Dogomania

Breeders Ethics

Guest roo

Guest Anonymous

Okay breeder ethics:
*All health tests for the breed should be done. No if, ands, or buts about it.
*The female should be 2 yrs of age before whelping if not older. In large breeds if they are not this old it can hurt hips.
*Sire and Dam should be UTD on all shots, wormings, and etc. before mating.
*Mating should have a "purpose". For working dogs it should produce good working dogs. For show dogs it should produce "good" show dogs.
*It should be "planned" in advance.
*Females should have "season" off every year if not more. Say breed once a year, 2 "seasons" off.
*All pet quality puppies in show dogs should be on a spay/neuter contract.
*I believe in Microchipping. That is just me.
*You should be able to take back every puppy you produce from your dogs if the need arises and you should tell new owners of that fact.
*You should be at least somewhat versed in genetics.
*You should know your dogs line like the back of your hand.
*I think you should pick an owner for a pup not a pup for an owner.

My list is probably a little more than ethics and I could go forever..

Guest Anonymous

jac's mom,
i agree with most of what you are saying. In my sales contract I state that the pup will come back to me if they can't keep it. Pet quality pups are to be altered or no papers. Do the appropriate health testing and DNA testing if DNA tests are available for health issues in your breed. For instance, in my breed I do eye exams at 8 weeks on all pups as some eye diseases in my breed can be seen at that age. And yearly on breeding stock til about 6 or 7. PRA is late onset in my breed. You should be able to do genetic pedigrees to help you determine the likelihood of something being passed down. To do this you need to have a simple knowledge of genetics, simple knowledge of statistics and know the dogs in your line like the back of your hand and what they have had and what they have produced. Dr Padgett has a book that should be memorized by every breeder, The control of Genetic Disease in dogs.

Guest Anonymous

There are DNA tests available for some diseases in some breeds. Von Wildebrands disease, some types of PRA, some diseases specific to some breeds. There are about 3 labs out there. Most are based with universities and the university that does the test will get to sell it.
For more info go to the AKC Canine health foundation. [url]Www.akcchf.org[/url].

As far as specific tests in my breed, there is a test for what they call type A PRA. This was a form of PRA found while reaserching for the type that is seen in our breed most commonly. type A is not found in any of the lines that have been tested so far so the test is basically meaningless. It is only found in the dogs they used for the test breeding colony. And there is a DNA test for Myotonia. This is a muscle disease. It is only found so far in descendants of one top producing stud dog. so only those that have that line need to do that test. These are just some examples.

Guest Anonymous

I had ONE litter of Shibas.

Never again.

If I would ever have another litter...which I wont...it would be a breed that typically has SMALL litters.

Three Shiba pups that don't listen or respond and are only WILD or SLEEPING was enough for me. :roll:

Guest Anonymous

I don't breed often. My Breed, the Bulldog, requires a C-Section to deliver pups. Anesthetic risk is greater than some realize. The healthiest dog has been known to die on the surgery table. I will only breed my girls one time. I normally won't breed until 3 years of age. Bulldog's mature late and I want to be sure the health is good, the jaw is still straight, the legs are sound, etc. I will not breed a dog with a health problem no matter how good they look or how many titles they have acquired.
I don't breed to sell pups. I breed to keep my lines and to show. I prefer to alter any dog that won't be used in my breeding program. I will only place a dog with people that have passed my "exam". :D I am prepared to take any of my dogs back at any time. I do not place a pup limited registration as I feel it is worthless with all of the new registries available. I prefer to give a dog to a good home than to sell one to a questionable home.
I study pedigrees and have linebred as well as outcrossed. In the process I have bred some exceptional dogs and some that were very disappointing conformation wise. The one thing that has never been compromised is the health.
I am active in rescue and feel that anyone that breeds should also rescue.
I am sure this is way more than you wanted to know. :)

Guest Anonymous

WD, I agree. Limited is WORTHLESS!! These new pseudo registries like apr do not honor the breeder's wishes and will register it. i feel that is very unethical of them but that's an entirely different thread. :) They use the lame excuse that breeders use it to limit thier competition. This is how this registery for the puppymillers, by the puppymillers think. They only think breeding dogs is about being a cash crop, not to improve and keep up the standards of the breeds.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Horsefeathers!']Oh, joy! I have a Mini Schnauzer, too! Of course, you could probably name just about any breed of dog anymore and I might have one.

In keeping with the topic, breeder ethics.... I think people should be stamped with expiration dates when born!

Oh, you mean dog breeders. Nevermind. Continue...[/quote]

:lol:

Guest Anonymous

The byb and commercial breeder normal response when talking about selective breeding in canines is you dont test Humans, you aren't careful in selecting which humans should breed. My pat answer is we should be :) and actually yes there are some tests for humans, taysachs, is one that comes to mind.

My 13 year old mini (family dog - lives with my mom) is one of those puppymill dogs. We got her from one of those AKC puppy brokers back when we didn't know any better. They said she was from a local breeder, but when I looked at the papers later she was really from the great state of Missouri. I wouldn't trade her for the world, but geez, she's 2 inches too big for the standard, has luxating patellas, a slipped disc, a bad hip, and is prone to fatty tumors. Now she's gone deaf too - probably from listening to her own high pitched yaps all these years. She still runs around and acts like a puppy. She puts up with Kato, but all Schnauzers are to be treated with total disdain. Reminds me of my saltwater fish tank where we couldn't put 2 fish of the same size and shape in or they'd fight. :lol:

Well I am commonly called "the nazi" by people looking for a dog... ;)

I do eye tests, heart, and patella on my chins. These tests were just adopted by our parent club but there are no requirements or requests to do them...most people in our breed don't...its just an option. Also breathing problems, epilepsy...that sort of thing, we check for and won't breed. Our pet puppies are fixed before they leave (ooooh wanna hear ppl call you some ugly names, do that) they are microchipped and the chip remains registered to me. We have a care policy and return agreement, breaking that, they agree to pay $1000 for each infraction to the parent club for rescue...
hmmm...I won't place a dog with some one for various reasons...and my mother thinks that all men who want one must be gay, or they won't take care of the dog properly :roll: ;) Talk baby talk to them...etc... ;) Hmmmm.... When I breed I usually keep all but one in the litter...although this last litter I had 6...never had that many..three has been my top... so I am keeping two... probably take me a year to place them.. ;) but oh well...

Other genetic tests for people are marfism, phenelukadystrophy, kleinfelters, and a couple of others...

Some states require testing for Taysachs.

I am not generalizing either...I have found the same thing to be true..for some reason, gay men and women, just seem to be more serious about dog ownership......they seem to have no problems with s/n, are more often receptive to contracts, etc...have no idea why? but they have been some of the best homes.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Poofy']I am not generalizing either...I have found the same thing to be true..for some reason, gay men and women, just seem to be more serious about dog ownership......they seem to have no problems with s/n, are more often receptive to contracts, etc...have no idea why? but they have been some of the best homes.[/quote]

One of my best friends is gay and has been with her partner for 36 or 37 years. They have ALWAYS had dogs and are [u]wonderful [/u]with them.

They also have outside cats (strays) that they feed, plus they feed the birds and squirrels what ever else comes along!

[quote name='newfiemom']Hobbitt, you are almost making me feel bad for being on unemployment!!![/quote]

So very sorry, that was not my intentions. It was merely a statement.

Drawing an Unemployment check, while looking for employment and wanting another job --- is quite different from someone that can work, just don't want too because they are too lazy or because they would rather live off the government.

On bended knees, asking for your forgiveness.