Dogomania

Dane/Pit Bull mix or an Argentinian Mastiff? Please Help!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I adopted Mozart from a rescue program in Greenville, NC. I was told he was a Great Dane/Pit Bull mix and by looking at him you can see why. Until now, I have told everyone who asks about him that this is his breed. My girlfriend picked up a huge dog encylopedia yesterday and saw an Argentinian Mastiff. We are both convinced that either breed is also a possibility. He weighs about 80 lbs. and is about 26 inches from floor to head standing up, he has black spots all over his skin but not hair except for the one on his eye, ears and one spot on his neck. I think the following will take you to a better pic of im at village photo: [url]http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=137143[/url]
Any Help?

Guest Anonymous

I am obviously new to this site (BTW to those who are running it, you are doing a wonderful job) and I dont know the best way to get a pic of my dog on here as it would help with the previous question I posted.

Welcome.
Go to the pictures section then click on Sash's tutorial :lol:
Sash is our whiz kid, it tells you all you need to know in that topic.
If i can do it anyone can :wink:

Roo

Hi Mozart
If that is your dog beneath your name he definitely resemble a dogo argentina, if that's what you mean by argentine mastiff???
They are usually full white in colour but a black patch on an eye or ear is allowed apparently. They're great hunting dogs apparently.
My friend has 2 pitbull/dane cross dogs, have a look at the pic of them on my website, maybe you could get a better idea of your dog's breed??
Great looking dog by the way.

Guest Anonymous

I would actually hesistate to say the dog in that pic is a Dogo the large brown patch on the side of his head is what makes me say that, Dogos are generally white all over, where as the spot is typical of our Bully breeds i would be inclined to lean toward the mix description

From the pic you linked to in your post, he looks like he [i]could[/i] be a purebred pit bull. Although most are under 70 lbs, there are quite a few that are larger (people breeding only for size, etc). Since he's a rescue, you'll never really know for sure, but I'd say he's probably not a Dogo Argentino. He could [i]possibly[/i] be an American Bulldog mix, but seems a little too pit bull-ish :lol: He is really cute though :lol:

Guest Anonymous

Mozart, that's a different avatar than the one you put up before isn't it??
The pic I saw first was a black and white shot of a dog lying down? That's the one I thought looked dogo argetinian.

The shot you have up now though definitely looks like a pitbull or a pit mix. Is it a wide angle lens you are using? His head looks huge.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='MozartHaake']I adopted Mozart from a rescue program in Greenville, NC. I was told he was a Great Dane/Pit Bull mix and by looking at him you can see why. Until now, I have told everyone who asks about him that this is his breed. My girlfriend picked up a huge dog encylopedia yesterday and saw an Argentinian Mastiff. We are both convinced that either breed is also a possibility. He weighs about 80 lbs. and is about 26 inches from floor to head standing up, he has black spots all over his skin but not hair except for the one on his eye, ears and one spot on his neck. I think the following will take you to a better pic of im at village photo: [url]http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=137143[/url]
Any Help?[/quote]

given the size and weight you quoted he could be a hog dog type American bulldog but yet his head does look a bit pitish. mix maybe. there are a lot of performance AB breeders in NC breeding these dogs strictly for hog catching and mixing pit in for more gameness this could be on that did not hunt and ended up in rescue, or a pup baught and turned out to be a bit more than the owners were looking for. or a left over pup.

yes they will get rid of young pups befor they are old enuff to work hogs becouse they temperment test the dogs and only the game ones with high preydrive are kept. the others some go to pet homes.

you have to remember, a mix can often closely resemble another breed. *especially* to the untrained eye, for that breed. Also, since there is such a *wide* variaty in the types of APT possible, it would be *very* easy to find one with physical traits to that of a Dogo. If you *really* want to know, you need to locate a dog show and talk to some Dogo breeders and get them to look at the dog.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Poofy']you have to remember, a mix can often closely resemble another breed. *especially* to the untrained eye, for that breed. Also, since there is such a *wide* variaty in the types of APT possible, it would be *very* easy to find one with physical traits to that of a Dogo. If you *really* want to know, you need to locate a dog show and talk to some Dogo breeders and get them to look at the dog.[/quote]

You are right but even some judges could not tell they are trained in the standard of a breed and follow that. for a working breed or hog dog there are many body styles all the the preferance of the breeder.

I had an ab pup when grown everyone thatught she was a dogo, pure white black nose and she even conformed th the dogo standard except for the ear cut. but she was pure AB. she looked more like a dogo that an AB.
if aol ever gets of there lazy buts and fixes my ftp. I could upload some pics. They are having problems and I may find some other webspace to host my pics .

Donna

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Poofy']you have to remember, a mix can often closely resemble another breed. *especially* to the untrained eye, for that breed. Also, since there is such a *wide* variaty in the types of APT possible, it would be *very* easy to find one with physical traits to that of a Dogo. If you *really* want to know, you need to locate a dog show and talk to some Dogo breeders and get them to look at the dog.[/quote]

You are right but even some judges could not tell they are trained in the standard of a breed and follow that. for a working breed or hog dog there are many body styles all the the preferance of the breeder.

I had an ab pup when grown everyone thatught she was a dogo, pure white black nose and she even conformed th the dogo standard except for the ear cut. but she was pure AB. she looked more like a dogo that an AB.
if aol ever gets of there lazy buts and fixes my ftp. I could upload some pics. They are having problems and I may find some other webspace to host my pics .

Donna

He's a cutie, whatever he is. Reminds me a bit of my dog, mainly because of the patch on his eye. :)

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TwDiAnIZBSAyvAmTdeTPbD1!z7Ib8BEe8Ji7aOTxDcXJRhueKqN3EZd5mWnZyykIjubXBDvk!phqmY59sxda7lQ3P85MCujducj1WoUQGkSzaQIpvZEWFA/bkwoodpile.jpg?dc=4675396837049892087[/img]

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TAAAAJ4XSpeKgreBZoqdNrbHxY7HxCepHEcT3pU4NgPrAl61*6NZChzriZjKOOQQEJzOw3xoTn3unG9mG7Ei4W7wEKMpNubkgcYF6hRXzvLCDvSRyJaEoA/bkfeb02.jpg?dc=4675396836911450975[/img]