Dogomania

Bladder Infection

stacer126

I know that one of the symptoms is that the dog is often unable to control when and where it urinates. Sometimes they'll leave a lot of little puddles around the house. Also if it's severe I think that there can sometimes be blood in the urine.

If your bringing your dog to the vet to have him or her checked for a urine infection (and you probably already know this) try to bring in a urine sample of you can.

Good luck! I hope everything works out okay.

Hmmmm... sounds familiar. No, not grossed out, I've been through this too. Very recently in fact! We have an older female Great Dane that is currently having similar problems.

Our vet told us that this is common in older spayed females. It's some kind of hormone thing. As I recall the trouble is not with their bladder but with control of (ahem) certain apperatures and the muscles surronding them.

There are two treatments. Our vet put our dog on some kind of hormone pill (the less expensive of the two treatments) and said that usually this will take care of it quite quickly. Unfortunately it hasn't really done the trick for us so we'll probably have to try the other treatment (forget what it is).

Don't mean to alarm you, but GET HER CHECKED IMMEDIATELY!!
My Abbie had that symptom - slight discharge and was not eating or having much energy. She had a uterine infection that was so severe (in all parts of her uterus) that we had to have her put down. PLEASE get her checked as soon as possible, if we had caught it sooner, she could have been saved with antibiotics or a simple spay (rather than the complete hysterectomy we would have had to put her through at the end, when she was too weak to handle the surgery)
Best of luck, and please keep us posted.

It's more likely she has a urinary tract infection, then a bladder infection. UTI's are very common, in peopke and dogs. If the discharge was kinda
like a watery/milky pus, then she probably has a UTI and a few days on antibiotics should take care of it. A bladder infection would cause pain
when she urinates, stop her from wanting to eat and cause a fever.

You need to get her to the vet either way. UTI's can become bladder infections if not treated quickly...

• 8 months later...
Guest Anonymous

My son has a pug and we have been dog watching for the last couple of days. We have noticed that his urine is extremely dark, my husband said it might have a tint of blood and that is why it is dark orangey color. Also the dog seems to always have to urinate. Any suggestions? :)

• 2 months later...
Guest Anonymous

I brought our huskie who is 5 yrs and spayed to the vet the other day. She's been urinating a lot in the house. She's been having quite a lot of accidents, and sometime urinates in her sleep. She comes in the house and drinks a lot of water as if she had run a marathon. She wouldn't leave the vet a urine sample. She was also running a low grade temperature. In the mean time we were instructed to give her 1/2 aspirin and an antibiotic for the infection. We're trying to get a urine sample from her to have it tested. It doesn't seem like she's getting better. She seems depressed a lot too. We went out for an hour and crated her while we were out. She had another accident in her crate and was shaking to get out knowing she had to go again. I hope the vet is opened the day after the fourth. She doesn't seem to be improving. I just don't want this to be the sign of diabetes. I only say that because my cat was diagnosed with diabetes.

some of those symptoms are the sign of diabetes, I am sorry to say. the excessive thirst and then need to urinate is typical of this disease. But she could also have an infection from the spay. A simple blood test will tell the vet if it's diabetes or not. If you cant get a urine sample, a blood test can also be screened for a high white blood count, which is also a symptom of infection. good luck to you! I am a diabetic, so is my son, so if I can help in any way let me know.

Have any of you had any luck at the vets??

I hope they're all feeling better...

I have an overactive bladder myself and am constantly getting bladder infections ( about 5 / year ) so I know its NO FUN!!! :( I hope they are all feeling better soon,

Kara

Taurus gives you all licks in hopes that it will cheer you up! :lol:

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0aQClApQhlQ71Vpx4uO!*u1bS8XIfAt8!kqAF*JQP!4ZI8wpYcHF*ss116YY!tR*n9dNhLy9vx7mV*IXOSAloYwnkjQwhWRt87HXTy5Rbeod57b5V3l3h9Rim18*IKWlPMQxzGcaBW8CdbjL4tWO7QOunxGJ6yZP8/Havin%20a%20taste.JPG?dc=4675476965631680908[/img]