Dogomania

Help re strokes.

Bensam

Does anyone know of a good site on the 'net with info about strokes in dogs or has anyone had any experience with this? My boy is being treated for acute arthritis and now has had a minor stroke and I was wanting to find out about rehab. from this condition. Can anyone help, please?

Years ago I had a grey hound who had multiple strokes in her old age. Dogs recover from strokes a lot easier and quicker then people. I do not have any links...but if the stroke was mild, give her some time...she should come back as her brain re-works itself.
Good luck

That is terrible. I hope the outcome is good. I searched the net, but only come up with "heat" stroke.

Would you feel comfortable giving him water with a syringe (so he won't dehydrate)?

Do you think the medicine for the Arthritis caused the stroke? Is he on Rimadyl, by chance?

Bensam, sorry to hear that about one of your dogs. :( As you know Rinny has arthritis (he's on Rimadyl :-? and celery tablets I think) and had a stroke almost a year ago. He is on some type of anti-dementia tablets to help with his movements after the stroke, I think to increase blood to the brain...? Hydrotherapy is supposed to be very good for arthritic dogs as well. If you have a pool, lake, river etc. (are you near the bushfires? :( ) see how he goes with that maybe... good luck...

Things aren't good, I'm afraid. Phoned my Vet a while ago, Ben just getting worse by the minute, no feeling in his legs, just lying there. I'm taking him over to the Vet in the morning again. He's afraid that the discs in his back have prolapsed totally and has told me to be prepared for the worst. God, I dont want to lose him, but I afraid that's going to happen.
If he could only be better for one day and enjoy life for another minute and be PTS when he would know I was there with him and not have pain. Damm damm it's not fair. At least by morning I wont have any tears left. I cant even pick him up and cuddle him, it hurts him.
Sorry to unload but it's only us stupid dog people who know what this feels like.

Hi, it's 7.30pm here and I am not long home from a very long day at the Vets. and that after a bad night. I am now hoping for a miracle. Yesterday Hobbit posted a site to look at and then I did some searching re the meds. he was on. There was a tenious link between them, rang my Vet. who wasn't happy with my suggestion of stopping the meds. Anyway I decided to, so he had had one at 5.30am yesterday then no more. All yesterday he just lay there, by evening he had no reflex action at all and no eye movement, the urine was just running away. He was the same this morning headed for the Vet. 150k trip. About 10ks to go, he tried to lift his head and focused his eyes on me. I tell you I was bawling, got 20mls water which he lapped off the syringe. By the time I left the Vets, he had reflexes in 3 legs, still not standing, eyes good and responding to voice. He is at the Vets on a drip, blood taken, more xrays, not out of the woods by a long shot but just maybe? Vet. nearly agreed he had a reaction to the meds.
Mei Mei every time I lose a dog I swear there will be no more, but there always is, we are suckers for heartbreak, aren't we? I know just what you are going through. So sorry to hear you are suffering too.
Thanks everyone for your thoughts I really appreciate being able to talk to you all and it's not so hard to type where no-one can see how often you have to dry your eyes. Love you all.

Mei Mei - how are things with you? Please let your news be hopeful too.
Ben - (not writing a book today, you have all been so great ) Phoned the Vet. Ben is very slowly improving, can stand and is eating and drinking a little. More tests to be done.

Guest Anonymous

OH Bensam! That is so good to hear! Any improvement is wonderful! Looks lik we all have a lot of positive thinking to do for both of "our"(dogo members) sick babies.

Please keep us posted on the PROGRESS!

good news Bensam hoping it all turns out for the best for you and your little angel :angel:

Hobbit, now I have heard Rimadyl is bad too, but can you tell me why exactly? In Rinny's case he may be too advanced to do anything about his meds but I might mention it to the "elders" :wink:

Hi BK. Hobbit will probably give you all the right places to look. I was sent a link re a condition with symptoms similar to stroke. Very interesting.
Anyway it describes the problem causing ataxia. I then did a search on Rimadyl, it says one of the side effects can be ataxia. I'm practically convinced now that it was the cause of Ben's collapse,( have yet to convince my Vet.). Apparently liver damage can be the main worry, thankfully Ben's test cleared that.

[url]www.peoriahs.org/vestibular.html[/url]

[quote name='bk_blue']good news Bensam hoping it all turns out for the best for you and your little angel :angel:

Hobbit, now I have heard Rimadyl is bad too, but can you tell me why exactly? In Rinny's case he may be too advanced to do anything about his meds but I might mention it to the "elders" :wink:[/quote]

Here are a few website's that deal with Rimadyl (Carprofen):

[url]http://www.srdogs.com/Pages/rimadylfr.html[/url]

[url]http://www.pfizer.com/ah/rimadyl/tbull.html[/url]

[url]http://www.doglogic.com/rimadyl.htm[/url]

[url]http://arthritis.rimadyl.com/[/url]

[url]http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_rimadyl.html[/url]

[url]http://www.gooddogmagazine.com/rimadyllawsuit.htm[/url] --- Lawsuit over the death of dogs allegedly caused by Rimadyl.