Dogomania

Worms

Daisysmom

Hi and Happy New Year everyone!!
We got a new puppy the other day from the Sommerset County Humane Society and she is really sweet. (She has a couple brothers and sisters if anyone is looking...) Any way, she has worms and I was wondering if there was a natural, home remedy I could give her to kill or slow down the worms until she sees her vet Thursday night. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Her name is Chelsea and she is a cute black lab mix.

The over-the-counter remedies do not work for all kinds of worms. Also it's good to get the puppy checked out at the vet.

There are some things that are good. Garlic is great, add a little fresh garlic to each meal. Also add 1 tablespoon raw grated carrot or beet to each meal. You can give wheat or oat bran as well. These things are all irritating to the worms.

A short fast (not a full day for a puppy) on liquids (chicken broth, water) will kill some worms. They get food from the pup, and if the pup has no food...neither do they.

Other remedies like wormseed or pumpkin seeds or diatomaceous earth are more lengthy and involved and won't help for just a few days before you go get wormed.

[quote name='alicat613']The over-the-counter remedies do not work for all kinds of worms. Also it's good to get the puppy checked out at the vet.

[color=red][b]OTC dewormers; Pyrantel Pamoate is the same chemical that you can obtain from a vet. It will kill round and hook worms. [/b][/color]

A short fast (not a full day for a puppy) on liquids (chicken broth, water) will kill some worms. They get food from the pup, and if the pup has no food...neither do they.

[b][color=darkred]I have never heard of this. Please tell me which species of worms this will kill. If this is true, then Coyotes and Wolves would be worm free. Not being sarcastic, but since this is a public forum...I would hate for someone to read this and then instead of deworming their dogs/puppies, they just withheld their food. Worms are parasites, most live off blood (not food the animal eats). [/color][/b]

[/quote]

[color=red]Personally, I would rather see someone go to Wal-mart (the evil place) and purchase "Old Lassie" dewormer (which is Pyrantel Pamoate), before they withheld food, waited any length of time, or didn't deworm at all. An infestation of Hook worms can be fatal to the puppy.[/color]

Guest Anonymous

Daisy kids do alot of hand to mouth, hand to this, hand to that contact after letting that cute puppy lick on their hands, face and etc. Remind them to wash their hands or at least keep them clear of their mouth. But kids will be kids! :lol:

[quote name='K']Cheers Hobbit...some how I missed the replies to this Firstly the OTC De-Wormer I have is against hook,round, and thread worms it is for all ages including pups and pregnant females and it contains niclosamide monohydrate and pyrantel pamoate and it is meant to be used every 3-4 months

Secondly as thread worms can and do infect children I also give everbody in the house a human worming tablet too

Thirdly the vet will be alot happeir with you if you have showed at least some initiative and tried to de-worm your pup instead of leaving it to suffer tummy ache![/quote]

What is the brand name (if you don't mind me asking) that you use for your dogs and humans? I assume that you are d'worming the humans with Pyrantel?

Growing up, the livestock would be penned and ran the thru chute for a good deworming; then us kids would be given a dose. That was some nasty tasting stuff!

We've been alternating between Pyrantel Pamoate and Fenbendazole for the dogs. Even though they are on a monthly heartworm preventative that also deworms for rounds and hooks; sometimes we'll deworm 2 wks after their HW pill.

I don't like using *Droncit (for tapeworms) because it contains Toulene (which is a cancer causing agent).

[quote name='Hobbit'][quote name='alicat613']The over-the-counter remedies do not work for all kinds of worms. Also it's good to get the puppy checked out at the vet.

