Dogomania

"Soon he will grow fur..."

[color=blue]Mouse, if everyone starts hateing theese stories of mine, they can blame YOU! It was YOU who said you'd like to hear more! :D [/color]

Ok, so yesterday when I took Ben on this grass medow near our home (actually it's just a couple feet away) to walk with him a little and let him smell the days news (a lot of dogs pass through there, so there's a lot to smell) we met this nice lady in her 60-70's. We started talking about dogs and no matter what I said, she was convinced that Ben would grow fur and that I have just shaved him.
"Yes, he looks really grait when he grows some fur." she said.
I looked at her and explained that he doesn't grow fur that he's a hairless breed wich she commented with "All dogs grow fur."
"No, I mean that this is the way he looks. He will not grow any more fur then he has right now." I explained (again).
"Oooh, so he'll be like a human then?" she asked "With just hair on his head and tail?"
"Umm... Well... I guess you can put it that way." I said (I've bever heard that someone thinks of a hairless dog as a human :o).
"Yes, he'll look just grait when his fur grows a little bit." she said again... There was nothing I could say or explain to make her think that Ben was a hairless dog, so I just gave up.
Is it so weird with a hairless dog?? :o

[img]http://personal.inet.fi/koti/crested/summerof2002.jpg[/img]
I don't think he looks that odd or weird... Do you? (Photo taken on his first birhtday last year)

/Crest

Jen: Thanks! :)
I mean... With a hairless dog you're bound to get all sorts of diffirent comments. One of wich is: "He looks like an overgrown rat" and another "He looks like a hyena"... :o Atleast I don't see any resemblence to any of thoose creatures... But mabye it's just me... 8) What do you think?

[img]http://personal.inet.fi/koti/crested/beware.JPG[/img]
[img]http://personal.inet.fi/koti/crested/flygsnappare.JPG[/img]
[img]http://personal.inet.fi/koti/crested/little_devil.JPG[/img]
[img]http://personal.inet.fi/koti/crested/mina_tein_mita.JPG[/img]
[img]http://personal.inet.fi/koti/crested/playing_bennyboy.JPG[/img]
[img]http://personal.inet.fi/koti/crested/vasy.jpg[/img]

(all of the pics are from BEFORE he was fixed)

/Crest

no i do not see any resemblence to any of those animals you mentioned.....he`s a gorgeous little swetie :iloveyou:

by the way, just out of interest what was Ben like after you had him "fixed" as wethink weare going to get our 3yr old jrt "FIXED", and i am a bit worried :-?

Sheltielover: Isn't he?? I can't believe some people think hairless dogs are ugly!!

Jen: He really is a fantastic creature, no matter what anyone thinks.
Just after Ben was fixed he was a bit "on his guard" for a few days, but after that he was just himself. The first time Ben was up on his feet after his operation (it was at two) was at five, but his feet were REALLY wobbly and he just kept falling down and going against walls and such, so I had to put him back to sleep. That was a bit hard, because the little creature is SO pig headed. When he decides he's going to be up, HE'S GOING TO BE UP!! So I had to sit with him untill he fell asleep. Then he got up at seven in the evening and this time he was just a bit tired and blurry in his head. He didn't exacly understand what just had happend, but after a couple days he was to himself. The first time he went peeing the same night he had had his operation, was hard. He really had to go, but the peeing really hurt so I had to take him out twice just to get him peeing normally. The third time went ok, but the two first were horrible. It was awfull seeing him like that, but once a week had passed he was just like before.
I had kept the woond so clean that it was completely healed when we took him to the vet to remove his stitches.
Now he has started to pee like the girls, but he does sometimes lift his leg still. But the marking has stopped and the mounting and all of that! He allso pays less attention to other dogs.
The time when I took him to the vet to remove his stitches this little dog had just came out the vet's door and was barking at Ben. Ben looked at him and his head "flopped" to the side and he just looked at the little creature like "What's the matter with HIM?!" (it was a boy) And turned away. The little guy got really suprised by that like.... "Hey... Wait a minute... I'm barking here and... you don't care? Did I miss something or what?"

