Dogomania

Alternative medicines

Guest roo

:P I give my dogs homeopathic medicine for a number of ailments, i.e upset tummy pulled muscles any sort of injury( if it serious and needs the vet or an operation, there are treatments to give them before and after the op to help healing and shock) I am a great believer in homeopathic medicine because I have tried it and it works. It is natural safe and there are no side effects. Let me know if you need any more info. [email][email protected][/email]

Guest Anonymous

I watched a show the other day on were a vet put Vit. E on a cat's paws to help make them soft...I am thinking of this for Jac since he is still knuckling on his bad paw... Has anyone heard of this or tried it??

Guest Anonymous

What about on the pad have you heard of that? Being a house dog (and having to stay off his leg) his pads are not in the best of shape because they do not get worn down like normal. So they are just cracking not bad but they could be in better shape... So I was thinking Vit. E? :-?

Jacsmom,
What about a salve made by "Happy Jack". The name is something like .... hum, I can't remember the name, but it's for cracked pads and it's used by alot of hunting dog owners.

"Corn Huskers" hand lotion is what a friend uses for his Jack Russells, he swears by it.

I think Vit E would be great, because if he licks it --- it's not likely to hurt him (of course if he ingests alot of it, it could). Vit E is great for our hands and it keeps them soft and supple.

Isn't that amazing....in the house away from sharp objects, rocks, sticks, grass, hot-dry sand and their pads get dry and crack!!!

It sure couldn't hurt to try it (the Vit E).

[quote name='Gordonmom']Hi! I am new to this site!

Hunting dog owners soak their dogs feet in brewed tea to toughen them up before going out in the field![/quote]

Welcome Gordonmom
Roo....
Does brewed tea work?

Guest Anonymous

Gordonmom Welcome!!!
I have never heard that... I bet it is a job for you though!! :D
I will have to give it a try..Me,Jac(78lb Lab), and soaking feet..
If it works well worth it though!! :wink:

Guest Anonymous

I can only imagine trying to get Ruby to let me get her paws wet on purpose! :o
She avoids puddles (Thank God) like a little princess. :D 8)

One time it started raining when we were at the park. :-?
We ran back to the car & managed to just get inside when it went from raining to POURING! When we got home, it was still pouring. :(
So the idea was to run as quickly as possible from the car to the covered apartment hallway, right? :lol:
Well, Ruby refused to leave the car!!!! :o
I swear her expression was saying "NO Thanks! You go ahead.....I'll just stay here and guard the car. Really......I'm OK........no need to bother.........Just let me out when this nonsense stops." :wink:

How long do you have to try to make them be still to leave their paws in the tea? :-?
How do you get them to stay still??!

Guest Anonymous

Gordonmom I can just picure your dogs..
"Great what does mom want to train us to do TODAY??!!" How funny!! :D :P
"Is she nuts?" "Have you seen this or smelled it?" Hahahaha :wink:

Hi Gordonmom and welcome :D
I didn't know that about the tea, what's in it that makes the paws toughen up?
Bk used to avoid puddles like the plague, but now he stands in them and drinks out of the puddles. (I always take water along with me, but he just likes puddle water!). I thought it may have been to cool his feet off? But he does it in winter too. :-? I know dogs sweat out of their feet but I just thought it was odd. Does anyone else's dog do that?
Oh and I love the exasperated look that sometimes creeps into his eyes when going through another obedience exercise... "[i]I[/i] can do it standing on my head, [i]you're[/i] the one who can't get your signals right!" :wink: (Anthropomorphism at its finest :D)

Guest Anonymous

Hehehehe :lol: Will Colgate work just as well??? :D

Actually, tannin IS what is used to treat cowhide.
The American Indians use tea to stain beads made of bone to color their jewelry. (I love going to Indian Festivals!)
To answer your question, I think it will stain the white fur.
Ask a furrier?
Roo, Is there a place that you could call locally (for you) that sells real fur coats? I bet a salesperson there would know!