Dogomania

Serious problems...

Aroura

Lily is becoming a serious problem, she's out of control. Yesterday she started a fight with Tessa over nothing at all, we were just all sitting around the christmas tree and I thought the dogs should be with us for the present openings, as they are part of the family. If that wasn't bad enough, when we took the dogs out for a picnic Lily had a go at Tessa in the car, then again while we were at the park, then when it was time to go she wouldn't let Tess in the car, just sat there and growled and threatend to attack.
Today she hasn't been much better, in fact she's been a whole lot worse. Its like she's out to get in trouble. She can't be in the same room as Tessa and whenever I'm not right next to her she just whines and whines. This morning she carrying on something shocking, barking like mad. There was a little kid in the neighbours yard and when I went out he poked his head over the fence. I asked him if he wanted to meet Puddles and picked her up and he gave her a pat. Then Lily came running around the corner, hackles up just growling and barking at this little kid staring him right in the eyes, which worrys me... dog aggression is one thing but when she looks at a little kid like that ready to attack, even if she is just protecting her territory, its a really bad sign.
Any suggestions would be great, I'm taking her to the vets asap to get desexed and buying her a muzzle. Its terribly dissapointing that she's turned out like this, especially as I was looking forward so much to breeding her etc. :cry:

Aurora, I'm so sorry to hear about Lily's problem. I know it must have been a hard choice but I think you made the right one, desexing her is probably best. When you take her into the vets I would mention the problem. You may want to see if a dog behavourist can work at Lily's problem first but giving your vet a heads up so you both can monitor the issue and discuss appropriate medication if it becomes necassary could be useful. Best of Luck.

Sorry to hear this about Lily :(
You might have a job getting a muzzle for her
because of her head shape.
Aroura, have you contacted the breeder about her behaviour yet?
If not then give her a ring and have a chat with her.
i do think this time the presents thing could have set her off again :o

We will all give you as much support and help you need,
but no more stroppys, cursing, or rudeness when you dont like the replys
OK :lol:
Roo

Excellent post. Reminds me of the "Treating a dog like a dog" post. Failure to recognize your dog's doggy instincts/mentality will lead to problems.

Your post reminds me of last nights incident at my parents in-laws.

We had brought the boys with us for X-mas dinner at my inlaws. My brother-in-laws kids (three of them 7, 9, and 14) had finished early and were playing in the other room with the boys.

As some point, my brother-in-law goes to check on the kids and comes back and tells us in an accusatory tone that Sam scratched one of the kids on the cheek, right below her eye.

I'm thinking to myself "Right. The dog I can trust with duckings is suddenly a menace with kids".

My wife gets up to go investigate. Being a grade 1 teacher, she can be an excellent interrogator of children. So she starts asking questions.

What happened? The kids were trying to get him to get up on his back legs. They were trying all sorts of things until stumbled across the right command, "Stand up". So the kids told Sam to "stand up" and good old Sam did exactly what he was told; he stood up on his back legs. Mind you, he's a 90 lbs dog and not being a natural biped, he tends to reach out to steady himself. Well, when he did so he accidently got one of the kids in the face with his paw.

My wife came back and told my brother-in-law, in front of everyone, that Sam was simply doing what he was told and if his kids couldn't behave properly with the dogs then perhaps they should be moved to another room where they could be watched.

Guest Anonymous

This is the most sensible thing I have read for a long time, I only wish people would realise that a dog has feelings too and that they get very cofused if they are not trained properly and treated with kindness. Excellent article, I hope many people read it!

Guest Anonymous

I am new here, but I have to say that it sounds like you haven't been around animals, dogs, etc that much. First of all, what the HE*l would you take a dog out in public if it is in heat? If you are a female yourself, you should know how you feel when you have your monthly thing. Some of us are really BITCHY. Hence the name for a female dog---BITCH.
What I am trying to say, is that when a female dog goes into heat she can be very unpredictiable. She has all of these harmones fludding her system, and she is not in controll of them. If you are not a qualified/reptubale breeder, SPAY/NEUTER your dogs! Why? First of all, there are enough unwanted pets being killed every day because no one wants them. Then you have backyard breeders who breed there dogs for profit. They don't even care to do genetic testing on the parents to see if the pups born will be healthy or not.....not to mention testing or screaning of any kind on the parents. I am a Rottweiler Rescue Volunteer, and I have seen far too many good dogs die, suffer, etc, just because of profit,neglect and stupidity! It makes me sick!
So if you don't know what you are doing and have no training or background with your breed of dogs or dogs of any kind, PLEASE let the proffessionals breed the dogs! Also, ask the vet for help for you and your dog before it is too late. You can easily turn things around for you and your dog, if you take the propper steps to do so! Good Luck!
Quote for the day:
LOVE YOUR DOG MORE THAN LIFE ITSELF, BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW HOW MUCH TIME YOU HAVE TOGETHER! :mad:

