Dogomania

BIG Bag of Dog Food

DogPaddle

PetsFirst Holistic Chicken and Rice is a good food but only available delivery in the lower mainland and a few US states. http:[url]www.pets1st.com[/url]
Chris is my rep. They are very nice, never pushy. 50 lbs comes in two 25 lb bags for freshness, delivered right to your door.

Wysong can be purchased in 40 lb boxes of 5 individual 8 lb bags.

A lot of brands come in 50 lb bags that are not good foods. Kibble is encased in fat that can go rancid quickly especially after opening. The fat coating helps the kibble pass through the digestive system without as much irritation. When rancid it causes diarrhea. Anyways, most good foods don't come in bags more than 30 or 40 lbs.

Ah, that must be it. I'll check with my local distributors and see what they suggest because at this rate I'm stopping to buy dog groceries nearly more often then people groceries, when all the dogs are grown they will be eating almost 50 lbs of dog food every two weeks according to the suggested feeding on the bag. Might just have to buy more bags every trip.

Well I did the Pets1st when we were going to feed kibble and it's really convenient. I'm not normally a person who likes to deal with a 'sales rep', but they aren't pushy and they're really nice. They weren't pushy at all even when I decided to feed naturally and were really interested. I still get supplements from them. Anyways, they keep a record of how many dogs you have and what size, and keep track of how fast you go through the food so they know about when you need some more, call you up to double-check, and then next thing you know it's at your door. Not bad, especially since I live up a hill! The shipping and handling was only like $5 American for 50 lbs! Easily worth just the fact that I didn't have to lug that all around!

Guest Anonymous

When I switched from Iams to Natural Balance, the bag was smaller (Iams was 20 pounds, Natural Balance is 17 pounds). BUT, I go through less food and buy it less. My dogs only eat about 2 cups TOTAL a day (he's 35 pounds and she's 18 pounds).

We are currently feeding Mmillenia from Solid Gold/HundznFlocken or something like that. Its a good quality food with dense kibble and we are looking something similar. I've checked distributers in my area and no one has any options for larger purchases (the local distributer to pet food companies only offers a couple bucks discount on their massive orders and the shipping costs suck.) I do like what Mmillenia does for their coats. I'll have to see if pets1st will deliver in my area and decide from there.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='DogPaddle']We are currently feeding Mmillenia from Solid Gold/HundznFlocken or something like that. Its a good quality food with dense kibble and we are looking something similar. I've checked distributers in my area and no one has any options for larger purchases (the local distributer to pet food companies only offers a couple bucks discount on their massive orders and the shipping costs suck.) I do like what Mmillenia does for their coats. I'll have to see if pets1st will deliver in my area and decide from there.[/quote]

I can't imagine having a bill that big for dog food. Hubby was just screaming today when I said our vet visit on Saturday will cost $130 for two shots each and heartworm treatment for the year!

Guest Anonymous

Jeeze. My check book register starts on January 16th and there is NO check to PetCo written on this register....I guess this 17 pound bag has lasted almost a month, so far!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='gigishiba']When I switched from Iams to Natural Balance, the bag was smaller (Iams was 20 pounds, Natural Balance is 17 pounds). BUT, I go through less food and buy it less. My dogs only eat about 2 cups TOTAL a day (he's 35 pounds and she's 18 pounds).[/quote]

The Natural Balance Ultra Premium comes in 35 lb bags as well.

Dog Paddle if you like the Solid Gold, maybe you can get that delivered? The Mmillenia I believe is a beef based food, whereas at least the kind of Pets1st I used was chicken based. There are often smaller local delivery companies for an area, but you have to do some looking around to find them. good luck!

Guest Anonymous

I don't know what you guys feed but I only go through two 50lb bags a week and that is with 7 dogs. Also No they are not skinny at all.I do mix cooked white rice to their food a couple times a week though.Maybe you have bigger dogs though. I feed Nutro Natural choice for high energy dogs or I feed Maximum Nutrition Performance they are basically the same all the same ingredients listed in all the same order etc.. I just have to alternate because sometimes the stores run out of one.

K - how much does your Saint weigh?

Laduenda - You go through 100lbs of dog food for 7 dogs for one week? So if you had 3 dogs you'd go through around 85lbs of dog food every two weeks if you only had three dogs. Sounds like approximately the same amount of food, perhaps a little less, but your probably right, the difference will probably be due to the size of the dogs.

Alicat - [quote]Mmillenia I believe is a beef based food, whereas at least the kind of Pets1st I used was chicken based[/quote]
We have tried a chicken and lamb based dog food - Wellness. Kavik would only eat the lamb based if he was REALLY hungry, the other dogs were not that interested in it. The chicken wasn't much of a hit either. The beef - they like and their coats are great on it, the stools are not runny like they often were on the other food. I have heard feeding a chicken based food is better for them, is this true?

Here's a converter...it's 154.2 pounds!! WHOA! What kind of dogs do you have?? [url]http://www.dhl-usa.com/lbs-2-kilo[/url]

DogPaddle, I just mentioned the main ingredient because if you find that a beef based kibble works great you might not want to switch to chicken. I don't think either chicken or beef is inherently better, all dogs do well on different things, and then some people like in Europe might have reason to avoid beef. What works for you may not work for others. The only diet I don't like is the lamb only kibbles, just worry about natural taurine vs supplemented.

[quote name='laduenda']I don't know what you guys feed but I only go through two 50lb bags a week and that is with 7 dogs. [/quote]

ONLY TWO 50 lb bags a week for SEVEN dogs?? Yikes, I have eight dogs (some small and some large) and a 30 lb bag lasts a week and a half and some of my dogs are STILL fat. I can't get over it.... 100 lbs of food a week for seven dogs. :-?

[quote name='alicat613']That is interesting...
It would be more interesting :) to know what breeds you both have and what food you are feeding!

[/quote]

A'ight, since you asked... *deep breath*

I have a Lab (about 80 lbs... lost a bit of weight after his hip surgery),
Standard Poodle at about 55 lbs,
Pit Bull/Boxer mix at 50ish lbs,
Mini Schnauzer at 25ish lbs,
Male Lhasa Apso (mutant :roll: ) at about 30 lbs (definitely battling weight problems)
Female Lhasa Apso at about 16 lbs
Chihuahua (another mutant :oops: ) at, get this, close to 20 lbs (we know he's poorly bred :lol: ),
Toy Poodle at 8 lbs.

Granted, none of these are giant breeds, but I still cannot imagine going through 100 lbs of food a week with 7 dogs! Eeeek! Oh, and I feed Wellness. A 30 lb bag lasts my gang of 8 about a week and a half if I feed them ONLY that. When I supplement with a cooked diet, it stretches much further, of course.

Thanks for answering, fellow Standard lover! I really did want to know!

Well size isn't everything (well for dogs at least :lol:), like I hear that a full grown Dane eats less than a Lab.
Also feeding Wellness, you're going to use a lot less than someone who feeds a lower quality food.

Dang....that is a BIG chi!! My 2 cats together only weigh 18 pounds!!
Badly bred maybe...but well loved I'm sure!

Ok now more answers for comparison please! This could be an interesting little study here!

Sorry, I feed meat and stuff, about 2 pounds meat a day plus veggies and carbs, so I can't really participate in my little study. How 'bout I supervise?? :D

Ah you give me hope Horsefeathers. We feed Mmillenia which is in the same class of food as Wellness. Maybe we won't be sent to the poorhouse by the dogs. The Mmillenia bag dosn't list amount of food per day for dogs over 70lbs so I've estimated but maybe I'll check out their website too.