Dogomania

Is this wrong? Rescue question

gooeydog

Curious as to whether anyone here has experience or input on the following. At some point in the distant future, I hope to get and train at least one dog for SAR work, though I'm not sure what breed, I'd probably stick to either Dachshunds or APBTs, as they're what I'm most likely to own, and both have assets that would make them possible cantidates. Now, onto my question... is it wrong to ask a rescue group or even shelter to have a dog's hips/elbows, etc screened before adoption to ensure that the dog is physically sound enough to handle that sort of work? Of course, I wouldn't except them to pay for it, but at least to allow it to be done? Or would it be a put off, making it look like I would only be happy with a perfect dog? Thoughts?

I know that the rescue groups I've worked with would be delighted that someone who is looking for a working dog would consider a rescue. As long as you are willing to pay for the tests I see no reason a rescue group would have a problem with it. There are probably quite a few rescue groups that have dogs they would like to place in a home where they would get the stimulation and outlet for their working drive that they need.
The group my mum works with had an AKC registered GSD with his CGC and therapy dog training. The placed him in less than a week. However, you might get lucky and find a dog that already has some training.

In my honest opinion I see no wrong in asking this. You want a dog specifically for the purpose of SAR and a dog in order to do SAR must be both physically and mentally fit. I'm not sure about the training in the U.S. but in the uk here its very rigorous before dogs are even considered for further training.

Well, I'd initially planned on just taking my chances with a rescue if I decided on an APBT, but most likely going to a breeder if I decided on a dachs. There aren't many dachs breeders who do any health tests at all, and trying to find one who also breeds for "working" ability seems to be nearly a lost cause. So if I can find a young adult dog that shows no signs of impending health issues, and has the temperament I want through rescue, why not? I was worried that it might seem like I was only interested in a "perfect" dog though, and that if any health issues DID crop up, I'd not want the dog anymore... which is absolutely not the case, as I'm sure you all can tell from our house of misfits :lol: . I mentioned this to someone else the other day, and they said that if I wanted a dog I could count on not to have problems, a rescue wasn't what I wanted, but I feel like you can't get an absolute guarantee with a dog from any source, so if I'm going to take a chance on one from a breeder not turning out sound even though its parents have been tested, I might as well take the chance of a rescue dog having some problem crop up, even though it looked good as a younger dog. If that makes sense? In either case, the dog would still have a loving home, but I don't see why I can't stack the odds in my favor by checking everything out before falling for them and bringing them home. But then part of me feels like it wouldn't be right to turn down a dog I liked based only on some health problem, though since I plan on only having 2 or 3 dogs at most, if I can't refuse the ones that aren't suitable, I may not be able to get one that is... all in all, this is a very confusing matter to me, and I'll probably spend the next 20 yrs of my life debating with myself over it! :lol:

Police stations used to pick their dogs from healthy, adult dogs - from - :o - the humane society or pound. (At least some of them anyway.) They did this because they could evaluate ADULT temperment. There are a number of acting dogs that were rescues. I think that giving rescues a shot is great and could work fine, looking won't hurt anyways, you don't find what you need you can look at breeders then.