Dogomania

An Obviuos Dislike for Cats.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey Everyone!
Man, do I have a dilemma! I'm a Dog Lover and my wife is a cat lover! Yek! This may sound light and trivial BUT,...... when it comes to getting a house in the future you know they'll be a big dog in it!! :D
My wife LOVES cats and I can't stand them and their hair is all over the place in clumps...worse than dogs I think. I must admit I tell her everytime we bring it up that it'll be a cold day in hell when I have a Cat in my house! :x ,......walking all over the countertops and tables...thats disgraceful!!!! She jokes and says," No Cats....No Dogs then." :agrue:
Sometimes I think there may be a solution to the constant Piss smell that the Cats emit throughout the house, or maybe a Cat breed that is almost hairless ? They go after birds and Chipmunks and when you call them they look at you like,"To hell with you pal...I'm too busy!"
I even tried to tell her we can get 2 DOGS...1 that she likes and 1 for me, but she loves and misses her Cat!
My question to all of you is do you know of a way to train or a breed of Cat that is almost hairless? I know this is a Dog site but I'm sure some of you have Cats too???? I really can't stand Cats and believe me I'm still trying to persuade her into 2 dogs.
How can I find a solution to this problem??? There must be some way to find a perfect Cat....AND if we decide to; what dog would CO-EXIST with a Cat?????? Certain breeds will tear the house up! :(

Guest Anonymous

There are hairless breeds out there for cats.

Also, my DOGS shed worse than my cat ever did! :roll:

Shibas (yes, I'm tooting my own breed) are a very cat-like breed which could be a compromise, but they ARE DOGS.

As far as cats on the counters, when I had a cat, I found a solution to the climbing. Take a piece of cardboard and place double stick tape on it. Place the cardboard (tape side UP) on the places you do not want the cat on. Once the cat jumps on the counter and gets on the tape, it'll be the last time they jump up there!

For the cat pee smell, I just scooped and scooped and scooped. My cat was VERY litter trained. The only time he had an accident was when I was in the process of cleaning the box so he poo'ed on the plastic I had under the box.

If your wife wants the cat, then maybe make it HER responsibility to take care of the litter box (daily) just as you will take care of the dog poo in the back yard! Just a suggestion.

Guest Anonymous

[url]http://www.cats-central.com/cat-breeds/sphynx.htm[/url]

[img]http://www.cats-central.com/cat-breeds/images/myrosebud/myrosebud2.jpg[/img]

Guest Anonymous

I dont like cats, they are too qiet and sneaky. They have theat really fine hair that sticks to your hands and face and then my eyes get all red and watery. I do know a few cats that are okay, but overall I would NEVER own one. But then again I felt the same way about kids....

Well, I don't blame your wife for the "No cat = No Dog", train of thought. Afterall, it is her house TOO. Yes, there is a breed of cat that is basically hairless. Have you thought of the fact that most dogs shed 1000 times worse than any cat?
That said, you CAN train cats to stay off of the table, counters ect... My cat doesn't get on the counters. Also, if you were to have trouble keeping it off of things, have a designated "cat room" where you can lock the cat when you are not home. Cats aren't nearly as stupid as some folks think. Of they KNOW they aren't supposed to get on the counter, they will only do it when you aren't there. If he/she is locked up when no one is home, that will stop the counter crawling.
MOST breeds of dogs can live in the same household peacefully with a cat if they are raised together. The best way to do this IMO, is to have an older cat (meaning NOT a small kitten) when you get a puppy. Good Luck.

Guest Anonymous

Now picture that cat that gigishiba posted on top of your chest and you waking up in the morning looking at each other!!! :lol: I might actually like the hairless ones! If I had a choice I think it's either that or a Siamese,...other than that the other ones are a No No.
Mei-Mei got a pretty cool idea as well. I've cradled a Black Female bunny before and she was timid and did not nip or bite at all, that was cool she was very well behaved.....man..I can make a million jokes out of what I just said but I'll leave it be... :lol: :P . I still prefer a dog though. :wink:
If we eventually do get one I'll make sure the first thing that I do is do the tape to the cardboard on the countertops etc!!!! I skeeve that!! It's disgusting and healthwise it's even worse! Good idea though.
I just dislike Cats and no matter what she says I can't force myself to like them at all, there stealthy. Thanks for all the advice !!!!!

Guest Anonymous

Black GSD- Thanks for the advice, will keep it in mind if I can't change my wife's mind. I'm trying the ole' "Ralph Kramden" Honeymooners way but as you all know it's futile! :lol: Just kiddin', maybe she'll come around, if not then what can I do? I love dogs and have always grown up with them,...gotta have one! Who know's? I'll let you all know what happens. :wink:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='cepter']Black GSD- Thanks for the advice, will keep it in mind if I can't change my wife's mind. I'm trying the ole' "Ralph Kramden" Honeymooners way but as you all know it's futile! :lol: Just kiddin', maybe she'll come around, if not then what can I do? I love dogs and have always grown up with them,...gotta have one! Who know's? I'll let you all know what happens. :wink:[/quote]

Yes, please do keep us updated!