I got loads of help from the dogomaniacs here and I'm really gratefull! Without theese crazy and weird people (take that as a compliment :)) I wouldn't ever have got Ben fixed. I fondly recomend it! I was at the operation and I don't care what people say, it was NO BIG DEAL! There was about 2 drops of blood and that's it. One came when she put the drop in and the other came when she pulled the drop out. (And I swear I'm not makeing this up!!) She made just one cut and literally pulled out one testicle at the time, tied the vain or what ever in the middle and clipped off the testicle. And there was NO BLOOD! My mom had told me that it will be really messy with loads of blood that I will probabely faint! [b][i][u]HA![/u][/i][/b] Guess again!
Well... I guess I won that argument.... :lol:

Oh, and even though it took a lot of convinceing to get her to accept the fixing, now she too thinks it was a grait idea!

There's one thing that can happen after the fixing. A dog might go up in weight. Ben started eating more, but he is still the same weight as allways 7,6kg's.

I hope this helped!

/Crest

[color=blue]oh thank you crested[/color],
you have really put my mind at rest,i think we`ll go ahead with it now. we were supposed to be speaking to him about it tomorrow :-? i feel a bit more confident about it now, thanks again :D

Crested- I'll admit it. I was one of thoes people who thought Hairless dogs were ugly. :oops: But you changed me! Ben is soooo absolutly adorable. :P I was actually thinking about getting one but they are small dogs and I have a big 80lbs dog and I dunno how good that would be. :-?

Oh and congrats on getting him neutered! :D

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, I'm the same Startfox!! I thought they were so ugly too! But then I saw Ben and was like "AWE!!" hee hee, he's such a cutie!! :D

Jen: Well, I'm glad I could help!

Mei-Mei: Well... When you're a Chinese Crested maniac you try to know everything and that's one thing I found out immediately when I started searching for information about CC's. I have even thought that I would take a powder puff as my third dog (Yeah... dog madness rules! :roll:) or then an American Hairless Terrier.

StarFox: Well... When I first heard that there are hairless dogs, I thought to myself that they MUST be ugly and that I'll NEVER take a hairless dog. Well... Never say never... Now I'm getting ANOTHER one! :lol:
I think a Chinese Crested will do just fine with a big fellow. Here in Finland there's a breeder that breeds Chinese Cresteds and Mastiffs, so... :wink:
Or then there is the Peruvian Hairless Dog (Perro Sin Pelo Del Peru) or Mexican Hairless Dog (Xolo... Darn... I always forget that long version... They are called Xolo too...). For example Perro Sin Pelo Del Peru has three size variaties, small, standard and large. :)

StarFox & Hazel: Actually, you're not the only one! My dad thought that he'd just look at the pup in real life and if he thinks it looks horrible, he'll say no then and there. Guess who got his heart melted? :lol: Now Ben and dad do practicly everything together... And dad is the kind of person who can't say no, so... You know that Ben sees this family like I'm the leader, mom is a little bit below me, then comes the big man Ben and last comes dad. :? Well... I've told dad that he's the only one that can change that, but does de histen?? NOOOO! And when dad tries to do any simple trick with Ben.... let's say sit and shake hand.... it goes like this:
"Sit... paw... paw... sit... sit... sit... paw... sit... paw... paw... sit... paw... sit... sit... paw..." :roll:
I've got Ben to do practicly anything and everything from "Gimme five" to "dance" (Ben walks on his back legs around and around and around... dances. :D) with just one word without repeating it. Dad looks at me with big eyes (:o) and askes "HOW DID YOU DO THAT?!". :lol:

/Crest

Guest Anonymous

I always think of them like My Little Pony dolls or little tiny Shetland ponies!

You are always going to get weird comments when you have an unusual dog. I tell you, if I hear the stupid saddle comment or anything involving riding my puppy one more time I'm going to just...oh heck...nothing. You just have to sigh and grin and laugh like it's funny.