[quote name='ilive4rotties']I am new here, but I have to say that it sounds like you haven't been around animals, dogs, etc that much. First of all, what the HE*l would you take a dog out in public if it is in heat? If you are a female yourself, you should know how you feel when you have your monthly thing. Some of us are really BITCHY. Hence the name for a female dog---BITCH.
What I am trying to say, is that when a female dog goes into heat she can be very unpredictiable. She has all of these harmones fludding her system, and she is not in controll of them. If you are not a qualified/reptubale breeder, SPAY/NEUTER your dogs! Why? First of all, there are enough unwanted pets being killed every day because no one wants them. Then you have backyard breeders who breed there dogs for profit. They don't even care to do genetic testing on the parents to see if the pups born will be healthy or not.....not to mention testing or screaning of any kind on the parents. I am a Rottweiler Rescue Volunteer, and I have seen far too many good dogs die, suffer, etc, just because of profit,neglect and stupidity! It makes me sick!
So if you don't know what you are doing and have no training or background with your breed of dogs or dogs of any kind, PLEASE let the proffessionals breed the dogs! Also, ask the vet for help for you and your dog before it is too late. You can easily turn things around for you and your dog, if you take the propper steps to do so! Good Luck!
Quote for the day:
LOVE YOUR DOG MORE THAN LIFE ITSELF, BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW HOW MUCH TIME YOU HAVE TOGETHER! :mad:[/quote]

Am i being a bit thick here :o
But where does it say
[color=red] First of all, what the HE*l would you take a dog out in public if it is in heat?[/color]
please tell me :-?

Yeah, I'm still here :wink:
Thanks for the posts, k I understand completely about dogs being in the wrong situation etc... you see it here every day with cattle dogs chained up in backyards and then being put down because for absolutly no reason whatsoever the dog bit someone :(
ilive4rotties, I never mentioned she was in heat, and even said I was getting her desexed, so whats with the rant? No, I'm not breeding her anymore, I paid alot of money to buy her so I could breed her, but I'm not stupid enough to continue her bloodline if its going to give the breed a bad name.
I'm going to give the breeder a call too, not only to talk to her about it and ask her for help, but also to let her know that there is a bad bloodline in there.
Hmm, I know it will be hard finding a muzzle, but I'm still going to look. Any suggestions on the type of muzzle? I'd only use it in cases where trouble could occur such as social gatherings etc and when young kids are around. Prevention is always better than cure, and with our laws etc the only cure is for the dog to be put down, and I'm not going to have that happen :o
I agree about the present thing, she must have remembered what happend last time or something, but now everytime she sees Tess inside she growls and gets her hackles up, good thing she knows I'm alpha though, now all I say is "stop it Lily" and she'll back down and just sit and glare at Tess. Although she is still angry, she is alot more easily controlled now.
I'm going to speak to the members at Lilys training club, they should be able to help out :roll:

Aroura, Sorry to hear of the continued worries with Lily. I agree that desexing her is a sensible thing to do.
I would caution you though to tread VERY carefully about calling the breeder to report a 'bad bloodline'. You want this person to help you and be a resource to you, might have some trouble with that if you call her up and tell her she's got temperament issues in her bloodlines. You need to ASK questions and explain the troubles you are having. You do not need to TELL her that the problem is in her bloodlines. Not saying that is isn't but that may well turn her off completely on you and limit the cooperation you get with assistance.
It may not have much to do with Lily's breeding, there have been numerous issues within her environment that may have brought this on. Her feelings of insecurity and the upheavals shes' gone through I'm sure have played a major role in her emotional and mental development.

