Dogomania

Breeders of working stock

Guest roo

Guest Anonymous

On that note....my brother called today.

A few months ago there was a man that had two German Shorthair pups...

Accidently had two. Only wanted one, ended up with two....can't remember the story.

Anyway, the female went to a new home.

This weekend, the 6mth old female went back to the breeder because the owner said "she doesn't hunt like her parents". Well duh. They need training too. :roll:

Soo....my brother might get her!

Some times it can be hard, breeding for just working lines...and some working dog breeders feel that it doesn't matter one bit what the dog looks like and if it can work, then its obviously healthy...just as some show people think that all it has to do is be able to win...sad really...has made a big split in many breeds..

Sigh.

I was very impressed with the breeders of working dogs I met. They would not sell dogs to people without livestock (I was looking at BCs) They would talk for hours if you wanted about their dogs and working traits and training even if they wouldn't sell you a dog. The one breeder referred me to a breeder of non-working lines BCs after ensuring I had some idea what I was getting into and was going to do something (agility, flyball etc) with the dog. I think for the most part breeders of working dogs produce good healthy dogs.
GSD question on this topic: what is with the slopey back end on some GSDs, someone said that trait is exagerated in showlines and minimized in working lines, is this in anyway related to the hip problems some GSDs have?

[quote name='DogPaddle'].
GSD question on this topic: what is with the slopey back end on some GSDs, someone said that trait is exagerated in showlines and minimized in working lines, is this in anyway related to the hip problems some GSDs have?[/quote] YES!!! This is a trait that is exagerated by the breeders of the "American" show lines. There are basically "3" body types in the GSD. The American Show, West German Show, and Working. Actually, there are more than 3 types as the West German working dogs look quiet a bit different than the Czech dogs. Some folks do blame the major angulation in the American dogs for the hip problems. But there ARE dogs with very sloped back that have good or Excellent hips. Just like there are dogs with "straighter" back that have awefull hips. Bet that was more info than you wanted huh?? :D If you are interested I can try to post some photos of "Show vs Working GSDs" so you can see the difference.

[quote name='Hobbit']As with every walk of life, there are good breeders and bad breeders....ranging from very good to very bad.

[/quote]

[b]Good breeders:[/b]
Most breeders of herding bred dogs will not sell a puppy to a pet family. It is unfair to the pup that has a strong herding instinct and desire and even more unfair for the pet owner.

It is a falsehood that herd-dog breeders are ONLY breeding for one thing; herdibility. Without excellent conformation, the dog could not do its job. He would break down and not be able to continue. Many hours, months and sometimes years are spent perfecting the working ability in a dog, not to mention years of selective breeding to produce that dog.

The majority of these breeders, if the dog shows no interest in herding, they are put to sleep. They are not sold to pet families, but are destroyed.

Herding dogs should have natural instinct, natural ability with a desire to work any breed of livestock. Their intelligence is such that it makes them the easiest dog to handle and manage. They really don't have to be "trained" to herd livestock, because the instinct and desire is there (or should be). They only need to be managed in a way that they understand what the handler needs them to do and where to go.

They usually have several generations of their dogs. There are some that register, some do not. The one's that register their dogs usually know every dog in the lineage. Have personally met the owner or know someone that has or can at least tell stories that have been told to him about the owner and the dog's ability. The ones that do not register, still have several generations of their dog and know information about several generations.

The health of the herd-dog is very important. A sick dog or one that is not genetically correct (health wise) can not do his job. He will be unable to continue the long hours and hard work that is sometimes needed for a herd-dog.

Unfortunately, accidents do happen to dogs that work for a living. Broken limbs, jaws, ribs, hips are not uncommon. "Capped elbows" are common as are torn ligaments, cuts, bruises, and snake bites. Even fatalities do occur. It is always heartbreaking to have a dog get killed while working. The dog is more than just an employee, it is also a partner/companion. It is not uncommon for the larger ranches to have 50+ dogs. If the more experienced dogs are injured or killed, then they must have another dog ready to take it's place. The owners are always starting the training of a dog, fine tuning, or getting a dog to a point that he's ready to work on his own (with his handler). I'm reluctant to use the term, "finished-dog", because a dog is really never finished --- they learn something everyday.

[b]Bad breeders:[/b]
Like any bad breeder of any breed of dog. They do not care about the dog, only if the dog can generate funds.

They are handled roughly and most are ruined by the handlers harsh words and heavy hand.