Dogomania

HISTORY OF YOUR BREED!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

[b][color=darkblue][size=6]A little off the normal side of things we are going to do [u]History Of Your Breed! [/u]Tell us about your breed or breeds... Their origin..their original (and todays) purpose..give pics![/size][/color][/b]

[b][color=red][size=7]Show me the dogs!!!!!![/size][/color][/b]

Guest Anonymous

Okay I will start with the Labrador Retriever. (Jac)

[b]History[/b]
They were orginally seen in Newfoundland not in Labrador as their name would suggest. Commonly called St. John's Water Dog, the Little Newfoundland, and the Black Water Dog. Fisherman in Newfoundland who settled there in the 1500's wanted to develope a dog who could serve them better and make life easier. It need to be powerful with a short, dense coat that was impervous to water. No one is exactly positive what went into the pot as breeding records were not kept. Some historians believe the Labrador is a combination of Newfoundland, Black Pointer and some of the water dogs that the Portuguese fishermen brought to Canda.
The English settled and fished the rocky coast and needed a dog that was smaller than the Newfies. The Newfies could withstand the cold water but often got ice balled in their coats. The Labrador needed to have a desire to please, heavy bone structure, pull heavy loads, retrieve birds, and be athletic.
Recongnized as a seperate breed in 1904 with the Kennel Club of Britian and in the late 1920's with the AKC.
[b]A Standard[/b]
They are registered in three colors:
*Yellow:varies from a dark to a white and a Fox Red
*Chocolate: dark to light
*Black
Height: dog-22 1/2 to 24 1/2 inches
b*tches-21 1/2-23 1/2 inches
Weight: dog-65-80lbs
b*itches-55-70lbs <<---weight in working condition
Problems for Labs:
*Obesity-they love to eat. Regulate and feed them recommend feeding.
*hypothyroidism-Run blood tests to rule this out.
*Hip & Elbow Dysplasia-OFA cerf. your dog!
*Panosteitis-bone diesease. Inflammation of interior canal of the ong bones.
*Osteochondrosis-diesease of cartilage covering the ends of bones.
*PRA-degenerative diesease of the retina. Get your Lab CERF'ed every year from two to 10 years.
*Catarcts-CERF does this also
*Epilepsy-Labs do not have a predisposition to epilsy but it is common. It is also worth mentioning.

Labs have been #1 with AKC forever it seems. Everyone is breed them and no one is checking for anything. It is so sad. I see AKC registered Labs in the shelter (in fact a breeder took 4 of his females the other day :cry: ). This breed is excellent and amazing. They are SAR dogs, Service Dogs(Guiding Eyes, Seizure Alert), Therapy Dogs, K-9 dogs, Bomb Dogs, and just plain family dogs :D ..
One thing to remeber is they stay in "puppyhood" until 2 yrs old.. They chew and just when you think they are done....(at 1.5 yrs old) they chew something else.. :lol: But the love and companionship is great.

I was going to do ACDs but instead opted to write:
The History of A Mutt!
Mutts have been around for as long as dogs have. They are usually produced when two dogs of different breeds, who are strays or naughty owners haven't had them "done", get together and mate. Of course the male nicks off and it's the female (and the owner of the female) who has to put up with the pregnancy, see dogs and humans are quite similar aren't they! But I digress...
Anyway with any luck the bitch has healthy pups who take on the physical and mental characteristics of both the mum and dad. Of course if the parents themselves were mutts it's hard to tell what exactly the pups are going to look like and how big they'll get. It can also be very hard to tell what a mutt's personality is going to be like- but rest assured they'll be gorgeous nonetheless if raised with love and care, like any dog.
A mutt can have any range of inherited health problems from both parents, however there is a belief that a mutt is generally healthier due to the infusion of "new blood", and free of most of the hereditary problems that can plague purebred dogs.
A mutt is sometimes misunderstood by what I call "dog snobs" (and there are none on this board! :D) to be not as pure, good-looking or intelligent as pedigree dogs. However that is not the case. Mutts can be purebred mutts- if theire parents were mutts, it counts as pure doesn't it ;)- they can be ten times smarter than their pedigreed mates- and they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
My mutt is an ACD/Smooth Border Collie/who knows what mix. He is medium-large, lean, muscular, sickeningly healthy, freakishly smart, incredibly friendly, devoted to his family, protective of his ageing "brother", persistent, attention-seeking, snuggly, affectionate and attracts more attention than I do when we go out- he's all that and a bag of chips :D
And I love him and wouldn't have him any other way!
Herewith concludes the history of a mutt.

