Dogomania

Trip to the dog park

I noticed last week that they finally put gates up at the 'dog park' here. It's not really a dog park as much as it is a city park that happens to be fenced and where all the dog owners take their pets. Problem was that there was never any gates to the fence entrances so I've ever gone but a couple of times.

So now that the park is entirley fenced I thought we'd go today and try to work on China's socialization and let Zoey careen across the park. All was good at first, I went awhile after dinner time so that it would be quiet there. And when we arrives there was only a woman with a Lab puppy (8 mo.) and a Pointing Griffon who were both nice enough dogs.

Zoey had a good time even though she didn't really play with the other dogs, she was happy enough to be able to run at full tilt without worrying about ramming into something.

China did pretty alright, and even though the puppy was move a little too quick and was too personal for her taste, she did seem to want to check the other dogs out and even took a playful posture a couple times (mind you I kept China on leash the whole time).

All was well and reasonably peaceful in Barstow Woods until a new-comer arrived, and I was the only one that had any idea of the the chaos that would soon ensue. The new arrival brough three dogs with her and obviously she wasn't concerned about checking out what other dogs were in the park because all three dogs came through the fence without leashes. One of the dogs (I'm guessing some sort of Rott mix) headed with the tail strait up and the head held tall. China does not do well when another dog walks up and tries to dominate her, she'll just rise to the occaision, so I figured it was time to go. I'd already called Zoey over to me when I saw the car pull up so I began leashing her and was getting ready to head for the fence.

At first it seemed like things would be ok, the new dogs were between us and the gate so we had to stop and greet. China and Zoey sniffed noses with the Rott mix while the other two new dogs (a Sheltie and Keeshund looking dog) went and greeted the other two dogs. After that those two came over to greet and sniff China. That became too much for her, and either she decided to express her dislike of being surrounded by strangers or the Rott mix was getting too cockey. In either event the outcome was that China incited a riot.

Of course Zoey lunged forward because anything that's good for China is generally good for her, but then the Griffon came went after it as well, and the Keeshund-thing started spinning circles and yapping hystarically. It was crazy, and stupid me was standing in the middle of it all. I jerked my girls back as quick as I could and started heading out. A couple seconds later neither one of them looked the slightest bit like anything ever happened, while the other dogs continued to snap at eachother while their owners tried to get them under control. :roll:

I think we're done with the dod park now, at least China is. I guess I might take Zoey back by herself sometime, she can normally behave herself and she did have a good run today.

yikes! personally i hate dog parks. ok so i don't hate the idea of dog parks -- on paper it's wonderful. add a couple retarded dog owners into the mix (i don't mean you ce) and you have the potential for disaster. i am sure somewhere there are some really nice dog parks but the ones i have been to suck buttcrack and mostly because people are stupid! it's the same people who let videos/cartoons be their babysitter. they bring the dogs and then for an hour the dog humps everyone twice, takes out knees, barks incessantly when someone new arrives and in general harasses the little guys -- all the while the human is oblivious to the world. AND they don't clean up after their dogs :o cause they have no clue their dog has pooped!

ce - one thing you said struck me and i just want to offer an alternative. you said china and zoey sniffed [i]noses[/i] with the rott mix. this face to face contact in and of itself is a no no in doggie language. add in the fact that china is touchy about greetings then factor in that she felt restrained (no where to go if she wanted to retreat) by the leash and i am amazed that this situation turned out as it did. forgive me if you already know this, but can i suggest that next time you are going to let china greet other strange dogs -- you & the other dog owner set it up so that they can first greet nose to tail. sniff sniff 2 seconds max and then get them interested in something else (a toy a treat whatever) walk away -- do the same thing later. always praise her for being calm. china should really be the predictor of who she meets if you think she is getting aroused turn and walk away - go do something else -- try again later once you can talk to the human. probably a good idea not to take china back. right now she needs a little more structure in her greetings -- and structure is lacking at a dog park for sure! clicks to you for getting your 2 out of the chaos!

I'll have to keep in mind what you said about the nose to nose gretting Rotten, I didn't realize that but thinking about it it makes sense. Either way, China didn't have much of a choice seeing as how she was on lead and won't turn her back on any dog that's strutting around like it might have to get rough with someone. I'll just have to find some other venue for China to get some occaisional socialization at.

Oh and I saved them from the fray only marginally. LOL I reactively jerked back on their leashes so hard I might have strangled them.

Went back to the park again on Tuesday, and this time Zoey went by herself. We ended up having a great time and she ended up making some new friends. Zoey got the chance to really rev up and get a good run, none of the other dogs were able to catch up to my little one dog stampede during chase games. I even got to see some really gorgeous dogs including a Greater Swiss and an Estrella Mountain Dog and a Neopolitan Mastiff. Wish I brought a camera with me.

I'm not suggesting you do this, but this is my scenario. Free is an absolute BITCH ( non-gender specific) when on a leash. I now think she feels cornered...she will fluff up and growl at strangers, dogs, kids...but if off leash and not in close proximity to me she is fine. I think she feels both cornered and protective. if I take her to the park she is fine with all the dogs, kids, parents.....in a pack, they would never meet on a leash, giving one of them the opportunity to back down and back off...

:-?

I'm thinking I might try reintroducing China back to the park little by little. She loves a good day of exploring and running around as much as Zoey does, plus taking only Zoey is demonstrating an inequality between them.
My thought is to just take Zoey for a few weeks by herself. She'll come back covered in dog smells, and since it seems that the folks tend to go there on a regular schedual so China can familiarize with the other dogs' scents. After that I can bring her there for brief visits, meet a few dogs and leave. As she gets more comfortable she can stay for longer periods. If it works China will get to wander 'free range' with Zoey, and if it doesn't work out then that would be for the best as well. Though I'd like to think that she's not a crusty ol' bat who's just set in her ways.

China's not an entirely fearful dog, she most doesn't care for any dog (or person) getting too pushy with her or in her personal space for too long. Despite being a large medium-sized dog she tends to command respect from other dogs and is generally content to just ignore them. But all it takes is one dog that won't back away and I'd be standing in the middle of a dog fight.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...