Dogomania

Breeding for Self-Purpse

Nookie

Is it ok to breed your dog for self-purpose.I know its a LONG time (but you never know) until my dog dies,but before I spay her i would like an offspring off her,she once had a pup,I'm not sure if she could have a big litter,but if she does I will assure you they would get good homes.But,I would love to keep her genes & personality in my life as dog's don't have long life span,and I might outlive my dog,to not grieve as much,I would love an offspring.This is not a 100% thing that I would breed her,but just to get your opinion on this is it ok to breed for self-purpose?

No, it's not ok. You just summed up the reasons why a lot of people I regard as Backyard Breeders breed their dog (some people might not consider it backyard breeding but I do)

I'm sure your dog is wonderful and I don't doubt that you love her and it will be hard to lose her, but it's just not right. There are too many dogs who need homes to be breeding one simply because you really want to.

Another reason you shouldn't breed her is because you probably don't know enough about genetics to do it right. Do you know her pedigree? You should in order to avoid any genetic problems. You also need to know how to read the pedigree of a stud dog. What if she had a litter that ends up with genetic problems and people bring their dog back to you because they can't afford the vet care? Could you afford to take care of it and get it whatever medical help it needs? If you were to breed your dog, you would be obligated to do this.

No, it sounds like a bad idea to me. Enjoy your dog and be thankful you have her :-) Show her how much you love her by getting her spayed :P

Yea,I was kinda worrying about dog's death in birth too.I watched that That's My Baby show where the chow died after having a c-section.I just don't want to take any risk,actually I was just thinking about the good outcomes.Well,thanks for the advice,I didn't think self-purpose breeding was BYB,sorry.But,thanks again.So no puppies from Didi :( .but maybe by spaying her it would prevent any deaths or bad ownership if I did intend to breed her.And I just called this shelter that has low-cost spaying,because our vet charges WAY too much.1 dog spayed(Cookie),2 more to go(Didi & new pup). :P

I'm sure there are thousands of dogs you could love just as much the one you have now. Just because your next dog might have the same genes doesn't mean that it will be the same, since all dogs are induviduals. There are probably alot of dogs that have the character traits you love about your dog that are not related to you dog, and in need of a good home. :)

Good answers from nea and kendalyn. Your dogs genes are only 1/2 of the equation, the love and nuturing you have provided her are the other 1/2.
I have a Belgian Sheepdog that I adore. He has always had a fairly confident, outgoing personality. His full sister from the same litter was very shy. Same exact genes combined to make each pup, but they were as different as night and day. The same loving environment that produced him, produced her. Even my boys full brother was not as outgoing, he was not shy but he had a different personality than mine. Again, same litter, same loving home environment.
There are times when even a well researched, carefully matched breeding produces pups that are either physically or mentally far different from either parent. A careful, responsible breeder tries to 'stack the deck' in favor of healthy, happy, and mentally sound pups but sometimes it is still a total crapshoot.
Even if you were to clone your girl, and who knows someday you might be able to, the resulting dog may be far different mentally than your much loved girl.

• 4 months later...