• 1 month later...

Early History of the Bullmastiff
Although the exact origins of the Bullmastiff are open to conjecture, the breed as we know it today was bred for the sole purpose of accompanying and protecting the gamekeeper as he went about his task of apprehending poachers in mid-19th-century Britain.

The Gamekeeper's Dog
Before the name Bullmastiff was established, the gamekeeper's companion was variously called the 'Bull and Mastiff' and the 'Gamekeeper's Night Dog'. The requirement was for a dog of sufficient agility to pursue a man, together with the power to bring him to the ground and hold him there, without savaging.
I have actually seen how the Bullmastiff does it, not just by running at full speed rearing in the air to plonk his huge paws on the mans shoulders, but actually running at speed bringing all his four paws up to knock the man to the ground, its more like congfu lol.

Numerous crosses were introduced over a period of time, including the St Bernard, Great Dane and the Bloodhound, before the combination of the Bulldog and the English Mastiff was established, with the ratio of 40 per cent Bulldog and 60 per cent Mastiff being preferred.
The Bulldog of the Victorian period was a considerably more streamlined specimen than that which has been developed in recent years, and his agility ferocity and tenancy coupled with the weight and size of the Mastiff,
made him a formidable poachers' opponent.
Some of the the early Bullmastiffs were indeed terrors, but needed to be as the penalty for poaching was death.
Bullmastiffs today are now bred for showing as well has family pets, showing the loyalty and wonderful nature that they have.

Health
Anal glands' Bloat; Cancer; Cruciate Ligament; Distichiasis; Entropian;
Eye infections in new-born puppies; Fleas; Hip dysplasia; Hypertrophic
osteodystophy; Hyperthyroidism; Mammary tumors; Mange; Osteochondrosis; Panosteitis; Persistent pupillary membrane; Prostatic disease; Pyometra; Skin and coat conditions; Vaginal hyperplasia; Wet eczema; Worm

General Appearance
Powerful build, symmetrical, showing great strength, but not cumbersome; sound and active.

Characteristics:
Powerful, enduring, active, and reliable.

Temperament:
High-spirited. alert, and faithful.

Height at shoulders:
males 64-69cms (25-27ins)
females 61-66 cms(24-26ins Weight:
males 50-59 kgs(110-130 1bs)
females 41-50 kgs (90-110 1bs)

Bullmastiffs come in three colours!

[img]http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v4/7/98/24/53979824SqQWrA_th.jpg[/img]
RED

[img]http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v1/7/99/9/53979909iiBolu_th.jpg[/img]
BRINDLE

[img]http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v4/7/99/58/53979958dGnPDd_th.jpg[/img]
FAWN

Guest Anonymous

Way too long to post, here's a couple of links to the history of my pure bred dogs. I also have a mutt, whose history has been duly noted :D

Maltese:
[url]http://www.bhejei.com/breed_history.htm[/url]

Rottweiler:
[url]http://www.barkbytes.com/history/rottie.htm[/url]

That pic was a little big wasn't it? :-? I think it will dissapear tommorow right?(like all big pix do! :x ) :-? Not fair! Everyone needs a chance to see them! :o OK, ok, enough whining......

