Dogomania

New Puppy - NEED ADVICE, Please!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

We pick up our new lab puppy, MacKenzie (female) tomorrow. We're adopting her and she is around 10 weeks old. This is the letter that I got this morning about MacKenzie:

"Just wanted to let you know, Mackenzie had her surgery yesterday(spayed) and she is doing fine, I thought it would slow her down a bit, but, Sorry to say, it did not slow her down at all, She still loves to play and run, but for the next week or so, she needs not to do this, but you tell her that.

Also, she still poops in the house, but does not pee,,,,I can have her out for several minutes and when I bring her in, she poops,,,not sure why, but she will get it soon. She also bits your pant leg when you walk, which I have been correcting her, but she does not listen, and also, she loves to eat tanbark."

I have a couple of questions - what can I do to help with the training to poop outside? Could it just be that she is not keeping her out long enough? We will be using the crate training method at our house.

What can I do about the attacking your legs while walking?
And - what is tanbark??
Thank you in advance!
- Alyson

Hmmm, I don't really know why she only poops indoors..it could be that you don't take her out long enough. I know it's difficult, but if possible try and catch her when she looks as if she is about to go, i.e circling, sniffing the floor, or after she's had a long sleep, a big meal or a play.
Try and stay out until she's been and then when she goes really make a fuss of her, give her a treat and play ball with her or something she enjoys.
My puppy used to chew my jacket when we were out for a walk. I used to jerk his head away with the lead, and say 'NO!' everytime he did it.
Eventually she should learn, I guess it's just a puppy thing to chew and seek attention all the time. If this doesn't work you could try holding a treat in front of her nose as you walk (like you do when teaching heelwork) so her attention is on that instead of your clothes!
When she is good and doesn't nip, give her the treat, and eventually she'll learn not to do it.
Not sure about the tanbark, I'll try look it up and get back to you.
Hope this helps...good luck with your new baby!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I am training a new puppy as well - and found it very helpful to walk her around the yard after the piddles and then within a minute or two she will poop just find out there. I think that the movement of walking helps to get her bowels moving a bit. Keep the dog out there...moving until the business is done - then PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE.

I am shocked that your puppy...only 10 weeks old has already been fixed?

We were at the vet today for Molly's shots and first check up (her previous two sets were done by the breeder in another Province) and the vet stated that they will never do the surgery before 5 1/2 months - preferrably closer to 6 months with a smaller breed.

It worries me that your dog was done at 10 weeks?

Did I read that wrong?

Misstiblu :lol:

Guest Anonymous

I am learning quick to be repetative...and Quick with this gal.
She goes from sleeping to 60 mph in 3 seconds LOL

Oh..to have that much energy again.

:lol:

I do wonder why they would have the dog fixed so young..this is the first time I have heard of that. Will keep watching here to see if anyone else responds. This is a great place!

Misstiblu

It is very important that you get your puppy used to the appropriate surface you want it pooping on. If you want it pooping on grass, it needs to be pooping on grass as many times as possible when it is so young. If your puppy gets used to pooping on carpet you'll have a much harder time breaking it of pooping on carpet. This could be the case already. It is very important that you take it to the appropriate place when it is showing signs. Sniffing or circling nervously. If all goes well the puppy will only feel comfortable pooping on the grass and will usually hold her bowels until she can get to the grass.

It is also important that you use the same door when house training so the dog understantds how it is supposed to get to the grass.

Slim

A good way to break the play biting with the pants is to get a squirt bottle and shoot a little stream at the dogs face while she's trying to get your pants. Most dogs hate the water in the face. By using the squirt bottle the dog wont be able to tell that it's you that is causing the discomfort so it's not going to hurt the bond that you're trying to form.

Play biting can be very annoying with the sharp teeth and I found that this was an easy way to break my puppy of the habbit. I needed to add a little vinegar to the water because the plain water was not doing the trick. He really didn't like the vinegar.

The squirt bottle worked for my puppy not to sure it will work for yours. It's worth a shot, though.

Slim

When we purchased Tobi from a pet store 5 years ago (I didn't know then that puppies should never, ever, be bought from a pet store), he was used to pooping and peeing inside his crate. It took a long time to get him to poop where we wanted him to since he was so used to doing it inside his crate.

Motivation is the only thing that worked and being consistent and vigilent about taking him out.

Dogs aim to please so if he had an accident right after we brought him inside, we showed him our dissaproval just with the tone of our voice. It took weeks, but he caught on. I think love and constrant training are the key factors.

Good luck.

i have a male Australian Shepherd and he was fixed at 7 weeks. it is called an early neuter. And yes the sooner the better. Before they learn all those nasty habits. As for the pooping outside my aussie won't go right when he goes outside so I walk him around a bit and he goes everytime. He is only 12 weeks old and is pretty much housebroke. There are some times when he still has accidents but more often than not he goes outside. I also use a crate for him and he has done very well in it.

I didn't read all of this so sorry if this was already said...

It helped train Shadow when we soaked up her pee with a paper towl to put the soaked paper towl outside (ancered by a rock). She then associated peeing with outside, so it worked. Don't know if it would help with pooping too or not though.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I was watching this show called "good dog" - and its this quirky man who trains dogs with little problems on his show. He was dealing with a dog who would walk between the owners legs and get in the way and i think his advice would help. Every time your puppy bites at you when you are walking stop walking and wait for him to stop when he stops verbally praise him or give him a treat and keep on moving. The trainer said it might take a while longer to get where you are going but he trained the dog right on the show and after a few minutes the dog was walking beside the owner perfectly! good luck!