[color=red][b]OTC dewormers; Pyrantel Pamoate is the same chemical that you can obtain from a vet. It will kill round and hook worms. [/b][/color]

[b][color=darkred]I have never heard of this. Please tell me which species of worms this will kill. If this is true, then Coyotes and Wolves would be worm free. Not being sarcastic, but since this is a public forum...I would hate for someone to read this and then instead of deworming their dogs/puppies, they just withheld their food. Worms are parasites, most live off blood (not food the animal eats). [/color][/b]

[/quote]

[color=red]Personally, I would rather see someone go to Wal-mart (the evil place) and purchase "Old Lassie" dewormer (which is Pyrantel Pamoate), before they withheld food, waited any length of time, or didn't deworm at all. An infestation of Hook worms can be fatal to the puppy.[/color][/quote]

WOW. You people need to learn to read, as in each word, rather than skipping half and seeing what you want. If you had read what I said thoroughly there would be no need for all this tacky red font.

As I said, "The over-the-counter remedies do not work for all kinds of worms." The do not kill tapeworms.

"Also it's good to get the puppy checked out at the vet."

I don't feel that novice owners should try to treat all their own problems with OTC. Going to the vet is good.

Your statement about wild canines is ridiculous. I never said a short fast kills all worms. Again, if you had read correctly - "A short fast (not a full day for a puppy) on liquids (chicken broth, water) will kill [b]some[/b] worms. They get food from the pup, and if the pup has no food...neither do they.

Again, no danger of people simply withholding food, for if again, you had read correctly, you'd note I said short (not a full day) and that it will kill SOME worms.

I do not believe in simply loading a dog with chemicals. I personally choose herbal remedies which have far less toxic effects and work just as well.

The advice I gave are supplemental things you can do to help a wormer be most effective as many times a pup must be wormed twice to get all the worms. These SAFE and effective methods can help reduce and weeaken the worms to make whatever method you use more effective at eliminating them completely.

Well, I went to K-Mart, almost as bad as Walmart and they only had a de-wormer that killed round worm. So, I go to the vet with our little girl tonight and will pay the big bucks for the vet's meds. Oh well.... It's not the first time.

Any way, how do you send picture links? Can I include pictures along with my messages, or do I go to the picture forum section? Just wondering. You all have to see her. She is such a cutie!!!!

Thanks for all the worm info.

It should not be expensive. With fecal exam, vet exam, and two Dane size doses of Strongid, when Parker went to be wormed as a pup is came to $40 I think? Maybe $60?

Get your money's worth - before you go, make sure you write down any questions at all you have had about his health, anything you are concerned about etc.

[quote name='alicat613'][quote name='Hobbit'][quote name='alicat613']The over-the-counter remedies do not work for all kinds of worms. Also it's good to get the puppy checked out at the vet.

[/quote]

[color=red]Personally, I would rather see someone go to Wal-mart (the evil place) and purchase "Old Lassie" dewormer (which is Pyrantel Pamoate), before they withheld food, waited any length of time, or didn't deworm at all. An infestation of Hook worms can be fatal to the puppy.[/color][/quote]

WOW. You people need to learn to read, as in each word, rather than skipping half and seeing what you want. If you had read what I said thoroughly there would be no need for all this tacky red font.

[color=blue]I don't know what is with you, or if this is just YOUR tone, but I was not being sarcastic (but if I need to be, I surely can and WILL). The red font is so you can easily see it within the quote --- so there is NO NEED for YOUR crappy comment. Is blue okay?? I DID read EVERY word and am still waiting for your answer.[/color]

As I said, "The over-the-counter remedies do not work for all kinds of worms." The do not kill tapeworms. [color=darkblue]You did not specify which parasites (worm) you were referring too. If someone were to read the label then, they would be aware that tapeworms were not included in the purge. [/color]

"Also it's good to get the puppy checked out at the vet." [color=blue]There was absolutely NO dispute on this, this is agreed.[/color]

I don't feel that novice owners should try to treat all their own problems with OTC. Going to the vet is good. [color=darkblue]Some people can not afford a vet visit everytime the pup has worms. It is better to treat hookworms and round worms than to let it go until finances are available. It's not rocket science, a novice can deworm their puppy....if they can read a label. [/color]