Guest Anonymous

I had never been a cat person myself. Yet found myself adopting this incredibly beautiful LH flamepoint Siamese. He is fantastic! Totally thinks he is a dog or at least a Springer. He follows us around, comes when he is called, and plays ball with the dogs. Neither of my girls were raised with cats and yet integrated him perfectly into their lives when asked. He sleeps on top of em and drinks side by side with them out of their water bowls (won't touch his own :roll: ). He sheds far less than my girls, doesn't chase anything because he never sets foot outside, and was trained to stay off out countertops and such with a squirtgun. Scooping out his litterbox is far easier and less time consuming than cleaning the doggy poo out of the yard. I now firmly believe that cats (at least mine :D ) can be a fun addition to any household.....although I am never gonna be a freak about em the way I am about dogs. I think your wife's train of thought is totally fair....it is not right for you to have a dog and her not have a cat :o .....especially since you can each have what you want and everyone be happy. Cats really aren't as bad as you think.

Later,
Trinity

There is hope. I am a dog person. Hubby has never owned a dog, and has always had cats. I'm not that fond of cats either mainly because of the litterbox and the walking on the counter top issue. (Says me, the owner of the poop eating dog.) We almost didn't get married because I wanted a dog, and he insisted that he "would NEVER EVER EVER have a dog." Hoo boy was I mad. I told him then no cats - two can play this game. :lol:
He forgot that I always get what I want. :wink:

[img]http://mywebpages.comcast.net/blancm3/images/tday.jpg[/img]

(Oh yeah, and we still don't have a cat. :lol: )

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Kiger'][quote name='gigishiba']
We also had Chinchillas. They were fun![/quote]

I have chinchillas too. Now, if you also own a Kiger Mustang I will really be weirded out. :o[/quote]

Um, no. Not in our 120' x 60' yard! :lol:

How is Kato with the chins? We had to find ours new homes cuz our male started to attack us once we brought in a female. :(

Guest Anonymous

Well, Cozmo was great till we brought Zoie in for a playmate. Then Coz started attacking me. He'd hide under the couch and wait for me to walk by. Then he'd attack my feet. BITE HARD. He'd draw blood. Vet said it was cuz I was a threat to Zoie. So, we had to find them both new homes. Zoie was new and I couldn't have her with out Coz, he was our baby, yet I couldn't trust him anymore. I was scared to death of him.

Our dogs would try to kill them.

We have siamese cats. They can differnetiate - they will walk on the desk, entertainment unit, crate, dishwasher but not the table, counter or stove. They walk on a leash, come when called and we had one that would sit on command. If properly litterbox trained and with daily litterbox scooping there should be no litterbox smell. I've have known cats who were trained to use the toilet instead of the littterbox - they usually can't flush though. If they are brushed 2x a week you are far less likely to get that fine hair stuck to everything.

[b][size=6][/size]TRAINING A CAT IS NOT LIKE TRAINING A DOG[size=3][/size][/b]
If you have any questions on how to do some of the above training with a cat let me know and I'll let you know what worked for me, also try a cat site they may have even more info than us.

Now on to breeds. If you want a doglike cat try a siamese or a maine coon cat (sp?). If you want a hairless the only breed I know of is a rex but I have no idea what the temperment is. A word of caution on dog/cat play - a rex has no protective fur and can become injured/torn by "playing" with a dog, a siamese will be ok with some dogs, a maine coon cat (sp?) will likely be fine with a dog, they are large and bold.

If you're worried about a cat shedding, then forget about a bunny. Geez, every bunny I've had doesn't shed; they SPRAY hair, I swear. Also, about ferrets, if you don't like the way a cat box smells, forget ferrets unless you're planning on bathing them very frequently and scooping out the crap box twice a day. Ferrets poop and pee a LOT and it is holy moly strong. Plus they tend to have problems with ummm body odor unless washed frequently. Fortunately, every ferret I've had has loved to play in bath water, but that isn't the point...

I'm not much of a cat person, either, yet I have 5 of the buggers. They are actually pretty cool. No one roams the counters or tabletops (I refuse to have something that scratches around in a crap box climbing my counters). They are much more easily trained than a lot of people expect. We do have a cat room that we put linoleum in (cats vomit a LOT unless you give them kitty laxatives). We can shut them in there when we don't allow them to roam at large (which is when we aren't home because I don't trust them off the counters THAT much). When the door is open and they are allowed to roam the house, there is a child safety gate blocking the entrance. The cats can jump over it to get in and out, but the dogs can't get in (which keeps them from snacking on Homemade Kitty Gritty

Guest Anonymous

[quote]I refuse to have something that scratches around in a crap box climbing my counters[/quote]

HEHEH :lol: :lol:

I love the pics Horsefeathers! Especially the one with the grey frog dog:D

Trinity

Guest Anonymous

Kiger,
My wife fell in love with the picture of your husband by the fireplace with the little "Fox-like" dog. WHAT TYPE OF DOG IS THAT?????????????????????????
Much thanks,
CEPTER.