[color=blue][size=6][b]THE HISTORY OF THE GOLDEN![/b][/size][/color]

Taken from: [url]http://www2.dogomania.com/breed/breed212/[/url]

[b][color=green]General: The Golden Retriever is a medium-sized, well-balanced dog with a distinctive golden-colored coat; small, drop ears; and a natural tail carried level with the back or with a slight upward curve. The correct relationship of length of body to height is 12:11. The Golden Retriever is a dog without exaggeration. The Golden Retriever should be evaluated as a working gun dog, and exaggerations or faults should be penalized in proportion to how much they interfere with the dog's ability to work.

Characteristics: The breed's most readily identifiable characteristic is its rich, lustrous golden color. Another essential characteristic is proper temperament. A Golden Retriever is friendly, calm, compliant and compatible with people and other dogs. Goldens are particularly good with children. The Golden Retriever's friendly temperament is reflected in his kindly expression. The Golden Retriever is a powerfully built dog, with a good nose for tracking, a soft mouth, and an eagerness to learn.

Temperament: Friendly, reliable, and trustworthy. Quarrelsomeness or hostility towards other dogs or people in normal situations, or an unwarranted show of timidity or nervousness, is not in keeping with Golden Retriever character. Such actions should be penalized according to their significance.

History: The Golden Retriever was developed in late 19th century Scotland and England primarily by crossing Flat- and Wavy-coated Retrievers, Tweed Water Spaniels, and a red Setter. The Golden was bred by British aristocrats to be a dual purpose dog, able to retrieve waterfowl and upland game birds and also to be a companion. Lord Tweedmouth produced some of the early foundation stock by mating a yellow Wavy-coated Retriever named Nous to his Tweed Water Spaniel, Belle. The Golden Retriever's friendly disposition, attractive appearance, and high level of trainability have made this breed one of the most popular in the United States. Today, Goldens are found at field trials and dog shows, in family homes and nursing homes, leading the blind and serving as ears or hands for handicapped persons.

And a little extra: :wink:

Origin: Scotland

Utilization: Hunting

Classification: Retrievers - Flushing Dogs - Water Dogs

Size: Large

Height: Dogs: 56-61 cms (22-24 ins) at withers. Bitches: 51-56 cms (20-22 ins) at withers.

Weight -

Grooming: Little

Excercise: Considerable

Activity:High

Locality: Town

Health -

Life span -

Litter size -

Good with children: Yes

Good with dogs: Yes

Good with other pets: Yes[/color]
[/b]

And a pic: [img]http://dl.dogomania.com/breeds/golden.jpg[/img]

OOOOOOOOOO......Goldens are just toooooooo beautiful! :angel:

Guest Anonymous

[quote]Love Rotties!!!!

Does anyone here have Dobermanns? (I have a soft spot for them)[/quote]

Meee! Lol... Here goes... I'm not putting the standard(go to AKC if you'd like to see it). I'm just putting the basics and interesting stuff. :)

History: The Dobie originated in Apolda in Thuringia, Germany around the 1880's. A German tax collector named Louis Herr Dobermann, who was also the keeper of a local dog pound, wanted the ideal protection dog. Being a tax collector, he was sure to be a target. So, he mixed a variety of dogs of which no one is certain. There are meny differnent breeds which are suspected. Here are a few... Rottweiler, Great Dane, German Pinscher(of which it resembles greatly!), German Shepherd(NOT like todays GSD), Manchester Terrier, German Pointer, Beauceron, Greyhounds, and a few I've probably forgotten! It was not until after Dobermann's death that the breed actually got it's name. Some people have since dropped on n, and some still use two!

Uses: The Doberman has been used for a very wide variety of purposes. The following are just some of the uses. Police work(drug dog, etc.), service dog(for the blind, disabled, etc.), Search and Rescue, war, guard, Agility, Schutzhund, Flyball, Skyhound, Obedience, and Tracking. I've also heard of Dobies being good hunting and retrieving dogs! I've even heard of one who was a hearding dog!!! Hmmm... Lol, I think my doggie would be afraid of the ducks(he's terrified of this goose that's been hanging around our house)... Hehe...

