Dogomania

What shampoo to wash my staffie in?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi
I was wondering if anyone out there with a staffie bull terrier could give me some information about what dog shampoo you use for them as i am about to get my first staffie and i know that they have very sensitive skin.

Thanks very much
Danica :)

My SBT likes to roll around in dry dusty dirt when he's outside. He gets really dirty and because of this I need to bathe him more frequently than I would otherwise. I think I'll try K's suggestion with the wet flannel next time.

Like K, I just use regular dog shampoo from Petco. It has never seemed to have any ill effects. His coat is really smooth and shiny!

i've ben using Mane and Tail shampoo on my dogs for the last several years and really like it. it was made for horses but you can use it on dogs just as well, i often use it for me too :) it is very gentle and thorough and you can get it at wal-mart in the pet dept, it's not too expensive and you can dilute it about 50% because it's a concentrate.........good luck :)

I know you all seem to be having success with baby shampoo but it actually will not be good them. Human skin has a different PH than dog skin. Human shampoo is too acidic for dogs skin and will cause it to get dry. It is best to use a dog shampoo if possible. However, grocery store brands (Hartz, etc) are not good either, usually too harsh. There is a great company called BioGroom that makes excellent shampoo for dogs. It is expensive but it lasts a long time. I have had the same bottle (12 oz) for a year now and we bath 2 dogs once a week. JRT's are prone to dry skin and it is recommended not to bath them more than 3 times a year. However I could not do that!!! This shampoo is so wonderful it actually makes her skin healthier. My vet even asked what shampoo I use cuz her skin and coat are so nice. It is kinda like the food issue, you really are better off using natural products.

Guest Anonymous

I guess im not alone, i use plain old dog shampoo with coat shine stuff in it. For the amount of baths you wll be giving its not something you want to go broke over. I usually take drey in the back yard and geth the hose out. wet him up, lather and rinse and be done. i have given him 3 baths since i have had him. that is one thing i really love about bullies they arent as bad smelling as some breeds i have had.

very easy grooming, for people omn the go(like me) a must have.

At the dog grroming shop I work at we use bio groom, E-Z groom, Alexanders own (if you own a double coated breed its a miracle shampoo, rinses out like a dream) and a few other products... of course I know your Staff has a very short coat. We use oatmeal shampoo for sensitive skin and we have had great sucess...and we have other shampoos for sensitive skin which I cannot recall the brand names of...a good quality dog shampoo is very expensive but also concentrated so you can mix it with water and a little goes along way. We also order oatmeal conditioner and mix some in a spray bottle with water and spray a little over the dog after the shampoo and brush through the coat then rinse...really give a shiny coat. She also has a really nice dog tearless shampoo, we use this seperately on the dogs face...it is also for sensitive skin.

We have used human shampoo on our dogs with no adverse effects. BK get bathed maybe twice, three times a year, so it doesn't matter that much for him what we use (trust me if he reacted badly to people shampoo I would get him dog shampoo!) and he looks just as petulant whatever the shampoo. :P He's a really clean dog even though most of his time is spent outside, I swear Tomson the spoilt inside dachshund smells more than he does, and he gets regular baths. Blitz just doesn't smell at all... it's great... :D