Dogomania

Surgery

Hobbit

[quote name='Mei-Mei']Hobbit, I didn't know you had Anatolians! I am fascinated by the breed. Are they very aggressive or just on the level of say a German Shepherd? Did you have any dominance problems?[/quote]

VERY aggressive towards anything that isn't part of the "pack". They will kill a coyote in a heartbeat. They have an incredibly deep bark. They are aloof at strangers and will stand between us and them. We normally put them up if someone comes out --- it makes me nervous when strangers come out (especially those with small children). If we are caught off guard and someone just "shows" up (I loath those characters), then we tell them to let the Anatolians approach them and NOT to approach the Anatolians. So far, Annie and Sable have been really good.

Oh yeah, dominance problems. They are persnickity when it comes to some things. If they get mad at one of the dogs, goodness --- they want to kill the dog. It takes them FOREVER to cool out and some times, we just have to watch them around the one that they've "choosen" to not like (because if the opportunity arises, they will take it and kill the dog). They are very gentle with us, but their aggression toward a coyote or varmits are a reminder that they can get nasty.

Annie is a mole freak. She hunts them down, digs them up and kills them. Sable likes to trip you when you walk. She takes great delight in this and it's a game to her. She will sneak up behind you while you are walking and grab your leg at the ankle with her paw --- then laughs as you fall on your face. I've been working on stopping this behavior and have done fairly well. She now only does it when she's really happy to see you. She is just trying to get you to stop and talk to her. It's more like predator and prey thing. They have been a saviour for us keeping the coyotes and wolf-hybrid's away from the house.

Now, if I could make them understand to just leave the skunks alone and let him just wonder off --- without chasing the skunk and causing him to SPRAY everywhere...... :wink:

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Oh my. No wonder we haven't heard from you. You've been very busy with kids that didn't make it (so sorry about your loss), Guy's recovery and adjustment, and the nasty skunk.

I'll bet Guy is just SO dang happy to be home. I'd love to see the expressions on everyones faces when he returned.

Sorry about that nasty smell you have to deal with......

I'm just soo happy that Guy is home! :lol:

Do we have a bounce off the wall emoticon????

Guest Anonymous

WOW... I thought I had a busy week!!!

Sorry about the kids :( ...
Oh poor baby Guy...(hehehe picture tail wagging festival at your house!!!)
I can imagine him not wanting to use leg because he is scared someone will have to adjust it AGAIN....
I am guessing all of the flexing and towel thing is for circulation?? I know I still have to do that for Jac...he still hops at times and knuckles at times..
My fingers are still crossed for Guy that leg is 100% better :wink: !!

The skunk... Hehehe
OMG That smell hit me last night when I opened my door BUT it was not ON my house!!! I feel for you and spouse... Washing washing washing
Clothes pins on nose... :lol:

Well I hope the rest of the week is better!! :D

Thanks everyone.

Funny thing is, we are used to the smell and can't smell it. I went to the post office yesterday, rather quickly, wasn't thinking about anything and noticed people would pass and then look rather hard at me!! :lol: :lol: It took me a minute to figure out what was going on --- I DID LAUGH!! :lol:

The hot wet towels are to get his muscles ready for the exercises. I don't see why he would need it, he is active --- ALL OVER THE HOUSE. Hot wet towels before exercise and then cold wet towels after exercise to keep the swelling down.

Taking him out to use the bathroom and a short walk --- he wants to go 9-0 (wide open). He doesn't care that he's not supposed to, he just knows that life is passing him by and he MUST make the most of it NOW.

Our conclusion --- a regular person could not do this. We aren't regular, okay.......we're not normal, ... happy?? :lol: . So, the average person that works all day, cares for a family --- would be hard pressed to do this. It's an all day job, with a few hours off inbetween.

Guest Anonymous

I'd take time off (family medical leave act :lol: )!

Or, I have dog loving neighbors that don't work and could help while I'm at work.

Hobbit, these are your children (yes, you have a human child, but she doesn't count!). I know you would do anything for them.

Guest Anonymous

I have come to the conclusion that men learn 89% of their "trivia" knowledge on the john!! :lol: :lol:

So he is all over the place and still not using his leg????

Jacsmom -- he'll put his leg down when resting, but just refuses to use it at all. We have walked him slow (which is almost impossible) and let him play with Hobbit and Sakari. He does slap the fire out of Sakari with the halo'ed leg while playing. It hurts, she runs away and just looks at him. Then stalks him and pounces. When it gets too wild, she has to go outside for a minute with Hobbit and play with him outside.

MeiMei -- we have a nice stock pond that in the summer Guy loves to swim in. I think it's too cold to swim, although; all the dogs still go swimming! Brrrrrrrr.

I don't know how I missed the latest installment... sorry about the goats:( but I am so glad that Guy is home and going well, even though it must hurt him I hope he can understand that this is all for his own good, even if it doesn't feel like it. :angel:

what does a skunk's stinkbomb smell like?

[quote name='bk_blue']
what does a skunk's stinkbomb smell like?[/quote]

Actually, from a distance, I like the smell of a skunk. NOT up close and personal, though. It depletes the imediate area of oxygen (not really, but seems that way). You can't breathe, your eyes sting and when the oil gets in your lungs (from breathing the skunk oil saturated air) you continue to breath it FOR DAYS and even MONTHS.

NASTY ----- :crazyeyes: