Dogomania

What else can I feed them? - Raw question -

Daisysmom

Most of you know about the trouble Daisy was having with her bowels, and since I took her to the homopathic vet, she has been wonderful (only a small bout lately after eating another sock :o ).

My problem is, I am sick of cutting up raw chicken backs :x Is there any other raw food I can give my dogs that would be easier, and a little variety for them?

You could always try the pre-packaged barf meals. When were to busy to prepare the food one day we always give them that instead. The brand I use is Healthy Paws but I'm not sure if you can find it there because its Ontario based. you can check out the site to learn more about pre-package barf if you like.

[url]www.healthy-paws.ca[/url]

Even for Chelsea? She is only 9 mo. I thought they would be safer if cut up :roll: That's what the vet told me to do..... I think Daisy would be okay.

But, anything else like beef or etc?

(P.S. I did look on the site from Canada, but it is only in Canada- Thanks)

My dogs get a homemade "BARF meatball" in the morning. Here's one way to make them up [url]http://www.whitneyandmason.com/new_page_3.htm[/url] I varry the ingredients a bit depending on what I find on sale at the store. I've been adding more beef heart lately for the taurine.

For their evening meal our staple is raw chicken backs but I also try to feed a variety of other raw meats. I feed turkey necks, chicken necks, lamb necks and YES, I do also feed pork necks. I do not feed beef neck bones....they are just too big and hard. I know quite a few BARFers do feed beef ribs but, the expense was enough to talk me out of that. What beef they get they get in their BARF meatball.

[quote name='Daisysmom']Thanks Nancy!! That's great. I just looked at the link for the meatballs. [b]Yum pureed chicken liver sounds so tasty [/b]:lol: Great idea to make a large amount and then freeze. The eggs are raw too, right?[/quote]

Yep, everything is raw. I will say that as far as the eggs go, I don't use them in the meatball as much anymore. It was a real hassel drying the eggshells and grinding them. Now I just simply "smash" a whole raw egg (shell and all) into a meatball meal a few times a week.

It's quite a bit of work to make up a batch but, it means that I don't have to do any prep for weeks after that. I keep them in the freezer and, when I'm getting ready to feed their evening chicken backs or whatever, I simply take out the meatballs to defrost. By morning, they're defrosted. I do usually add a bit of warm water to them and "break them up" a bit before I give them to the dogs.

I did wind up using pureed beef liver more often than chicken livers. The pureed beef liver has a thicker consistency....the meatballs can get very "mushy" when you use the chicken livers. You may need to add a tablespoon or so more of the veggies to absorb some of the moisture just to get them to hold together.

That "recipee" is a good starting place for you. You can add stuff or change whatever you want. Just try to keep in mind the moisture content so that it'll hold together. (The meatballs are very wet....it's not like making a meatloaf. You should be happy if they'll just hang together enough for you to be able to wrap them in saran.)