Your statement about wild canines is ridiculous. [color=blue]Please feel free to elaborate on this, if you can. [/color]

I never said a short fast kills all worms. [color=darkblue]You never answered my question of which worms it DOES kill?[/color]

Again, if you had read correctly - "A short fast (not a full day for a puppy) on liquids (chicken broth, water) will kill [b]some[/b] worms. They get food from the pup, and if the pup has no food...neither do they. [color=blue]I DID read it correctly and EVERY word....now WHICH worms will it kill?[/color]

Again, no danger of people simply withholding food, for if again, you had read correctly, you'd note I said short (not a full day) and that it will kill SOME worms. [color=darkblue]AGAIN, WHICH WORMS? The more I read, the more this is beginning to look as though you are questioning mine and many others intelligence....gee, I really hope you are NOT doing this. [/color]

I do not believe in simply loading a dog with chemicals. I personally choose herbal remedies which have far less toxic effects and work just as well. [color=blue]That is wonderful. And thank you for the information. [/color]

The advice I gave are supplemental things you can do to help a wormer be most effective as many times a pup must be wormed twice to get all the worms. These SAFE and effective methods can help reduce and weeaken the worms to make whatever method you use more effective at eliminating them completely. [color=darkblue]If a person does NOT eliminate the parasites, the weakened ones will become resistant at whatever you are using (natural or otherwise). This is why it is important to rotate the dewormers. [/color][/quote]

[quote name='K']Hobbit the Brand name of the dog wormer is Mansonil Plus as for the human one I just use a stores own as it is really cheap :oops: only about E0.30 per person and it covers all worms known to infect humans...just being on the safe side ya know :wink: it is time to do it again soon and I'll tell you the active ingredients when I get a new box...O.K.?[/quote]

[color=red]Okay by me......thanks. [/color]

FYI: I had Chelsea to the vet tonight, and no one else in the family, on two or four legs had to be de-wormed!! The worms can only be spread by fecal contact. If you had a toddler in the yard and came in contact with the waste, then there might be trouble. So, we are all okay, and Chelsea's worms should be gone by tomorrow!! :)

P.S. Sorry.... I didn't mean to "open a can of worms" :lol: :lol:

I suppose that someone was me?

I was simply trying to answer the question: "I was wondering if there was a natural, home remedy I could give her to kill or slow down the worms until she sees her vet Thursday night."

The answers I gave were and are tried and true natural methods of diminishing the worm population in the animal and can help the chemical wormers do the trick.

If you do not believe me, check out some books on homeopathic remedies for dogs.

Hobbit, I'm glad the red was not meant as I took it. The blue is fine too, although I think I'd like purple best. :D

I simply think you are misunderstanding my post.

My comment about OTC wormers not killing all types of worms was to inform this person so if they did choose that method to make sure she knew what kind of worms she had and got the right wormer. There are no OTC wormers yet that I know of except through the Jeffers Pet company (catalogue) that are effective with tapeworms.

As for fasting, I think you are reading it that a short fast will kill some species of worms, that is not what I meant. A short fast on a healthy animal who is not being overwhelmed by worms can weaken some of the worms (of any species) that are in the animal and can help remove some of them.

Coupled with the other methods I listed, garlic, the addition of grated vegetables and pumkin seeds, after a short fast, and adding these things in to the animals food before and after the fast, these ingredients irritate the worms further and help eliminate some more of the worms.

This helps the wormer at the vet be more effective.

I personally would never recommend an OTC remedy from Walmart (or any such type store). I have had terrible experiences with OTC chemicals, which while rare, do happen. The loss of my kitty and the health issues that lasted months in my (human) family and other cat will never again be worth the risks of using such harsh chemicals in my home. I know many people have great results with some of these treatments, but they do carry risks.

And if someone can't afford to go to the vet for a worming, there are low cost clinics all over, including in Petsmart themselves. I can't tell you how expensive that little bottle of Hartz flea control was, both financially and emotionally.

