Dogomania

(NEW)SEE PICTURES-Aggressive behavior at vet

Angelboddy

I have a black lab that i've had since she was 5 weeks old. She is not an aggressive dog at all and has never showed her teeth to no one enless she felt like our family was being threated. Well when i took her to the vet for her regular check-up and shots, she lunged at the assistant and showed her teeth to the vet and tried to bite him. I have never seen that side of her before and it frightened me. I have taken her to the vet before and she has even gone to groomers plenty of times with no such problems. I wonder if she is trying to tell me something. And i am wondering if anyone has had the same kind of problems with their pets. At another post they told me that it was because i was a irresponsible owner. And don't know how to raise my dog. Am I? And what caused my dog to act so weird that day?

[u]See some pictures of my pretty girl[/u]
[url]http://community.webshots.com/album/74697891WxMVGn[/url]

couple of questions - was it the same vet from before? and assistant?

did anything painful have to occur at the last vet visit - (not just shots)

and how did the checkup go? is your lab sick, or ok?

My lab only likes one of the vets at the clinic. She never snaps or tries to bite, but she will grumble pretty loud....And when she gets her shots
I hold her head in my arms. She never reacts this way to anyone else, except the mailman....if she's not sick, the easiest solution is to muzzle her after she gets there. Some dogs just dont like the vet - It brings bad conotations of shots, blood drawing, whatever else may have happened there. And some dogs just dont like some people....

you are not a bad owner because your dog doesnt like the vet. I bet a lot of peoples dogs dont like the vet. I dont like dentists....

:D

No, WE moved from arizona about a year ago. So i had to find a new vet. Nothing bad has happend to her. Just the female assistant came up to her to give her a treat and pet her before the vet came in. Nothing bad. And she prefers females over males. She is great with people coming up to her at parks and such. I just don't know what set her off. :confused1:
She is in great condition and is very healthy. Oh, and when the vet gave her the shots it was in her rump? Is that right. I have never seen any vet do that! :o

My English Setter Jasmine (now sadly passed away) was the softest most docile dog in the world. She loved everyone. Yet when I was in hospital this plumber came to fit my new bathroom suite, he was about 50ish and she took an instant dislike to him. On the second day my sister and Jasmine were in the house and he dropped the old toilet, it fell through the dining room ceiling along with one of his legs, :o :D :o :D :o :D Jasmine ran in, jumped up and bit his leg. She had never shown aggression to anyone in her life and never did after. I think she was getting revenge for my ceiling as I had just had it done. :lol: :D :lol: :D

Give her a chance, she may have sensed something and did not like the vet. My Rosie is very particular about people, she'll go up to some and stand and bark at others, although not aggressively just as if to say "keep away from me I don't like you". :x

Guest Anonymous

A lot of dogs sense that their owners are nervous about taking them to the vets, and it causes them to act out much worse than they would if it was treated like "just another trip to the petstore" (or whatever :lol: ). I noticed this last week with the lab x I used to walk, her owners had previously had to have her sedated just to get her shots (I think the vet was probably afraid of her though, because that seems ridiculous to me :roll: ), and they had always taken her before. This time, I walked out to the car to get her, brought her in, and she got a bath, nails trimmed, shots, blood drawn, all sorts of stuff, all without her being too bad (this was a different vets office than the one who required she be sedated). Trips to the vet for our dogs are no different from trips anywhere else, and the only one who gets upset is Goo (I don't blame her, though, as she was kenneled in the basement runs for 2 months before she came to stay with us). I see a lot of people there who walk in with a dog who is ok, pretty calm, and maybe a little nervous, and they pet and coddle the dog the whole waiting period.... by the time the vet calls them, the dog is so worked up, it's a nervous wreck. People automatically assume that the dogs will freak out at the vets, but a LOT of the fear the dog has is caused by the owner (maybe even unconsciously) rewarding that reaction, and/or being nervous/fearful themselves about how their dog will react. That's not to say that some dogs don't develop a dislike for the vets office because of being treated there, but I think in most cases, the owners make the situation worse. For a while, Haley was getting blood drawn every week for sugar level testing (still gets it done at least twice a month usually), but she LOVES to go to the vets, because she's never been taught that it's a "bad" or "scary" place.

Guest Anonymous

Couldn't edit my post since I'm not logged in, but I forgot to mention that Haley also had a leg cut off(sugery #1), was spayed(#2), had the stump from the amputated leg drained out on numerous occasions (fluid built up in there), and had several drains put in there(#s 3,4,&5), so she would be a prime cantidate to hate going to the vets based on past experiences there :lol:

when i take lady to the vet all she can think to do is try to escape, she pushed the door open twice when we were walking by it and when we got in the room she sat in the corner by the door and was alternating between shaking so badly her teeth were almost rattling or staring at the door knob. she has never ever liked the vet but one time this really obnoxious tech was really rough with her trimming her nails ( i should have just done it myself, i've always felt bad about asking them and her getting all scared) and ever since she's hated the place, she likes the vet lady she just hates to be there.

i am expecting some trouble out of dresden when i take her just because she's' very vocal and can be growly and mouthy anyway. even when i move her a little bit often she'll growl at me. so of course i tell her no very firmly and move her as many times as it takes till she stops......

maybe you should try a different vet? was this a woman vet?