Dogomania

National Agility Championships on Animal Planet!

JackieMaya

The footing is rubber composite, which looks great. The times will probably be real fast. These dogs are just insmurfingcredible!

One time I rode my horse in a jumper competition/dog agility competition where each horse/rider combination was paired with a dog/handler. Of course, the course was different for the horses than for the dogs, but the times of each horse/dog pair was combined. That was the first time I had ever seen dog agility in person! It was SOOO cool. I think my pair won (it was a long time ago).

I watched some of it! Some very nice dogs there and good to see a variety of breeds, but one thing I did notice was that handling skills were not very advanced for that level of competition. Silly mistakes were made by the handler in their body language and one Border collie with a guy missed the last jump and did a run-by because the handler called the dog and curved his body away from the jump because he had the finish line in sight. Real shame because the wee dog was blazingly accurate!

Also some handlers were hesitant on their belgian whistle turns and didn't get into the right position in time and some took the long way around jumps instead of taking short cuts which would have shaved seconds of their times.

Really interesting to see and compare a top level agility show in America to that of one in the UK. Lots of dogs with great potential but some handlers need to nail their turns and timing of commands. :wink:

Thats the Kat critique for today :P

Yep, you could really see where the handlers made mistakes. Like you said, a shift of their body the wrong way sent the dog the wrong way. I've only seen agility on t.v. (other than that one time with my horse), and I saw lots of mistakes. So I'm sure you saw even more mistakes than I did. It was sure fun to watch though.