Dogomania

Wolfdogs

luckychaos

In about a year were moving to a house in the country and I'm thinking about getting a wolfdog. I've heard if raised from puppies and well socialized then can be pretty good with people, depending on the percentage. But I know you can't train them like with regular dogs.
Has anyone ever had a wolfdog before?

Guest Anonymous

I personally think that people owning a "wolfdog" is just sick and wrong. Wolves are wolves, and should be kept that way. I love them so much, and while I love dogs a tone, Wolves are always in the top of my list because their so wild and majestic, that's what makes them so special and unique!
But this is just my opinion...

Lucky, think REAL hard about this.....

A wolf/dog crossbreed looks alot like a dog, and in some respects acts alot like them, but it is NOT A DOG....

The wild instincts are still there. They need lots of room and exercise,
they need to be under constant control. You will need to thoroughly dominate this animal and NEVER let it take control of the household or yourself. No sleeping on the bed. Absolute obedience at all times.
No sleeping at the top of the stairs while you are downstairs. Some people have luck with them when trained from 6 weeks on, but there are no guarantees that something will not make it revert to it's wild instincts.

An example I once read about this goes like this:

If you put a suitcase in the middle of the kitchen floor, your average dog will either ignore it or investigate it. A wolf mix however could easily feel threatened by it, especially if it's blocking the doorway and panic.
A wild animal in panic mode is very dangerous.

It can never be allowed to slip into Alpha mode under any circumstances.
That's why you need such tight control all the time. All in all, unless you are very accustomed to training and handling an animal like this, it's not a good idea. Also, in some places the vets are not allowed to vaccinate mixes.

I had one that was part malamute, part bordie collie and part wolf.
I didnt know about the wolf part until the vet examined him and told me.
I got him as a puppy, and while he ended being a very good dog there were always dominance issues going on. I had to be the hand of steel
to control that dog, and it was not easy. And he wasnt even a half mix.

IMO, I would have to honestly say I dont think it's a good idea. Sorry, Lucky.....

:(

Lucky, I have one more thing to add.

Jarvis ended up being a good dog, but only because I had him on the tightest "leash" possible. He followed every wolf pack characteristic,
tried to take over more than once, tried to be the Alpha because in
his mind, it was his place. I had times when I literally had to risk my own safety to dominate him. Get him down, roll him on his back against his will, and put my hand to his throat (what the Alpha would do, except with teeth) to make him understand that I was the Alpha and HE wasnt.

It was an ongoing battle all the years I owned him, and only because I
studied wolves in college was I able to make him see me as Pack Lead.

They dont kneel under well to females, and perhaps a male would have dominated him better, but I won. As he got older he accepted me as Alpha, but the first 4 years were a constant struggle. The only person
he didnt try to dominate was my son, a baby at the time, and he
actually saved Kyle's life. A dog with wolf in him needs a strong, capable hand in handling them. If he went into "wild panic" the authorities would
put him down, without hesitation.

Lucky, there were times when I had to nip him, on the ear, to show him who was boss....The wild in them has a much stronger hold then the domestication we have given dogs. PLEASE dont do this.....

I dont want you injured, and I dont want the poor animal to have to be put down because it's natural instincts took hold....

Although wolves are magnificent animals, I don't think that they should be pets. Their wolf instincts will remain, and it might not work out as expected. You can't be influenced by stories like "Gentle Ben" "Free Willy" "Julie of the Wolves", etc, where it seems as though the human beings and wild animals are harmoniously sharing their lives naturally, with little training or work. Wolves belong free in the wild, and they don't deserve to be tamed and take orders from humans.

Plenty of experience with dogs, training, and wolves would be required for it to work out. Don't forget to think about how to fix things when it gets out of hand. You need to be responsible for the dog, not only at the moment, but for the rest of its life. Think about being fair to the dog, cuz they don't have a chance to voice their opinions about anything.

