Dogomania

CHINESE CRESTEDS IN NEED!!!

Crested

Do you think you would be able to give a loving home to a little Chinese Crested?  

1. 1. Do you think you would be able to give a loving home to a little Chinese Crested?

• Yes, absolutely!!
    • Yes, I would... but I can't.
    • If I would live in the US/Canada, I would...
    • Don't have the room/time/chanse
    • No. Sorry. Humans or other dogs are more important
    • No!
    • Why bother? Someone takes care of them anyway!

I found this link to a Crested Rescue in the US and Canada! Plese help theese adorable little dogs! I really fell in love with Isaac, but I unfortunately live in Finland and can't adopt... :cry:
Do you have room in your home for a little hairless or furry fellow?
Visit [url]http://www.crest-care.com/[/url] !

I'm turning 18 this autumn and I'm thinking of opening a hairless rescue here in Finland someday when I have the money, time and opportunity!

Untill then I can atleast try and spread a word that even Chinese Cresteds need help!

Oh, I would just want to go up to thoose little babies and give them a warm, big, loving hug!

Do that for me will you?

/Crest

I know there will not be that many hairless dogs in need. I doubt it that I will even have 5 a year. And the idea of the whole thing is that they would have a normal home enviroment to live in, so I would be keeping them at home and caring for them untill they are ready to be rehomed. Thet's the basic idea of the whole thing. Allso I would neuter/spay them unless it's a matter of an allergic boy or girl who can't keep his/her dog no more and that the dog has papers.
How do you think that sounds?

/Crest

I would do extensive research into laws on pets/home, liability, rehoming, current operating rescues. I would wait till you are done post secondary and have a career started and therefore have some financial stability. I would in the mean time volunteer with a similar rescue group to learn the ropes and see the pitfalls. It's not a dumb idea but you should plan carefully.

:lol: Did you think I was going to start a rescue for hairless dogs just like that?! :lol: Ohhh, man! :lol:
...ehm... sorry... :oops: No I am going to wait! I just don't know exacly how long I CAN wait, when hairless dogs are getting more and more popular...
Last year I sent an e-mail to all the dog shelters here in Finland that I could find asking them if they have ever got any hairless dogs there, and the anwser was no. Luckilly some breeders have been nice enough to help some poor dogs out searching a home for them.
I still think with the riseing population on hairless dogs, will cause a need of a hairless rescue. I guess I just have to wait and see.
But if I find out that there is a single hairless in a shelter... You bet I'll get it out from there to a home enviroment (even though Finnish dog shelters are really neat and nice) and search for a home for that poor little guy/girl.

/Crest

Hi Crested,

If you want to start a Crested rescue I highly recommend the book Breed Rescue by Sheila Webster Boneham. It is an invaluable sources, and should be required reading for anyone who is wanting to start a rescue group.

I also suggest you contact your local shelters and rescue groups to see what the legalities involved in starting a group are. Laws differ from country to country, and other groups who are already involved in the process should know what is required by law of those working in animal rescue. They can also provide you with contacts to local vets who give rescues a discounted rate and help you in establishing your adoption requirements, intake protocols, etc.

Best of luck,

Rachel

Crested, why not contact your countries Breed club or clubs, Join them
many breed clubs do rescue, they may be able to help you to get info
on it, or maybe able to pass you on to someone in your bred that is involved with it :lol:
That way you can offer your help and learn at the same time

roo

roo: The finnish Chinese Crested club is really not that good in my eyes. First of all, it's not a registerd club, second, they don't do rescue and third they fight with another breed club all the time. That one is for all finnish hairless dogs. They ARE registerd, they do a little rescuing as private persons so there isn't a real hairless rescure. According to the Finnish Kennel Club (asked about this) there isn't according to the law any breed club for any hairless dogs in Finland on the lowest level. Chinese Cresteds are in the Finnish Toy Dog Assosiation, but don't according to the law have a leagal breed club lower then that.
The Finnish companion dog club would want the Chinese Crested for themselves (wich I see nothing wrong with, I even think it would be a grait thing), but the Finnish Toy dog association don't want to give Cresteds up, because they are one of the moast popular toy dogs (wich gives them a lot of money).
I'm a member in The Finnish Kennel Club, the Finnish Toy Dog Association, The ("illeagal") Chinese Crested club, The hairless club and the kennelgroup that does all the dog activities where I live, so I guess you could say I'm in the centre of it all.
I have asked around the breeders if they think there is a need for a rescue for hairless dogs and the anwser was "not at the moment but in the future, yes".
So I will start looking again for all the shelter webpages and e-mail addresses I can find and ask again if they have had any hairless dogs in their shelter last year and asking them to contact me if they ever get one so I can decide what to do.
When this whole thing becomes more relevent, then I'll aks the Finnish Kennel club about the laws surrounding this recue thing.

What do you think? Do you think I'm "on top of things"? :lol:

/Crest

[quote]Labs are even more. Makes me mad and sad at the same time.[/quote]

Yellow - Have you looked at the numbers section of petfinder, there are thousands of Labs posted at anytime. I think that if you take all the Labs together (they are listed in several section) the Labs make up nearly a 1/4 of all dogs listed. :cry:

• 2 weeks later...