Dogomania

Leaving a dog home alone -- need advice

Kerislc

Ok, I hope this makes sense. I have been wondering for a long time.

Scout rarely gets left home alone for extended periods of time. He is usually alone for about 6 hours during the day and that is it. Once in a while, Kasey and I would like to go to dinner and a movie or something and I feel so bad leaving him after he has been home all day. He has a doggie door and can go in and out as he pleases, but I still think he must get lonely.

So, here is my question. Lets say I leave him for 6 hours while I am at work, then I come home for 2 hours and we go out again for 5 hours. I would never leave him home for 11 hours straight, but is it just as bad even though I spend a couple hours with him inbetween?

And, by the way, how long is too long to leave your dog? I start feeling extremely guilty after about 6 hours, but does he even care?

Scout has no problems with separation anxiety or anything. He just plays with his toys and sits on the back porch all day long. Even when we are at home that is what he does.

Toby has to stay in the laundry room when no one is here. He has tons of toys and it is a pretty large room. Normally I am here, but Friday we were gone from 7 am to 10 pm. He did fine and when I got home we played a little before I went to bed. I felt bad leaving him that long, but we had a trip we had to go on. I don't think it really affects most dogs. They just go with the flow.

Guest Anonymous

favorite things in a dogs life:

1) you
2) food
3) sleep

as long as you are giving him two out of the three at a time, dont worry!

dont worry. if you are gone a lot one day, take him to the park the next or something. it wont scar him.

Joseph