Dogomania

[b]Shar Peis are the best dogs!!![/b]

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Jasper']Does anyone own a Shar Pei?? :D [/i][/quote]

I hope you have a large budget for vet bills - cute as the breed is its a bundle of inherited defects from most of the breeders out there. Its extremely difficult to get one from lines without any problems in them (I'm not sure its even possible). Shar Pei fever is rampant in most lines for example and allergies are extremely common. I hope you are checking the background of your pup to be for temperament too - some can be quite difficult to handle.
As long as you are prepared for what you get you'll be fine but I hope you are prepared - Pei rescue is always doing a booming business because of people getting something they were not expecting!

Guest Anonymous

OK First I wanna say welcome to this board. I always loved these dogs thought they were so cute. Then I had a bad encounter. I hope your dogs are not like my aunts......

My cousin got a female then they breed her. The family kept all 6 pups. They live next door to my mom. One of the pups, the one my aunt kept as hers, is the meanest little thing ever. He has attacked my moms min-pin 6 times. The first time Duece didn't come home for 2 weeks. They thought he was gonna die. My aunts dog is very teritorial...wrong spelling I know. I hope your dogs arent' anything like my aunts......

They are still beautiful animals, but I wouldn't have one that come from the line my aunts did.

Hey! welcome to the forum :D
I don't have any experience with shar peis (big help I am huh? :roll: ) BUT my neighbor has one and it seems like a sweet dog.....tends to be a little dog aggressive though (I don't know if this is typical of the breed??). Maybe it just wasn't socialized properly like Bullboxers' aunt's dog....
So I'm curious....does DSS get his Boxer first ,or do you get your Shar Pei? Or are you getting them at the same time? (picturing a boxer puppy and a shar pei puppy together...AWWWW!) uh oh, I'm feeling a strong urge to go puppy shopping...eeeek! :wink:

I don't think Ori Peis are an actual breed, like Bullboxers, etc, so I woudn't go out and waste all that money on a dog that isn't even a pedigree. Breeding dogs like that are just a scam for money and are the result of many puppy mills and people who breed their pedigree to another pedigree because it is not up to standard or comes from a bad or unhealthy line etc.
Stick with the shar pei, why would you want anything less anyway? :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Yeah Shar Peis aren't as wrinkly when they get older but, they still are quite wrinkly. Shar Pei puppy's have to be the cutest puppy's i've ever seen! :P

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='deepseasnake']I read up on ori peis a bit and they are recognized by by 2 groups I'm sure you'd all know, but I cant remember them right now, but the site I was reading on talked in great detail about their attempts at AKC rec. so it might be a legit breed in awhile[/quote]

its about as true for that mix as it is for the 'poo breeds' that have been claiming the same thing for at least 30 years that I know of...

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous']Yeah Shar Peis aren't as wrinkly when they get older but, they still are quite wrinkly. Shar Pei puppy's have to be the cutest puppy's i've ever seen! :P[/quote]

too many people purchase them based on the cute factor and have no idea of the temperament of the dog they are getting OR the health issues rampant in the breed - a friend does pei rescue and the are always tons of dogs being dumped by owners in that breed - apparently cute can wear thin if its not trained and unhealthily expensive to keep.