Temperment: A VERY alert dog. They are all very loyal and intelligent dog. They are pretty much big babies, though. They need training, and they have to have a job to do, or they will get bored and develop bad habits. They need lots of room to run during the day, but want to be inside with their family at night. Great with kids(or all that I've been around). They have an undeserved reputation, which has been made by stupid, undeserving people.(sorry, had to make a lil' statement)

Description: There are four acceptable colors(not including the "white" doberman, which is NOT acceptable). These include the red/rust, black/rust, blue/rust, and fawn(isabella)/rust. A very elegant, noble looking dog, with ears cropped most of the time(though not all of the time), and the tail docked. Dogs are about 26-28in tall and weigh 55-75lbs, bitches are about 23-26in and 50-70lbs. (if you'd like the standard, go to AKC.com)

Health Problems, etc.: The Dobie is very suseptable to von Willebrand's disease, a very icky disease and hip dysplasia. They are also subject to heart diseas, diabetes, and liver dysfunctions(though these are not as common as the two afore mentioned). The are also very prone to bloat and should not be fed at least an hour before or after strenuous excersize.

lol, I have many a story to tell of my Dobie... :) Hope I entertained some of you a bit...
-Nikki

[quote name='bk_blue']Ohhhh they are so gorgeous, kind of like a Weimaraner. I want one!!! :D[/quote]

Kelpies come in a blue & tan --- come on....come to our side (you know you want to).

Go to: and click on Colors and Description [url]http://www.kelpiesinc.com/[/url]

Go to: and click on A Look at Kelpie Colors, then click on Blue colored or Blue & tan [url]http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/6392/index.html#THE[/url]

[quote name='bk_blue']Ohhhh they are so gorgeous, kind of like a Weimaraner. I want one!!! :D[/quote]

ANOTHER thing, on the Dobie website, the lady with the blue/rust Dobie in the first picture.....got that visual? Don't you think, she looked an awful lot like her dog?? OUCH!

[quote name='Hobbit']ANOTHER thing, on the Dobie website, the lady with the blue/rust Dobie in the first picture.....got that visual? Don't you think, she looked an awful lot like her dog?? OUCH![/quote]

*miaow* LOL... well you know what they say about pets and their owners...
Princess Anne, or was is Princess Margaret, whichever one it was that was into horses looked an awful lot like her equine friends. Guess it doesn't matter, the royals are all inbred anyway :wink:

Guest Anonymous

OK....Shiba Inu history......let's see if I can get this right.

7000 BC the Shiba ancestors came to Japan.

There were three main varieties of the Shiba....named for their region of origination: Shinshu Shiba, from the Nagano Prefecture; the Mino Shiba, from the Gifu Prefecture; and the Sanin Shiba from the northeastern part of the mainland.

Shiba means Brushwood...Inu means Dog...Little Brushwood Dog. They were used as hunting dogs for birds and small game. Even wild boars from time to time.

Shibas almost became extinct during WWII. Most of those that did survive ended up with distemper.

The Shinshu variety is pretty much the only one left. Breeding programs were established after the war.

The first Shiba came to the US in 1954 by a US serviceman and his family.

The first US Shiba litter was born in 1979.

In 1992 the Shiba was allowed in the AKC Misc class and them moved to the Non Sporting group in 1993.

They are a hearty little breed with not many health problems. A small amount of Shibas have a history of hip dysplasia and PRA. Patellar luxation is another health issue, along with allergies. Somewhere I swear I saw something about Reflex regurgitation and Uveodermatological syndrome.....oh, here it is...[url]http://www.petdoc.ws/BreedPre.htm#S[/url]

Shibas were made a National Memorial in Japan in 1936.