Dogomania

I have a question...

He's probably ecstatic to be indoors with you and can just hardly contain his excitement. There are 2 ways to do this. One way will be much quicker than the other.

[b][u]Method One[/u][/b]

Tire him out a bit before you bring him in. Take him inside and just let him go. Most likely he'll calm down within 20 minutes or so. Let him come in frequently so he's more used to it. Work on his commands while he is inside. After a while coming indoors will not be such a big deal and he won't be a maniac.

Make sure you work on commands inside though. Dogs don't generalize well. He needs to know that when you say sit outside, it means the same thing inside.

[b][u]Method 2[/u][/b]

Before you bring him in, tire him out. Take him for a run in the park, a game of fetch, a bike ride, a long hike, or whatever will make him tired.

After he is very tired bring him inside on a leash. If he is calm enough, take it off him. If he's not, wait until he is calm and than take it off. If he starts getting wild again, put it back on and give him some commands. Praise him like crazy and give him treats when he listens. Always try to regain his attention and focus by giving commands and lots of praise/treats when he listens.

Keep doing this at least daily until coming inside is not such a big deal.

Is his indoor behavior the only reason he is an outdoor dog? I'm not very patient so I would just let him inside and do damage control until he is more calm and then work on commands. I really think he's just overly excited to be inside. Once he's used to being indoors he'll probably calm down a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Try doggie proofing your room and letting him off the leash there. Make sure you set rules, like no laying on the bed. And maybe you should crate him there.
Moogle is so used to her crate now, she likes to go into it. She likes to chew a whole lot, so unless she's contained while no one is watching, she'll chew on anything. So every night the crate doors are shut. And she knows that's her safe spot.
ohh and try getting your dog used to following you around the house off the leash, and stay in the same room you are, so your mom can't complain your dog is destroying the other side of the house while your not paying attention.

actually, I would suggest onleash in the house during training. attach a small 2 or 3 foot leash to your beltloops, and make her follow you everywhere. do obedience training the whole time. institute NILIF.
she gets nothing without working for it. under those guidelines she will come around in no time, and you have stopped a dominance issue in its tracks without harshness.

good luck.

When he nips is it because he's getting too excited? I would say "no", redirect him to a toy and calm down the activity level a bit.

You can start feeding him in his crate. Put the food in there and let him eat with the door open. Also give him things he likes when he's in the crate. A stuffed kong or a nice juicy bone. Require that he only eat them when he's in the crate. I would also make the crate a nice comfortable place for him. Does he have a blanket in there? If it's a wire crate try putting a blanket over it so he can't see through the sides.

[quote name='kendalyn']When he nips is it because he's getting too excited? I would say "no", redirect him to a toy and calm down the activity level a bit.

You can start feeding him in his crate. Put the food in there and let him eat with the door open. Also give him things he likes when he's in the crate. A stuffed kong or a nice juicy bone. Require that he only eat them when he's in the crate. I would also make the crate a nice comfortable place for him. Does he have a blanket in there? If it's a wire crate try putting a blanket over it so he can't see through the sides.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. He does nip when excited, yes.

He had a sleeping bag, and a blanket.