Dogomania

mean neighbour hates dogs....

adrienne

I live in a building where dogs are allowed.. and although I have 2, there are about 15 more. I live next door to a mean old lady who's a little senile (I think) and always wants to start trouble for my roomate and me. We are responsible, and always pick up after our puppies. However, I'd say that 30% of our neighbours never do. These messes are twice the size of my 2 mt. old shih-tsu and way too big for my 4 mt. old jack eskimo. Yet, whenever this mean lady sees me outside with or without my dogs, she yells at me about the other dogs' messes. She never listens to me when I explain that it couldn't be mine ('cause of the size, and I simply wouldn't do that) and she's even complained about me to the super. She's got nothing to base this on, maybe she thinks that I'm the only one with dogs here, or maybe she just doesn't like me. I'll be outside, and Molly or Billy will be peeing not even pooing, and she'll yell to me from her window "You better pick that up or it's a $50 fine!". I'm past the point of trying to reason with her. What should I do? I've tried to pick up some of the other messes (even though it's not my responsibility), and I'd like to hand out bags to every dog owner as a hint, but how could I do so without insulting them or implying that I think it's them. Please help, any suggestions would be appreciated., Thanks, and happy new year. :cry:

I assume first of all that you do pick up after your dogs.

Did you explain the situation to your super? That should be your first step, just to protect yourself seeing as she has already made a complaint. Go talk to him/her and explain the situation.

Try writing her a letter and slipping it under her door. There's a small chance she'll actually read it and understand. Doubtful, but you never know.

If she keeps it up, make a complaint against her. You do, after all, have the right to go outside without being harassed by your neighbor. Keep making complaints until the super goes and talks to her.

Finally, if all else fails, maybe she would leave you alone if she thought you were a little crazy. As a last resort, maybe turning around and telling her to "shut the F##% up" would get you peace.

Seriously, I too get accused of all the messes around even though I am the only one who picks up after the dogs. Be sure you pick up EVERY SINGLE time.

I would try a different approach. maybe ask the lady to walk with you. Or invite her to join you in a campaign to get all the dog owners to clean up after their pets. There is more than one way to....uh....skin a cat! :wink:

I think talking to the super yourself is the best plan. Explain that you are vigilant about picking up after your pups and ask him/her what can be done to ENCOURAGE all the other residents to do the same. Tell him/her about the neighbor who is under the impression that you are leaving poop around and that you would like to improve relations with that person but that you need help. Be nice and calm, supers would rather deal with someone reasonable and responsible than just one who complains. Perhaps offer to assist in spreading the word to the dog owners who are too danged lazy to do their duty (so to speak) and pick up after their dogs. Offer to draft a 'gentle reminder' type letter that can be distributed to ALL pet owners in the building. In the letter, detail that it is not just a pet owners responsibility but that if the problem continues the owner may have to rethink the policy of allowing dogs. Remind them that living in a building that allows dogs is a priviledge, not a right. If children play near the area where the dogs relieve themselves, ask if they would like THEIR children to be exposed to dog excretement.
Best of luck and thanks for being responsible!

Me too alicat....there is this man who drives around the block and stops periodically to tell me to pick up :lol: I don't even walk down his street, I circle around the other 3 sides....and I clearly pick up as I usually have a baggie in my hand :oops: plus the little thingie is hooked on my leash that holds the bags....I sure don't see anyone ELSE with that! Others have stepped out and yelled at me AS I WAS PICKING UP....about not picking up :roll: ....I have decided that next time I'lll just dump it into their yard!

This worked at least some in a building my mother lived in.
Some of the tenents requested the super put in a stand and a garbage can near to where most people start their dog walks. The stand is a dispenser and holds those small clear poopie bags. The supper put the equipment in and one dog owner requests donations from all dog owners in the building to keep the dispenser full.

When I take the pack to the park I stuff my pocket full of plastic bags. I usually have 1 or 2 extra and will boldly walk over to someone and offer them a bag if their dog poops and the person does not head over to scoop it up. I TRY to be nice about it and just say if we want to continue to have the priviledge of our dogs running loose, we MUST pick up after them. I really stunned one guy who was like, Me? Pick up my dogs crap? You gotta be kidding! A few of the other regulars helped me in glaring at him and he stomped off. Made a big show of looking for it in the grass but just couldn't seem to find it. Too darned bad he didn't slip and fall down in it.

I've talked to the super and he says that she's just really old and complains about everything and he says that he believes me that the messes aren't mine.. About the lady, I've always been so polite with her and I tried to let her know that I think it's disgusting that other people are leaving the mess and just reminded her that there are a lot of other dogs in the buidling. Then she started to get really angry and said (while pointing in my face) "an apartment building is no place for a dog. You should really not have brought those poor creatures in this place!". I then tried to explain as rationally and calm as I could that it would be the case if we didn't exercise them, but we do take care of them and take them out or hire someone to... and they aren't big dogs! She didn't want to hear anything I said, just made some comment that I take them out too much! I don't understand. I'm quiet, I'm polite to everyone, especially her. Maybe she just doesn't like me. It's really frustrating. Now the 2 times I saw her today, in addition to her letting me know to pick up their mess (even when she can see the bag in my hand!), ahe also says in her mean grumpy voice: "You're taking those dogs out again! How many do you have? Jeez!" Anyhow, about the other suggestions, I think it's a great idea to invest in a trash can and put up a note and some bags. My roomate does too, and we'll get started on that soon... I hope it works..... Maybe then she'll leave me alone....

You got your work cut out for you with her!
Only other thing I can think of is when you see her, call out in a singsong voice, "Good Morning/afternoon/evening Mrs *****, you look lovely today!" Totally ignore her rantings, paste a big ole smile on your face. Then, 'Have a wonderful day Mrs. *****!' and keep on going!
Repeat daily. Maybe you can train her like we train dogs, patience, persistance and praise. :lol:

Oh yes, I'm glad the super knows about the situation and is aware that you are a responsible dog owner.

Oh yea again, I wondered if telling the lady that since you cannot be in a house with a yard right now, you're only option would be to take your sweet dog to the pound, she wouldn't want that would she? Then again, maybe she would.

Guest Anonymous

I agree Sasha. Someone who is bitter or hateful truly expects the same kind of response in return. They more or less thrive on it. Smile say something nice. Pick up the dog and both of you wave. It is amazing how kindness effects rude people, they either stop or rant. Eventually they find it is useless to continue! :wink:

It sounds to me like this old woman is incredibly lonely and seeking any attention she can get. I know this seems odd but how about baking (or buying) some cookies or pie or something and taking it to her. I agree with Sasha on the Kill them with kindness bit.
But she does sound like she is lonely and has no one to talk to and it is making her bitter. Sometimes when you're lonely it's hard to see people around you happy. I'm sure you look pretty happy when you're with your dogs. I personally would make an attempt with a peace offering. I also agree with the flier, tell everyone that they better get off of their a**es and help out or everyone will pay for it.

Guest Anonymous

The cookies/pie thing sounds good, if she'll accept them.

Maybe ask her if she'd like to pet your pups?

Maybe send her a Just Thinking Of You card.

Invite her over for dinner?

If she says NO, then keep at it and send over those invites.