IMO, wolves shouldn't to be bred and domesticated. Why would you need a wolf for a pet when there are hundreds of great pet dog breeds? Pretty soon we'll be domesticating some wacko pet like elephants and everyone will have a miniature elephant.

Thanks for answering I wasen't really really serious about it I was just thinking. I know that they can never be fully tamed. And besides rescuing a dog and watching it bloom into a great pet is better then having an uncontrollable possibly dangerous wild animal any day.

Guest Anonymous

luckychaos said[/quote]And besides rescuing a dog and watching it bloom into a great pet is better then having an uncontrollable possibly dangerous wild animal any day.

What about if there are nice Wolfdogs in an animal shelter? I know a woman who has rescued many Wolfdogs and only a few were unable to find homes but only because of abusive owners before her.[/quote]

Guest Anonymous

I am at least glad you are talking this all over with us luckychaos! Most people wouldn't care what others had to say and they'd just buy the mix anyway. I understand how people feel about Wolfdogs but after all, they need love just as much as any other dog. Right?
All dogs deserve love.

In this area it is illegal to have a wolfdog. In this area no matter what shots the wolfdog gets it would be considered unvaccinated as there has not been testing done to determine effectiveness. The dog cannot go to obediance, the dog cannot compete in any events, the dog will be pts for testing if it breaks anyones skin and they report it. Wolfdogs are not quite like dogs, you will not have the devoted doggy companion that you would have with say a lab. This is an animal that is going to do alot more evaluating of your relationship. They are large and powerful and dominant and can have difficutly forming bonds, they are prone to fear biting and skittiness or dominance and aggression. They are lovely animals and rescuing them takes dedication but does have its rewards. Breeding them around here for pet use is irresponsible as most people are incapable of handling them and they face more BSL that apbts in most areas of north america.

I too think that it is wrong to own a wolf. Wolves are wild animals and that is that. It can be very dangerous too. I see owning wolfdogs like owning a bobcat/domestic cat mix. dangerous and pretty wrong too. What if the wolfdog got out and attacked a human, or the human thought it was being attacked, but really wasn't??? I don't like it.

Thank you Paddle. You put it much better than I did. They are beautiful animals, I had a friend who had a 1/2 mix, but he was very large and ominous looking, and the wolfdog had the utmost respect for him.

He was the one who showed me how to control Jarvis when he started acting up. He ended up moving to Alaska and taking Carlos with him because the vets wouldnt treat him, the neighbors all hated him, the poor
dog was ranted against constantly. While it can be done, for the ones someone ireesponsibly bred, I am completely against breeding them.
And like I said, it takes a VERY strong hand to handle them.

Thanks, Lucky, for asking and for thinking it through.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I had a wolf/husky mix. I never had any problems with her around people or any other animal. She was nothing more then a big baby. I would find someone who breeds them and spend time with them. Just like with any other animal alot of it depends on how they are raised.
I know in a lot of states or areas the wolfdog breeds are outlawed without a special permit.

• 4 years later...

allow me to introduce myself:

I am President of Wolfdog Rescue Rescouces, Inc. A Federal Tax Exempt wolfdog rescue organization: [URL]http://www.wrr-inc-org[/URL]

my history is on this site, I have over 24 years experience with wolves and wolfdogs. I also have a live in high mid content wolfdog that is a member of our "pack" which includes 3 golden retrievers, view for yourself:

http:/www.renokeo.com

please visit our site....and read the educational links there. wolfdogs are not for everyone, but for those who are educated on them, and understand them, they make an awesome companion. The do require extra containment, an extra attention... and sometimes it means you are pretty much tied to them, for most boarding facilities wont accept them if you want to take mommie and johnnie boy to the beach....... I choose to be tied... and I would not have it any other way.........

Feel free to Pm me or email me at the address on the rescue site or my home page. My name is Ken ([email protected])

here's my girl

[IMG]http://www.renokeo.com/keoclose.jpg[/IMG]