Dogomania

I want to get Cody started in Fly ball.. msg

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Since he's deaf i know it will be challenging. but i've emailed all the groups in my area to see f they will train and let a deaf dog on the their team.. Can he also do agility or is it one or the other? he'd be good at both he loves to runa nd jump and go crazy and LOVES tennis balls.. any ideas??

Guest Anonymous

:D thanks! they just emailed me and want me to join the kindergarten class!! YAY!! they said they will work with us even though he's deaf and they have had a deaf dog before do flyball! i'm so excited. we are goign to watch a class next weekend!!

Well, a lady in our agility club has a deaf aussie and is trying to do agility with him. I never heard how it went as the only thing I heard before I left is that she was going to put him in obedience first. Does Cody already know basic obedience and hand signals to go with it? If so, I think you could train him to do both agility and flyball. I don't really think flyball should be that hard to train him, as the dog pretty much does it by himself. Agility on the other hand, will be more challenging, as the dog usually knows which obstacle to go to in a word command. You would probably have to always be next to him or in front, so he could see you. I would also think that he would be trained to be looking for your signal.
I'm not sure, but that's my best guess. I also bet there might be a book or two about agility with deaf dogs. Hope you can do it! Keep us updated!

Guest Anonymous

I am getting Cody in Basic obedince and then they want us to join the Kindergarten flyball clas.. Cody knows these signs :
Sit, Stay,Come,NO, good boy, go poty, treat, eat, play, ball, mommy, daddy, walk, ride, ( go for ride, go for walk ), nice, wait...... i thinkthere is more but i just woke up!!

i can't wait to get started with his classes so we can start enjoying the fly ball!! YAY!!!

Wow! Congrats! U'll be setting a really good example of what handicapped dogs can accomplish. :D I've actually heard vets tell people who have had dogs go deaf/born deaf or born blind/gone blind that they should have the dog PTS because it won't have an enjoyable life. :o But thanks to people that do obediance, agility, flyball with thier dogs, vets that once thought this are now changing thier minds. :D That's great that you're starting flyball, and if flyball goes good I'd encourage u to try out agility! :D

Hi there,

Well done for not treating your dog with kid gloves. Flyball will be easier to teach than agility, as with agility a good dog is taught to work ahead of the handler but just keep hand signals and body language simple and run beside him. There is no reason why it can't be achieved. Plenty of deaf dogs on the agility circuit I know especially nearly white Border Collies have achieved good success. There is also a rather mad Dalmatian that is deaf but loves his agility. It can be done, just remember you have to be precise with your body language. This is true with any dog as my own dog when doing agility is very sensitive to body language, but you wil have to be just that little bit more accurate, so as not to confuse your Aussie.

Deaf dogs can adapt amazingly well, and in England there is a BC that worked championship obedience at Crufts.

Anything is possible! Good luck and enjoy. Agility is great, but very addictive!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well. I am an Agility handler and we teach EVERYONE to take the course without making any sound's at all... I can go through hole course with my dog without saying a word... Every dog that study's Agility has to know his owners body language :)

So it shouldn't be so hard to teach Agility to a deaf dog 8)