Dogomania

HISTORY OF YOUR BREED!!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='bk_blue']Hey Rowie- with the Golden's colouring, they can also come in a white-gold colour can't they? So you have the rich gold colour (as seen in your post) and the white gold, is that correct? I am just curious and you would probably know the answer to that question :)[/quote]

Rowie's coat color is actually white Gold :D . The pic I posted isn't her color, I just whent to the Gallery on Dogo, and posted it! You see Rowie is whit gold, she isn't a dark gold color......ummmm.....maybe I can find a link....just a sec...ill post it now. :D

:D Well then, Rowie's cream colored( A.K.A. White Gold :lol: )

Roo, is there such thing as white gold? I thought Rowie was white Gold(if that's a true color), what I meant was that she was cream :) She doesn't have any white hairs though, just a little on her chest! WHEN ARE WE GONNA GET THAT STOOOPIT SCANNER??????????????? :evil:

Guest Anonymous

LOL! yeah....I'm a sucker for the breed!

I'd love to get another one but mine would NOT have it!

If you would decide to venture out and get that shiba, BK, make sure you have a fenced in yard! :o Or you will NOT have a shiba anymore!

So I've heard, Shibas are quite the escape artists aren't they, all I need is another Houdini (I can see it now- BK knocks DOWN the fence and Shiba and he run off into the sunset :roll: )...

I keep looking at the RSPCA site where they have dogs up for adoption even though I really am not going to get another dog until a) BK is settled in and b) I know that I'm able to look after them until they die, and as I've just moved out of home who knows how long I will be here etc etc. and renting is hard for pet owners here. So as much as I would like to, I know that I shouldn't get another dog for the dog's sake. :(

[size=2]But oh how I would like to!!!!![/size]

Referring back to the long haired whippets, if I was ever going to have a whippet, I would want a long haired black. Absolutely stunning!

As for the history of the Belgian Sheepdog/Groenendael, I also 'cheated' and am posting some links. This first one, I had not seen before myself and found it to be very interesting.
[url]http://www.thetroutbum.com/hundesideHistorikk.htm[/url]
[url]http://www.dovetailweb.com/epix/library.htm[/url]

Breed Belgian Sheepdog
The following excerpts are from The Library at Epix Belgians
[b]First recognised as a breed in 1891, the Belgian Shepherd Dog was originally bred to herd sheep
The first Belgian Shepherd Dog standard issued recognized three varieties: dogs with long coats, short coats and rough coats
Belgian Shepherds were also used as guard dogs and draught dogs (often teamed with the larger Matins and Bouviers), and were the first dogs to be used by Belgian police forces. In March, 1899, the city of Ghent began its police dog service with three Belgian Shepherd Dogs. International police dog trials became very popular in Europe prior to the first World War, and Belgian trainers and their dogs earned a number of prizes at the trials. The Groenendael, Jules du Moulin, and his trainer, M. Tedesco, won the World Champion title at the trials for four consecutive years (1908-11).

In October 1911, the first tracking trial was held in Belgium and was won by the Groenendael, Polo. In 1913, the Kennel Club Belge (a rival national kennel club to the Societe Royale Saint-Hubert) began yearly national ring sport trials, followed in 1926 by Saint-Hubert’s national Grand Prix de Belgique yearly ring trials.

At the beginning of World War I, many Belgian Shepherd Dogs were requisitioned by the military and served in a number of war capacities: as messenger dogs, Red Cross dogs, ambulance cart dogs and, reportedly, light machine-gun cart dogs.[/b]

Country of Origin 19th century Belgium

AKC group Herding

Function herding, tracking, police, military, search and rescue

Life span about 10-14 years

Appearance large, muscular, athletic

Color Black. May be completely black, or may be black with white, limited as follows: Small to moderate patch or strip on forechest. Between pads of feet. On tips of hind toes. On chin and muzzle (frost may be white or gray). On tips of front toes--allowable, but a fault.

Activity level high Watchdog yes, good potential

Protection yes Intelligence high

Trainability Be persistent, patient, do not push.

Good with children? usually good, may not tolerate children's friends, no roughhousing, no chase games

Good with other pets? high prey drive, will chase pets, bikers, joggers, cars, etc

Good with strangers? suspicious, cautious, reserved, sensitive

Character active, watchful, attentive, intelligent, territorial, sensitive

Home environment house with a tall fenced yard (These dogs are extremely agile).

Best owner active, firm, patient leader with time to train, exercise, and socialize

Potential problems Behavioral:
over-protective, territorial aggression, chasing, stubborn, nippy, timid, fear biting

Potential problems Physical: hip dysplasia (added by me: low thyroid not uncommon, low incidence of seizure disorders-more often in Tervurens)

Recommendations: early obedience training and socialization

Guest Anonymous

[color=darkred]There are four acceptable colors(not including the "white" doberman, which is NOT acceptable[/color]

Absolutely! There are no "white" Dobermans, they're actually albinos that are all descended from one bitch....a genetic mutation.

[color=darkred]The Dobie is very suseptable to von Willebrand's disease, a very icky disease and hip dysplasia. They are also subject to heart diseas, diabetes, and liver dysfunctions(though these are not as common as the two afore mentioned). The are also very prone to bloat and should not be fed at least an hour before or after strenuous excersize. [/color]

The two big killers of Dobes are cancer and cardio. vWD (von Wellebrand's disease) is a concern in Dobes but since Dobes have a much milder form of vWD it's rarely a cause of death. There is a genetic test available to determine the status of a Dobe....clear, carrier or affected. Only affected dogs have the possibility of being "bleeders" and that seldom happens. I believe Cornell is doing a study to determine just why vWD affected Dobes aren't bleeders.

BTW, Dobermans actually have a very low incidence of hip dysplasia....one of the lowest in the OFA database.

Nice Job Nikki. BTW, I've done herding with one of my Dobes! Hmm, my first time here. I'm not sure I've done this right.....I may be sending this to limbo! <G>

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='bk_blue']What absolutely beautiful dogs you have Nancy :)

Welcome! 8)[/quote]

Thank you so much! As you could probably tell from the website, life in our house pretty much revolves around our dogs. <G>