Dogomania

Help with final project (warning K added offensive pic)

bgb699

Part of one of my final exams in my computer class is doing a powerpoint presentation on something that interests me. I would like to do it along the lines of spaying/neutering to reduce unwanted litters and why people should consider adoption instead of buying from petstores/BYB. I want to include facts and numbers to back up my opinions.
If anyone has any tidbits of info they can share with me or some links I can research I would really appreciate it. This is going to be viewed by about 45 college age students and I'm hoping to make an impact and educate them. Thanks guys!!

Where's the picture that shows the dead dogs lying in the garbage dump?? I think that would be a great picture to use. Graphic stuff is not always good, but when it comes to this subject it is your best weapon, along with statistics. Find pics of euthanized animals in trash cans, find pics of starved and unwanted dogs roaming the streets. Explain why pet stores and byb's are bad. Show them pictures from THOSE places, and God help anyone who buys from a petstore or breeds Fido with the neighbor's FiFi after watching your presentation.

~Seij

Guest Anonymous

The statistics are scary, but how else can animal control deal with the thousands. It seems like maybe 1 out of a 100 are adopted. And animal control can only do so much.
I know there are no kill shelters, but most adults feel "irresponsible" about telling the truth to some one else. So they dump the animal and then animal control has to deal with a perfectly loving affectionate animal that was abandon.
Sorry for not posting to help your presentation. But it's probably true that more animals end up in animal control because they were dumped, because the owner couldn't take care of it and didn't want to admit it.

[quote name='SandrA9810']
Sorry for not posting to help your presentation. But it's probably true that more animals end up in animal control because they were dumped, because the owner couldn't take care of it and didn't want to admit it.[/quote]

This can be tied into the spay/neuter problem as well. If a person has to abandon a dog at a shelter because they can't take care of it, chances are they did not get it from a responsible breeder (A responsible breeder should be able to take back unwanted dogs that they produced, and they should educate buyers BEFOREHAND about what they are getting into. Anyone who does not breed responsibly should not be breeding dogs at all, and should have the animals spayed/neutered.

~Seij

Awesome,awesome information. I went to different sites to get pics and they literally made me ill, so I'm not sure if I'll use those, but they were very powerful. Another interesting tidbit of info I found- 2 unaltered dogs and their descendants can theoretically number 67,000 in 6 years; cats 420,000. I havent done the math on that one to make sure its right, but those amounts just amazed me.
Thanks so much for all the help!!!!