Dogomania

Breeding terms

Prairie_Gurl

PG, I think this is reasonably correct:

Inbreeding is breeding directly down the family line eg. father to daughter, brother to sister, maybe even grandparents (not sure though).
Linebreeding is uncle-niece, auntie-nephew, maybe cousins too.
Cross breeding in broad terms is getting any two dogs together and letting them go for it, so you get something like this:

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SQDdAtUWUmIIlzn251nLnMrBSGkDsXEsoIrRgXujqQDcXMsd1VjqxJDybCTnvGZ8byLZpJOThsibHoXXJoYhq9LZCpQVMd3yCaKeDZfKHl7R2oxJw89PMg/bktongue.jpg?dc=4675409206505830453[/img]

(this is my dog, a blue heeler/border collie cross- he gets the "blue" spotty fur and the white star-shaped Bentley mark on his head from the heeler, and the solid black on his back and the drop ears from the border collie, and his tongue from I-don't-know-where!)

It also may, in breederspeak, mean hiring a stud dog from a completely different "line" ie. a line of the same breed of dog not related to your own at all- to breed out undesirable traits or breed in good ones.... there are tons of people who could explain this much better than I though I hoped this has helped a bit! 8)

Umm no, I don't think so!! :wink:

Cross breeding is when you take the dogs, and evaluate their faults. You choose a sire that say has a great head and topline and overall shape but lacks chest and size and breed him to a bitch that has a lessor head and topline, but much better chest and size. This is done, of course after health testing and with great consideration about which dogs will throw what. I believe this is more technically called cross fault breeding.

Line breeding is using the pedigree to strengthen certain traits. If you have a bitch with certain traits you want to cement, you would breed her back into the lines in her pedigree, generally within the last couple generations, to the lines that those great traits come from. So ie you have a bitch with fabulous angulation and you want to keep that strong, you research and watch the lines and what they are producing and see that she has Happy Kennel lines and that kennel is producing nothing but top dogs with great angulation, so you would breed her back into that kennel line.

In breeding as far as I know is only used as a negative term just like with humans.

Out crossing means breeding from a line far removed so as unrelated to your own line.But you do stay in the same breed.

Line breeding is using dogs with a close inbreeding co-efficient uncle niece,aunt nephew,
cousins,grandparents.

In breeding is sire daughter,mother son,brother sister.

I am going 1 step further(at my expense)With in a 7 generation pedigree
it would be called line breeding as outlined above.After 7 generations even though related in the 8th generation it would be called an out cross.

I hope I did not make any mistakes.LOL
They love to correct me so now you will get your info. :fadein: :fadein:

LOL. So, out crossing means to breed your dog to a dog that isn't closely related to your own dog, but staying in the same breed.

In Breeding is when you breed your dog to one of his/her sisters, brothers, mother, or father.

And Line Breeding is when you breed your dog to another dog pretty closely related (grandparent, uncle,etc.) but not part of it's immidiate family like in breeding.

But you totally lost me there on that whole 8th generation thing.

Jez, this stuff is pretty complicated LOL.

[quote name='Prairie_Gurl']LOL. So, out crossing means to breed your dog to a dog that isn't closely related to your own dog, but staying in the same breed.

In Breeding is when you breed your dog to one of his/her sisters, brothers, mother, or father.

And Line Breeding is when you breed your dog to another dog pretty closely related (grandparent, uncle,etc.) but not part of it's immidiate family like in breeding.

But you totally lost me there on that whole 8th generation thing.

Jez, this stuff is pretty complicated LOL.[/quote]]

<<<But you totally lost me there on that whole 8th generation thing.>>.

Ok up to 8 geneations they are line bred.After 8 generations it is "out crossed' since the inbreeding co-efficient would mean they were no longer
as closely related .

:)

A cross breed is a mix.

Alicat...I think you are thinking of Cross Faulting. When you breed two dogs because they complement each other.

Inbreeding and line breeding are the same thing. One is sticking in a toe, the other is stepping up to your knees.

Out crossing is going for a COI of 0%. This means as unrelated, but within the same breed. Out Crossing is often done in a breeding program to bring in somthing that is lacking.