Dogomania

Temperaments in puppies?

Mary's Mama

[quote=Mary's Mama]Those of you with breeding experience (or not), have you noticed or do you know of any literature that supports temperament as either genetic or at least inherited in some way? Do you believe that the temperaments of the parents will be passed onto the resulting litter?[/quote]

Yes, temperment is genetically inherited. There has been research, too many to list.

Use the internet to research this, or a local library. Look under Inherited Traits.

Guest Anonymous

I think it Depends. If the dog is agressive towards humans then no it should not be used for breeding unless it is a Fila or some other breed like a XOLO where agression is encouraged.
But you have to keep in mind with a shy dog why is it shy? Is it due to genetics or lack of socialization as a pup? Was it abused? Was it attacked by another animal or human at a young age? There are many many variables but usually if it is due to a lack of socialization it will get better with time.

Thanks for the comments. I was really just curious. I bring home my pup in 6 weeks. The main deciding factor for me was the temperament of the parents. They are both great dogs, the pups are being raised in the home with children so getting lots of human interaction, the mother so far has done a wonderful job taking care of them, there is another adult dog in the household, and he has 4 siblings. We will leave him with his mother till he is 10 weeks old. So I think this pup should be having a great start in the world and I just wanted to know if it all really mattered? I hope it helps him be the best dog he can be.

Genetics is a powerful tug on the mind of a dog (or anything, really). I always remember something that Gooey and Sasha said (says) --- their dogs may be shaking because they want to do what their inherited genetics are screaming for them to do --- but, they have spent so much time with their dogs and have trained, managed, handled them in such a way that they --- revert back to their training. Okay, not in those words, but that is what they meant.

The inherited temperment is going to always be there --- but, right...training, handling, socializing sure does help.

Of course, it always helps the best to not breed ill tempered dogs.