Dogomania

Treating Dogs Like, um Dogs

Carolk9s

In a previous post, mention was made of how some say 'treat a dog like a dog not a person'. I agree with Mei-Mei that sometimes this is just an excuse to treat dogs inhumanely or like objects. The following is not AT ALL intended to disagree with those who are offended by the saying.
I feel that in certain respects we should treat dogs like dogs and let dogs be dogs. They are NOT people in fur coats, they do not think like we do, they do not react like we do, they don't see the world like we do. In many ways they are better off because of that as well!
Now when I say 'treat a dog like a dog', I am meaning don't expect a dog to understand like a person would. It gets my dander up to hear someone say, it's JUST a dog then turn right around and say, dang dog KNOWS he/she is not allowed to wear blues shoes on Monday! Yeah, a little exaggeration but I hope my meaning came through. He's JUST a dog but he's supposed to have this great understanding of our expectations, especially when 'I just don't have time for training a dog, but he KNOWS when he's in trouble'. sigh....
Now you would not (I hope) let your human children run around sniffing others butts or let them poop in the park or hump other kids. Because people are not supposed to do that! However these are natural things in a dogs world so while we might roll our eyes and call our dog away if their getting TOO personal most of us understand that a dog has to do what a dog has to do. Without being a total nuisance of course.
I have a lot of faith in my dogs off leash training and reliability BUT I also know that every now and again, they are gonna act like dogs. That means if they see another dog or heaven help me a rabbit or squirrel, chances are they are gonna take off like a shot. Knowing that, off leash fun is limited, very limited. I cannot expect them to understand that dashing off like that and perhaps zipping across the road could very well be deadly to them.
Also as Mei-Mei said in another post, most of us do not treat them like people, the dog might sleep on the floor and chew on bones. Then again some of my brothers drinking buddies of the past..well nevermind.
My dogs sleep on the couch, the bed, on me AND on the floor now and then.

[quote name='Carolk9s']
Now you would not (I hope) let your human children run around sniffing others butts or let them poop in the park or hump other kids.[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: Carol....this part just struck my funnybone!

I have not so far allowed my children to do these things.... :lol: although they have thought of some other embarrassing things to do...

but if they ever do them I will let you know!!!!

Seriously, I think dogs are happier being DOGS. They don't have a clue why we try to treat them like humans!

:o [color=darkblue]OK now I have seen your other post so I understand where you are coming from on this...so I better clarify be4 u guys accuse me of treating them inhumanely !!! :wink:

My DOGS have to obey commands, potty outside, sometimes sleep in a crate, and get off the couch if I say so. They may not destroy my belongings, or pee in the middle of my bed (like my friend's dog does on a regular basis) just because they are my little darlings. They have to eat dogfood, not what they want (which is, anything sweet).
The biggest way that I think i treat mine like "dogs" is.... if it is a nice warm day, i may boot them out to the back yard for awhile so that they can romp and I can mop the floor in peace! So there!

[size=2]oh...I also would not throw the ball and encourage my human child to catch it in his mouth[/size] :wink: [/color]

Corgi, I spose you could use M&Ms or cherry tomatoes to get your kids to catch in their mouths instead of a tennis ball? :wink:

Dogs love having an order, and in that someone they can look up to ie. alpha. A lot of dogs LOVE being told what to do (even though they might not show it all the time LOL), and they do it because they like it, we make it fun or we reward them.

I talk to my dog sometimes, not that he understands, but it's very soothing because he doesn't answer back :wink:

Love them as though they are human, but be patient with them as though they were animals.

In my opinion, the best relationship you can have with your dog is if you understand that he/she is different. They have different motivations, needs and desire. To fail to understand their unique psychology is an invitation to problems and frustration.

So many times I see so called "problem dogs" where the real problem lies with the owner failing to understand the psychology of his/her dog. At the leash-free area we went to yesterday, this golden stole my glove. The owner was frantically running after the dog trying to get my glove back. Needless to say, the golden thought this was a great game. After a few minutes of this, I asked the owner if I could try. He stopped chasing, I pulled out a bag of liver treats, and "traded" for my glove. He just looked at me in amazement.

