Dogomania

Pitbull Tails

i have one tailed corgi and one without....the tail is fascinating to me becuz I've never had a corgi with one before. I can't say he uses it for a rudder, but it sure does help him "strut"! He is one cocky dog, waving that tail. I'ts a really pretty tail, too.

As far as "use", I can't see a difference in the 2. Toby holds his stub the same way Fella does, usually. you just have to look harder at the stub to see whether it is wagging. :)

Corgilady

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corgi's are so cute :D ...are they Pembrokes or Cardigans?.....I had a dog as a child that was half Pembroke Welsh Corgi, half Fox terrier....he had that stubby little Corgi body with a pointy face fox terrier head..lol
Are Corgi's actually docked or are some of them born tailless?.....The reason I ask is that I saw a Corgi the other day at the Dog Park that had no tail at all...not even a stub...I was wondering if this was genetic??

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Smooshie']Corgi's are so cute :D ...are they Pembrokes or Cardigans?.....I had a dog as a child that was half Pembroke Welsh Corgi, half Fox terrier....he had that stubby little Corgi body with a pointy face fox terrier head..lol
Are Corgi's actually docked or are some of them born tailless?.....The reason I ask is that I saw a Corgi the other day at the Dog Park that had no tail at all...not even a stub...I was wondering if this was genetic??[/quote]

I believe that Cardigans have tails and Pembrokes are born with out. I'm not sure if there is any other difference.....

Guest Anonymous

Really? Hmmm....and that's the only difference? What's the sense? I mean, why are they considered different? Other breeds that are known for having docked tails aren't considered different if someone does not dock their dog of that breed. I just don't get it. Oh, I believe what you two have said, but don't understand why it's this way...does anyone know?? :o

Weird! Anyway, thanks for clearing that up. I thought they were born that way! :oops:

Had to edit. Didn't make any sense!!!!! :roll:

DANG IT. Had to edit AGAIN. Darn codeine cough syrup!

Really? Well, now I'm confused!!!!!
I've seen stacks of Pembrokes with tails, yes, pedigree dogs. Hmmm, I don't get it. Maybe its like, err, how some Boxers have white on their face and others don't? Maybe only some are born with their tails and some without.
Can you tell me where you heard they are born with no tail or have you actually bred corgis?

On these two types in Aussie, while it's hard to pinpoint, they should never be confused. The Cardigan should have a slightly wider earset than the Pembroke, and be slightly longer in body. The Cardigan tail is described as 'like a fox's brush, and the Pembroke 'short, preferably natural'. The colors, for the Pembroke 'Any color, with or without white markings, but white should not predominate. The Cardigan, self colors in Red, Sable, Fawn, Black and Tan, or with white markings on legs, chest and neck. Some white on head and foreface permissable.
I have a friend who used to breed Pembroke's and while some were born with a very slightly longer stub tail, she never had to actually dock any.
This doesn't read as a great deal of difference, but when seen they are really very different. I haven't looked, but there probably are some sites with lots more info than I can give, and probably clearer too :roll: .