Dogomania

Flat Coat (haired) Retriever????

Daisysmom

I was told that Chelsea was a Lab/Retriever mix. I assumed a golden retriever. But, I saw some photos in a new pet supply and think she is a flat-coat. Please look at the link in my signature, and the the one just listed below, and let me know what you think.

[url]http://www.fcrsainc.org/photos.html[/url]

[color=blue]I wrote to the Flat Coat Retriever Socitey and this is what they had to say:[/color]
Dear Gina, It would be very difficult to tell from the pictures about your pup (who is VERY CUTE!) . I am often called to see dogs that shelters believe are Flat Coats, and 99.9% of these turn out to be Lab mixes of some sort. The most common is Lab/Golden, but I also see Lab/Border Collie, Lab/setter, Lab/Chow, even Lab/spaniel.
As you may know, Flat Coats are very rare, and these hard-to-find, very expensive puppies would almost certainly never find their way into a shelter. Only a few litters are bred each year, and the babies are cherished and protected by breeders and puppy buyers. The very occasional adult Flat Coat who needs rescue is usually the victim of human problems such as divorce, job changes, family illness, etc.
The Lab/Golden cross, which I suspect your pup may be, is such a good mix that the resulting "Goldador" is purpose-bred by some of the guide dog organizations. This mix produces dogs that are intelligent, highly trainable, beautiful, and loyal: perfect for work as service dogs. If your pup has even a few white hairs, on chest, toes, or tails, then this is almost certainly what she is.
Good luck with this precious babe. If I can help in any way, or provide more information, just let me know.
Joan Dever, Secretary, FCRSA

[color=blue]Chelsea does have a white spot on her chest, so I think she must really be a "Goldador"... too weird for me to say. But it sounds pretty confirmed. [/color][color=black][/color]

Guest Anonymous

Hi! I am a breeder, owner, trainer, lover and exhibitor of Flat-Coated Retrievers. I've posted here a couple of times, but mostly just lurked. Glad to see that you got such a nice reply from Joan--she is a very nice person, and a real asset to this breed.

It is really hard to tell from photographs if a dog is a Flatcoat or not. The super-important thing for any dog is that it is in a loving home, and it is obvious that yours certainly are!

If anyone has Flatcoat questions, I can sure try to answer them. You can see my doggies on my website: [url]http://www.evensongfcr.com/wabana/[/url]

Karen

• 1 month later...

I always wondered if perhaps one of my dogs (who I adopted from a rescue shelter) could have some Flat Coated Retriever in her. She was rescued from the pound, so there's no history on her, and her breeds are just conjecture. The shelter and vets guessed that she's a Golden Retriever/German Shepherd/Collie Mix. I always wanted to have a Golden Retriever and a Flat Coated Retriever. Well, I have two Golden Retriever mixes, and one is golden and one is black, so I guess that's as close as I'll get! :wink: I think Flat Coats are just beautiful dogs.

[quote]As you may know, Flat Coats are very rare, and these hard-to-find, very expensive puppies would almost certainly never find their way into a shelter.[/quote]

It sounds like they don't give them up very easily :roll: I know for sure now, that Chelsea is NOT a flat coat. But, you never know what yours could be mixed with..... sometimes.... the gate just gets left open :lol: