Dogomania

Invisible fences for dogs.

Micheline099

What do you think about this? is it OK? I looked and the SPCA approves of it, so it cannot be that cruel.

I would need one because my dog found a way out of our fence and I live in a place where there is lots of traffic (the dog could easily get hit by a car or worse, get stolen or lost)

Need opinions here.
:roll:

Hi Micheline, my personal opinion on invisible fences is that they do no good to a dog that is determined to get out of the yard. A dog like that will ignore the shock and escape. Also if your dog has a high prey drive he will most likely ignore the shock to give chase to whatever it is that's caught his eye. You said you live near a lot of traffic so the consequences of this may mean your dog losing his life to a passing car or truck. :(
The other bad thing about these types of fences is that they do not stop other dogs and people getting into your yard and harassing, tormenting, or stealing your dog.
I think with invisible fences you can also up the shock if it is not keeping your dog in, but this can scare the hell out of the dog as well and someone on this forum (cannot remember who) feels guilty to this day that she shocked her dog once and he's never forgotten it and will not go near the fence. So it can work, but at what cost...?
Is there a possible way to fix the weak spot in your existing fence?
My personal advice is to build a good solid tall (6ft) fence, with additional measures to be taken if he is a jumper or a digger. Expensive maybe, but so are invisible fences. :wink:

Good luck and I hope some of this has been helpful!

Another thing about these. If the battery goes dead. IT doesn't work (DUH). And, since you said that you have a regular fence that the dog is escaping from, keep in mind that the invis fence requires a collar with a transmitter. Just something else for your dog to get hung up on.

It should be called something different. As noted, it doesn't protect your dog from the outside world. I've heard of dogs running out and not being able to get back in. Then there's the battery problem. I wouldn't trust one at all.

I do know someone who has one. She lives in a weird place where they aren't allowed regular fencing by the neighborhood association. She has the electric fence but doesn't use it as a regular fence, never leaving her dogs out without her right there.

[quote name='Mei-Mei']I dislike invisible fences for some of the above reasons, but approaching the whole thing from the point of view of a pedestrian:

I was taking a walk in my neighborhood and passed a house with a man gardening in his front yard. His medium sized dog was in the yard with him. As soon as the dog saw me he ran toward me barking and growling. The man yelled out, " Don't worry, we have invisible fence." Well, I wasn't really worried, but do you know how disconcerting it is to have a dog growling and slathering at you within a few inches of your body? It wasn't the most pleasant experience, let me tell you. :x[/quote]
My piano teacher's(in TX) neighbor has an invisible fence for his Dal, and he actually ran out of the boundaries when he saw her(teacher) Golden going out.. :-?

Aside from the previouse I have two problems with invisible fences.
1. It is not safe to leave a dog unnattended with the shock collar on. Even if you are there keep some good scissors handy. I have seen a dog recieve 1st to 2nd degree burns and loose control of his bowels due to an accident. (this dogs collar was the bark collar but a similar situation could in theory occur)
2. Other people do not know your dog is secure in your yard.
At best they may report you to the city out of concern for your dog. They also may take it upon themselves to pick up your dog to bring it into your house if they thick it is not secure. If your dog runs barking at someone, they do not know it will stop at some invisible spot. They may become very frightened. Some cop, maybe doing a yard by yard search in a foot chase might decide rover is "charging him" and overreact.