

:D

i may be inhumane :) but dresden has a huge old bath towel in her crate, it looks like swiss cheese because she's had it a year.....she also has a kong and a nylabone to keep her busy in there.......lady has a woven mexican blanket but she's older and a lot less destructive...

Guest Anonymous

She is going to be 2 in Jan., but still has a lot of puppy in her. Her pen is 8x10, but as I said she is only in there overnight, and if we go somewhere. Hubby hunts her, so she gets lots of workouts and full run of the yard when we are home. She has nylabones, chew toys, real bones, etc... but still chews everything. Caught her chewing on my leather couch last night! :( I think we will try a one of those so-called chew-proof beds, but my money is on the dog,LOL. Bet she has it chewed up in a week! Thanks again for all the advise!

Guest Anonymous

TOWELS ARE INHUMANE? uh-oh guess im inhumane too. because thats what is in the crates, better than the hard plastic floor and cheaper than those mats that they just love to eat we have had 7!!! so i just started useing towles. one more thing i make sure they are dead exhousted before i crate them they shew less and are better sleepers. :P

A stack of old towels is probably your best bet. Towels you dont use anymore. Also, as a thought, you could try straw. They dont chew it usually, and it makes a VERY comfortable sleeping spot. The only problem with it indoors is that you have to sweep or vacuum it up, but it may actually be less work.

:)