Dogomania

Test Breedings

Poofy

I will explain the value of test breedings but please, lets refrain from a debate.

First, test breedings have their greatest value when dealing with an autosomal recessive diseases that is evident early on. Test breedings, do not have much value when dealing with an autosomal dominant, trait, as the animal would be expressing the disease, and you would know who was a "carrier" for it. The only time when dealing with a dominant trait, that a test breeding, would have its value, is when you are dealing with a pleitropic trait.
Test breeding can help a breeder, determine carriers, of any autosomal recessive trait. Because of the way, a recessive gene can be passed down, unnoticed, an entire gene pool, or breeding program, can be contaminated and on the brink of devastation, before the breeders even realizes there is a problem. Test breeding can also determine, how something is inherited. Is it a polygenic disease? Is it autosomal? Is it sex linked? Is it dominant or recessive? Is it linked, chromosomally with another trait? Or are they inherited separately? Without this information, any breeding program could be lost. The only way to achieve that information is through test breeding. And the only way to establish, non carriers, of recessives and sex linked diseases, is through test breedings. Those established non-carriers could then be used as the basis, for a clear stock, breeding program. There are many

[b][color=red]Was this taken from:[/color][/b]

[i][b]Control of Canine Genetic Diseases [/b][/i]
George A. Padgett; 1998; Hardcover; 264 pages; $19.57
The issue of genetic diseases in dogs is a matter of major concern for every dog breeder, every companion dog owner and every serious dog enthusiast at the present time. How to understand the mechanics of inheritance, how to deal with percentages, predictability of outcome and how to breed away from such scourges as canine hip dysplasia, progressive retinal atrophy and other debilitating conditions are all covered in this important new book by one of the scientific community's most respected authorities on the subject. The superlative text is augmented with charts, graphs, tables and all the data needed to help the dog breeder take a positive role in enhancing the genetic health of his or her own dogs and the health of entire breed populations. Many practical issues are included such as ethical dealings with buyers of puppies showing late onset conditions, test mating and much more. Destined to become the classic on this truly vital subject

[b]WoW [/b]
Big intricate words and complicated facts [b]I am impressed [/b]but I think a lot more genuine dog people would be more interested if it had been put in simple laymans words and not text book terms. Are you trying to baffle us with science or truly trying educate the masses?
I have been in dogs longer than I care to mention breeding,showing & judging and have learnt more from experienced breeders (who talked in plain english about the subjects above).than I just have from this article.
This is meant as constructive criticism only
Ickle

Being able to copy and paste is NOT the same as understanding the concept of genetics.

Test-matings should not be done by amateur breeders as herself. It is done for research to be able to breed out the undesirable trait --- ENHANCEMENT of the breed. Test matings done by someone who has multiple breeds and are breeding multiple litters --- is NOT for research, it's for PROFIT.

Excuse me but I do not need plagiarize. This was not cut and pasted from any article. I DID write it in word before I posted it so that I could spell check it. You asked me and I told you. You people make no sense. You question what I say, then when I explain it, you tell me I didn't write it. What a joke.

The ONLY thing that was not in my words, was the QUOTE, from Padgett's book which I gave credit too.

Where I got it from? The top part of the reply is written by me, I "got" it from the dozen plus different genetic books I have read over the years, the knowlege I have gained as a breeder, and from my professors. The bottom part I SITED where I got it from.

It was a question poof....just a question. I am secure in my knowledge of genetics.

Again, I stand by -- test mating should be done by someone that is well versed in genetics for RESEARCH reasons in an effort to isolate a defect and illiminate it from the bloodline and [b]not[/b] done by someone who is breeding multiple breeds and producing multiple litters for profit.