Thanks Carol, I'll take that into consideration. When I got Lily I promised to call every now and again to let her know how she's going. When I bought Lily I told the breeder that I was intending to breed and she was glad to know she was going to a good home and said Lily would be excellent to breed but to contact her before I bred so she could help me find a good stud dog. I'll ask her about the bloodlines etc rather than telling her that they are bad.
I'm not sure if her troubles are entirely due to her situation, she has always been very protective over me and since I got her she has been unhappy with other dogs coming near me.
She's so perfect in every other way though, its such a pity I can't breed her... but you've gotta do what you've gotta do!

Aroura,

My Malamute-Willow used to have a problem with little dogs and would try to bite. I honestly believe it was the high pitched barking. We sought professional assistance from a trainer and have worked it out by socializing him with small dogs in a controlled environment. But, before we saw the trainer we had no choice but to buy a muzzle. We were in a very remote area and had no access to a good trainer.
I bought the humane muzzle that allows panting, drinking but no biting. It fits around the head so that the dog is comfortable and is not associating the muzzle with bad things to come. Willow got used to it.
I almost think he was scared of the little dogs. He's fine now. One very important thing I learned is that if I felt nervous about Willow meeting a little dog he would get more antsy. I have to control my emotions so that he doesn't react off of them.
Make any sense :wink:
Go To: [url]http://husher.com/main.html[/url]
The fitting Guide is here and you can call them with your exact measurements as well: [url]http://husher.com/fitting.html[/url]
I hope this helps.

well ilive4rotties, you need to get your facts straight before you go of the deep end again killer. it sounds like you are the one in heat. maybe you should be desexed instead. if you are new here dont come in here and through your opinion around like you have been here for a long time. its a matter of respect. everyone on this board is very very helpful and very respectful of each other. if you want to continue to be a member maybe you should make sure you do the same.

Aurora
I may be completely off track here because I don't know the full history. From what I have read though, it sounds like your aggressive boxer is making a play for top dog (among the dogs that is, not including you)
Is she about 2 years old?? I'm assuming she's a younger dog than the one she bullies? If so, it sounds like she's making a play for the other dog's position in the heirarchy. Or she might just be reinforcing her position because she perceives a threat to it in the other dog.

Some alpha dogs (bitches especially I have found) like to be nasty dictators when they get top dog position and all submissive dogs below them must constantly bow and scrape to get away without being reprimanded by the queen. Other alpha dogs are more confident in their position and rule gently but firmly. Maybe her aggression toward the other dog stems from this.
I'm assuming you recognise the angry girl as second in charge after you and give her the respect she needs to be given in plain sight of the other dogs? I have found that aggression from second ranked dogs can be dampened (not totally removed) by making it obvious that you (the pack leader) recognises and endorses their position as second in charge by feeding them first, allowing them in and out of the house first, putting on their lead first when taking them for walks etc etc etc.
Even if secretly your other dog is your favourite, you must recognise who the dogs see as second in charge and treat your favourite accordingly. If your favourite is the pack fool and must be submissive to every other dog in the pack, you must treat him as the pack subordinate and feed him last etc. You can still cuddle and love him up but not too much and not in front of the dominant dogs.

As for human aggression, maybe this can be sorted out after she feels comfortable with her place in your pack. Don't give up on her tho, I think there's plenty of hope.

She's only one year old, but I do agree she's trying to climb up in rank in the ladder of dominance. Tessa is 4 years old, so she's always been the alpha dog until now. I think I will need some serious long chats with the trainers at the dog club as, aside from her aggresion towards Tessa I'm worried about her aggresion towards other dogs... such as a Pit Bull/Ridgeback cross built like a barrel that she tried to challenge today... stupid owners don't know the meaning of shutting the gate and let their savage beast have free range of the street around the house. The dog came charging at us and instread of backing down Lily lunged at it and all hell would have broken loose if I would have let Lily at her, but luckily for us when I pulled Lily back the other dog retreated back into its yard. The owners of that dog can be expecting a fairly nasty letter in the mail, that dog probably would have killed Lily given half a chance :evil:
Then there was the little kid in the yard we walked past who Lily raised her hackles up at and growled at... thats what worrys me the most. She's always played with kids before and now suddenly she sees them as a threat.
One thing I can assure you of though is that I will NEVER give up, aside from her recent attitude she's still, and will always be, my little angel :angel: