Dogomania

Can anyone tell me about Labs?????

eggrolyn1223

Guest Anonymous

Till you get the "no chew" or "leave it" down!! :D :D Puppyhood last 2 yrs... This is why most Labs end up in shelters because those Labs turn out to be more than cute little 5 lb puppies... Egg if you stick to it you will have the best dog in the world... They are chewers for sure!!Jac loves Kongs...Stuff them with Cherrios, bannanas,apples(not the seeds), dog food, peanut butter(not to much) then you can freeze them... They are very intelligent so it should be easy to train her. They can also be hyper at times but his can be fun!! :D They love to walk, camp, ride, hike, and most anything... Just mainly depends on the dog and the person...

How old is Duck??

Labs are probably the most misunderstood of all the dog breeds. There is something like 6327 Labs listed on "Pet finder".

It really is sad, because like Jacsmom said --- they are extremely intelligent and very much worth the time and effort. Unfortunately, most/lots/majority (?) of the people aren't willing to give them a chance (a total chance of years).

AND no offense here but, Labs are hunting dogs and should be hunted. The AKC show people are doing their best to breed this characteristic out of the Lab.

I dont' mean a person should go bird hunting (if this is not possible) --- there are other ways to satisfy the "need" to hunt. Play hunt with them, have them hunt stuff and retrieve it, that will satisfy their genetic tug to hunt.

Guest Anonymous

So true Hobbit...With Jac we don't hunt birds now but we hunt people... We are training Jac to track! He loves it! :D He seems to be a natural but this is because it is a quality found in the Lab. At 7 months he can find people and follow a scent that is 20 minutes old.. We stared this at 4 months and it is a game to him... Most Labs that excell at this are also great hunters!

Surprisingly enough there are show breeders who are taking their dogs now and getting hunter titles on them and trying to breed a "dual" purpose Lab!

[quote name='Jacsmom']So true Hobbit...With Jac we don't hunt birds now but we hunt people... We are training Jac to track! He loves it! :D He seems to be a natural but this is because it is a quality found in the Lab. At 7 months he can find people and follow a scent that is 20 minutes old.. We stared this at 4 months and it is a game to him... Most Labs that excell at this are also great hunters!

Surprisingly enough there are show breeders who are taking their dogs now and getting hunter titles on them and trying to breed a "dual" purpose Lab![/quote]

Darn....now you can't lose your kids on purpose at the mall! :wink:

I hope the other breeders and show people follow suit instead of just breeding for whatever "look" a certain judge likes.

Did you use the "weenie" method teaching him to track and "find"?

Weenie method --- does kind of sound bad, huh --- :o

It's not, it's method to guide the dog onto what you want him to track. There are so many different smells, sometimes it's confusing as to which smell you want him to track.

Put his tracking harnes on: drag the weenie on the ground, have someone with a weenie hide a few yard/feet away, show him the scent and the weenie --- let him track, be able to run, as soon as he finds the person with the weenie --- he gets a weenie and lots of praise. Extend your distance as soon as he can find "weenie man" with no problem. Soon, you can wean him off the weenie and go onto other stuff --- like scarves, socks etc... Keep the treats at the end of the track, and wean him off gradually. He'll just think it's a big game with a treat involved.

How did you teach Jac to track?

Guest Anonymous

No weenie!

Had my son go hide out in the woods behind the house barefooted (approx 50yds). Waited 5 minutes took a sock let Jac sniff it and said Go Seek, Seek! The first time it took probably 5 mins. but he found him.
Now we go hide approx 75 yards crossing tracks wait anywhere from 10-20 mins and say Seek and he goes (and I mean Go) He finds you in 4-5 minutes depending on how many times you crossed over.

What is funny is if you have been thru the yard in the last hour prior to tracking he picks that up to but you can tell when it is an old track he picks up because he slows way down... If it is a fresher track he goes faster!

It is almost as if he was born to track.. He loves it! All you have to do is be in the house and say Seek and he is at the door ready to go! :D

Guest Anonymous

It is amazing to watch.. I love the fact that he enjoys it so much! I want to to more training with him but I am waiting on his leg to heal more and hoping he gets full use of his foot back as it is still knuckling up somewhat!!

We are taking him to the lake today for some PTherapy and exercise!! :D

Weenie method... way bad visual. :-?

I have a Lab, too, named Tucker. He's the coolest dog. Does all the typical Lab things... retrieves (anything that's thrown), swims, of course, he's brilliant (aren't they all?) and is also a certified therapy dog. Yup, you couldn't find a better dog at the shelter (which is exactly where he came from). We adore him. He has the typical overbred Lab geeky hips, though, and recently had surgery, but, hey, he's worth it.

Ive got a lab x ret. and she was about 2yrs old before she gave up on chewing and stealing shoes!!!!! Then she took up digging whooping great holes in the garden to sun herself in .She used to be my horse riding dog and quite happily jumped up on the front of a horse for a ride when we'd covered too many miles I got here over the radio for a slab of beer( everything was sold over the radio due to distance over there) I no that sound irresponsible but at the time dogs other than sheep dogs were hard to find where I lived .Shes been through a number of life changes will me and is now 12yrs old I dread the day she will no longer be with me but the vet tells me shes the healthiest senior citizen hes seen in a long time Her name suits her down to the ground although in the first few years I wasnt quite so sure it is ANGEL :lol:

Guest Anonymous

Go Duck!! Labs love to learn :D .. and please their owners... She is still a baby so the biting and barking will come with time! Keep working with her and you will be amazed at the things she will pick up and learn! :wink:

Koolie those first years are a test of will aren't they!! :wink: :D

Horsefeathers you reminded me of a time my sister was training her Lab (very large yellow male) and was convinced!! that he would NOT pull on his lead no matter what..... Well my son had the bright idea to put him to the test...So he picks up a rock and throws it through the yard..And off through the yard goes the ever obedient Lab dragging my sister, while my son rolls on the grass laughing :o :wink: Yes I love Labs..They make me smile with their antics because just when you think you have them trained and perfect....they show you different... :wink:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

A good site you can go to is

[url]http://www.workfromhomemillionaire.com/forums/upload/[/url]

It's a site that a bunch of us Labbie owners go to. We have people who own dogs of other breeds to but it is primarily labs. We would love to have you on our board and anyone else who would like to visit.