Dogomania

Glue??

Hi Guys yesterday I had to go to the vet with 2 of my dogs as they had had a fight, normally we dont have any aggresive behavour to worry about but as we have some new chickens and one got into the back yard with the dogs they fort over it. (naughty dogs) Anyways chicken has gone to heaven and doggies to vets. My question is does anyone know what the glue is that the vets use to stick wounds back together I would like to get some to keep in my dogs emergancy kit. I can ask the vet next time I go in but any info would be helpful. Charlie came off second best which suprised me as she is normally the more dominant. They glued one of her tears up with the glue and it seems to have held together well.

It is surgical glue, very similar (if not identical) to super glue or crazy glue (don't know what it might be in Oz).

To be perfectly honest, I keep a tube of unopened super glue in my house for doggie (and human) emergencies. For clean cuts (clean as in not having jagged edges of flesh hanging, or not being a gaping hole... clean like a slice), I just open the fresh glue and seal the cleaned wound. My vet is ok with it.

If your vet will sell you some surgical glue, all the better, I suppose, but I've never had a problem with plain super glue. The biggest foreseeable problem I can think of is using it inappropriately for an injury that SHOULD be seen by a vet. I mean, if it's a cut to the bone, or if it's just a gaping hole, you wouldn't want to try gluing that. I reckon it's a judgement call, like any other, but you do need to be aware of when not to grab that glue.

Thanks HF I see your point, the cut that was glued was a straight tear which wasnt to deep but needed to be held together, The dogs were both also put on antibotics incase of infection, I would definently head to the vet if I felt that it was nessasary and I did, but after seeing the results from the glue I would like to have some at home incase we have any future issues that can be delt with at home.