Guest Anonymous

Does everything have to be taken so literal... :roll:

[quote]Where I got it from? The top part of the reply is written by me, I "got"[color=blue]<--Nice touch! Could you not have just said...
I wrote it from the knowledge I have gained through reading a dozen plus different genetic books in my life. Also it comes from the experience I gained as a breeder and through the shared knowledge of my professers. The bottom part I gave a bibliography for. [/color]
it from the dozen plus different genetic books I have read over the years, the knowlege I have gained as a breeder, and from my professors. The bottom part I SITED[color=red]CITED[/color] where I got it from.[/quote]

I was not questioning you... Just clarifying something..

Jacsmom, you are fiesty tonight!

I must practice better English. From where was the information obtained? Please advise the source of your information. I can only assume the information that the person posted, was from memory.

This post is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely
transferable with no alteration to the original post. It implies no
promise by the poster to actually implement any of the wishes for
her/himself or others, and is void where prohibited by law, and is
revocable at the sole discretion of the poster.

Guest Anonymous

I never accused you of anything so back away from the computer and take a breath...
Sited and Cited were in two different colors...

P.S. Never said I didn't make typos... Don't claim to be perfect, know all of dogs, know all of genetics, know all of anything, I copy and paste alot, it is me... I find it easier for me.. I am still learning and will learn things until the day I die... Everyone should that is why you continue to ask question and debate.. It is healthy (believe it or not). Never close off to knowledge because then you become dumb..(by the way I am not calling you dumb.. It is a generalization)

[quote name='Jacsmom']

P.S. Never said I didn't make typos... Don't claim to be perfect, know all of dogs, know all of genetics, know all of anything, I copy and paste alot, it is me... I find it easier for me.. I am still learning and will learn things until the day I die... Everyone should that is why you continue to ask question and debate.. It is healthy (believe it or not). Never close off to knowledge because then you become dumb..(by the way I am not calling you dumb.. It is a generalization)[/quote]

Thanks for renewing my faith.I thought I was the only one who didn't know everything.I may be dumb but in certain areas I may not be.I have done auto repair all my life.My uncle is a computer whiz but cant work on his car.Nobody knows everything.People can only specialize in certain areas.
If you only use 25% of your mind you have to replace old information to learn new information.Wouldn't it be great if everyone could use 100% of thier mind and never forget!!!!!

Guest Anonymous

:o Never go pee in the middle of a topic!! Bad Hobbit!!

No I just wanted everyone to breathe before posting.. I post one word and it it is taken wrong. I can handle big words it is just all of the picking and pulling of a post. Take it for what it is do not rip it apart, dissect it, and munipulate it.. I am blunt and to the point.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with not understanding something...we are not born knowing. But you have to look at it at my perspective, I said I didn't want to discuss this topic...then I sort of get challanged into making a point...I made my point and then I am basically told that all I did was cut and paste it from another article some where or took it from a book. I don't appreciate that. Surely you can understand why it ticked me off. I use these forums for information and education, I know some people are just on these things to stir the pot, but to be treated like a liar, when I oblige someone on a challenge, its not fair. Some one on here made the comment, something to the fact, that these topics didn't used to get so long until I and TLC came along...I know with me, its because I just don't smile and say "I agree". If I have a different opinion I will state it. I don't expect others to agree with me...but I do expect some (just a tad) of understanding...and not to be challanged on everything because I don't conform to your click. Diveristy is important...perhaps more people on this board would speak their opinion if they didn't think they would get flamed or crusified.
I think all of these topics, would be a HECK of alot more interesting and we could learn a lot more, if more then just the same people posted over and over, agreeing with each other all the time...I am not saying, lets argue...but lets lay out our ideas and talk about them and not be afraid of being marked for doing it....

Poofy we don't all agree with each other. If you do not find the board interesting, then it is your choice to either stay or go somewhere else.

Several asked for YOUR explaination on genetics and YOU are one that got defensive.

If a person is knowledgable about a subject they normally do not mind questions and posting answers. Apparently, you do mind --- and that's okay.

Now, if you have any scenario's as to the test matings that you know about, it would be educational to read some. Especially the conclusion(s) of the test. This may help someone that is reading the forum, but afraid to post, from making the same mistake.