Dogomania

Gross! Doggy eating poop

Kiger

This is nasty, but it seems like perfect little Kato has developed a perfectly nasty habit. I've caught him eating his own poop twice now. I'm hoping he's just doing it because the anti-biotics he was on probably wiped out the good flora in his gut - that's when this started. Yuck! He does this when he goes over to the neighbor's house to play with his dog and he thinks I'm not watching. Ick ick ick. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm picking up some Prozyme today.

Kavik used to do that. We fed him around 3 heaping tablespoons of yogurt everyday or every other day for a few weeks (and watched him and said NO whenever we caught him looking like he was about to dine) and no more problem. Can't say if it was the NO or the yogurt or the combination but the theory behind the yogurt is something about the live bacterial cultures in the yogurt satisfying some need the dog has to have similar in their intestines. Good luck.

Drs fostersmith have a product called Dis-taste that worked for my dog. However at the same time she was being given live yoghurt, I was doing contstant pickups and I was also teaching her the 'out' command.
Which one of these worked I don't know, it may even be that she grew out of the problem at this time. Whatever it was I am grateful that she doesn't do it any more. She will sometimes bring a small piece of poop inside to see what I will do. She stands in front of me with it in her mouth YUK! until I tell her 'out' which she does. Sure fire way to get attention when I am sitting at the computer!!!!

Last visit to moms in Md after repeatedly telling Candy not to do it she managed to sneak down the hall and help herself to some kitty box crunchies. Strolled back out smacking her lips. Naturally she wanted to play kissy face with anyone in reach. Mom did not have to scoop the box that night.

how old is kato again? we used to have a colt that would follow the others around in the pasture just WAITING for another horse to poop so he could gobble it up :o . we called the large animal vet out, and he said it was one of those things they can just grow out of. we waited around, and sure enough, in about 4 months, he just stopped!! yeah...ummm.. that was about a horse though... [size=2]nevermind[/size] :oops:

He's 4 1/2 months old. I've been giving him Prozyme for a couple days now, and I think it might be working since he hasn't shown much interest in it lately. I bet the much cheaper yogurt would have worked about the same. At least he only eats his own. :o

Guest Anonymous

When I was 7-10 I had a chihuahua who use to do that with the Cat's...
Yeah, or she'd burry her treats in the litter box!! :o

Here's a site I found, I was looking for some behavior tips, and saw this, and remembered someone posted about it on here...
SO, hopefully it'll help a little, or give some tips, I duno.

[url]http://www.ddc.com/petplace/dogtraining/poop.html[/url]