That's great! I'm not talking about stuff like that when I say OTC remedies. If you can find what the vet uses and you know it works and has been okay with your dogs, then what a find! I just have concern over picking an OTC remedy without knowing a lot about the specific chemicals in it.

[quote name='alicat613']I suppose that someone was me? [color=indigo]

...um... yes. [/color]

I was simply trying to answer the question: "I was wondering if there was a natural, home remedy I could give her to kill or slow down the worms until she sees her vet Thursday night."

The answers I gave were and are tried and true natural methods of diminishing the worm population in the animal and can help the chemical wormers do the trick.

If you do not believe me, check out some books on homeopathic remedies for dogs.

[b][color=violet]This was not then or is now being disputed.[/color][/b]

Hobbit, I'm glad the red was not meant as I took it. The blue is fine too, although I think I'd like purple best. :D

[color=indigo]Violet and indigo is as close as I can get.[/color]

I simply think you are misunderstanding my post.

My comment about OTC wormers not killing all types of worms was to inform this person so if they did choose that method to make sure she knew what kind of worms she had and got the right wormer. There are no OTC wormers yet that I know of except through the Jeffers Pet company (catalogue) that are effective with tapeworms.

[b][color=violet]There are normally 4 species of parasites that infect the dog: Hook, round, whip and tape worms. Tapeworms are not likely to kill a puppy. Round and hook worms can and do, if the infestation is severe enough. Whip worms can cause anemia and can lead to death. Tapeworms can wait, hooks and rounds can not (should not). [/color][/b]

As for fasting, I think you are reading it that a short fast will kill some species of worms, that is not what I meant. A short fast on a healthy animal who is not being overwhelmed by worms can weaken some of the worms (of any species) that are in the animal and can help remove some of them.

[color=indigo]Hook worms & whip worms are blood suckers --- a fast will not weaken this parasite. Round worms can lay dormant --- a fast will not weaken this parasite, either. Tape worms do share the meal, but it is very unlikely that a fast would weaken this parasite, either. This is simply an untrue statement. Parasites live in the soil; therefore do not depend on the gut contents of the dog. The round worm can lay dormant for a long time inside the dog; thus not depending on the gut content of the dog. [/color]

Coupled with the other methods I listed, garlic, the addition of grated vegetables and pumkin seeds, after a short fast, and adding these things in to the animals food before and after the fast, these ingredients irritate the worms further and help eliminate some more of the worms.

This helps the wormer at the vet be more effective.

[color=violet][b]Sorry, but I have to disagree since the wormer normally used by vet is either Pyrantel Pamoate or Tartarate or Fenbendazole. Mebendazole and Thiabendazole is also used (not as much, but is used). These are very effective and would work just as well on a healthy robust worm as it would on a dimenished one. [/b][/color]

I personally would never recommend an OTC remedy from Walmart (or any such type store). I have had terrible experiences with OTC chemicals, which while rare, do happen. The loss of my kitty and the health issues that lasted months in my (human) family and other cat will never again be worth the risks of using such harsh chemicals in my home. I know many people have great results with some of these treatments, but they do carry risks.

[color=indigo]Old Lassie is Pyrantel Pamoate and does work, it is found at Wal-mart. Cats are known to be sensitive to many things.[/color]

And if someone can't afford to go to the vet for a worming, there are low cost clinics all over, including in Petsmart themselves. I can't tell you how expensive that little bottle of Hartz flea control was, both financially and emotionally.[/quote]

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Congrats on the pup.
Puppies need to go tot he vet, adn be wormed there properly. It's usually very inexpensive, and the pets seem to like the wormer med.
Yes, those internal parasites can be spread to humans. Which is why it is crucial that your pets are vetted and wormed. It is our job to not only protect animals against the parasites, but also the community.
If not treated properly, those worms can cause serious internal damage, along with other things. Certainly not something to mess around with, or try to do yourself(de-worm).