Guest Anonymous

Yes, they are dogs, not humans. Although, sometimes I wonder....like when we tell Kenzo to get off the back of the couch and he walks away but turns his head towards us and looks as if he's saying F YOU! :roll:

And as I'm pet sitting the Rottie next door, it's easy to confuse dog/human behavior. He loves me so much (at least that's how I take it) that he never wants me to leave. He puts his massive body in front of me to block me from the door. :lol:

My dogs live outside 60% of the time and they seem to like it that way. They are aware of the rules of my pack because the rules are simple. No fighting, no chewing of plants/shoes and human belongings, no digging and no peeing in the house. If they follow these simple rules the pack leader (me) is a loving and benevolant one, if the rules are broken the pack leader asserts his dominance. I do this by voice and posture and if that doesn't work a sharp slap on the muzzle usually get's their attention.

Dogs are definitely happier being dogs, the ones that are really spoilt and treated like humans are sometimes hopeless when in the company of other dogs, they don't really know how the pack structure works.
Merry Xmas from Reggie, Nancy Cleo and Me.

Guest Anonymous

[quote]Dogs are definitely happier being dogs, the ones that are really spoilt and treated like humans are sometimes hopeless when in the company of other dogs, they don't really know how the pack structure works.[/quote]

I have a perfect example of this. My husband's mother has a malte-poo. She is spoiled rotten. She no longer eats kibble at all. She eats whatever mom eats...and expects it. (Now i realize some actually cook meals for their dogs, which is fine, but Prescious just gets whatever is made for the nightly meal, she will no longer eat kibble...refuses). She is so spoiled that she does not like others, does not know how to socialize, and shakes anytime someone else has her. She is terrible to be around.

I totally agree with everyone. If you all knew me personally, my dogs are my babies. They mean everything to me. And I dont even like it when others say "Well their just dogs". That is not the case, but i do know that in my head. I treat them with respect. I give them a schedule and structure and rules. And I gaurntee that everytime I walk through that door they are thier for me, smiling and wagging as fast as possible. They know that I am mommy and that if they do as i ask, i will entertain them, feed them, walk them, let them go see other doggies, take them for rides in the car, buy them toys and treats.

They look forward to the time we spend together. That is the way it is supposed to be. Dogs are here to be companions, helpers, caregivers, healers, kissers, snugglers, our friends.

Another thing about the comment quoted above. What happens to children when they are spoiled rotten. The same type of thing that happens to dogs. Do not overdo it but...

"Give a little love, get unconditional love in return"

Good thread...and good posts, everyone!

I am 16, own two dogs of my own (a yellow lab mix, and a rotti/lab mix) and I take full responsibility of them. I really have learned so much from my dogs, something that a human probably could not have taught me.

Dogs are now considered part of the family, which they should- because they are such special animals. But- some act as if there dogs are human. They eat human food, they are spoiled rotten, get what they want, treated like a human (which can and cannot be a good thing) and they get away with lots more than dogs should...you will definitely run into problems if you spoil your dog so much.

A dog is a dog, it wasn't born as a human- and cannot turn into a human. Just like us humans have our own traits and characteristics, so do dogs. They have minds of their own- they don't have human minds...you can't train your kid like you train your dog. Do not train a dog to be human- train a dog to be and act like a dog. You must show your dog who is the head of the house, the alpha...and they must know that they are under your authority, and that you have the last word. Don't let the cute looks manipulate you...be firm, strong, and use discipline...and when good, use praise. The other day I drove by somebodys house with my friend. It was snowing out, and the dog was outside playing...my friend turns to me and says "that is so mean"...what? what is so mean about a dog having fun and enjoying the snow? Just because you would not be having fun, does not mean the dog isn't having fun- you are two totally different species. DOGS LOVE SNOW!!! now, it would be different if the dog was sitting there shaking in front of the door- waiting to go in. But this dog was jumping around, butt-tucking in the snow...and it was fine.

Actually, sometimes I think it is an insult to label a dog as a human...dogs are so much more loving, no matter how many times they see you- if you walk away, and come back again...they will greet you like they haven't seen you in a year, they love to be loved and to cuddle- no matter with who, they love ALL people, I don't really think they have "enemies", they never talk back, and I haven't seen a dog that has hated someone, yet.

Humans cause the most destruction to dogs, if you really think about it. Or should I say, humans can cause destruction to dogs. we are given the lives of these precious animals to take care of, and to train properly. Some people take that for advantage- and improperly train their dogs...some train their dogs to fight, some just spoil their dog to pieces in which they hardly learn anything, some train their dogs to attack, etc.

Love your dog like you would your family, but train and treat it like its a dog...