Dogomania

YOU pick Best in Show

Guest Mutts4Me

Guest Mutts4Me

Reality TV really has gone to the dogs :roll:

[url]http://animal.discovery.com/convergence/eukanuba/akcchampionship/award/award.html[/url]

[quote]The most prestigious title in dog-show history is on the line. Over 153 breeds will compete for a national championship, and now, for the first time, you vote too! During this year's AKC/Eukanuba National Championship, you choose your top dogs right along with the judges. These lucky canines will earn the Iams Viewers' Choice Awards. On Saturday, Jan. 15, and Sunday, Jan. 16, you can cast your vote right here at animalplanet.com to determine the best in seven group competitions as well as the ultimate champion

I heard that during the ad. sounds kinda cool, it doesnt affect the "real" dog show, but lets people give their opinions. kinda a neat stunt I think.
Are they gonna say during the show when viewers should vote, like before or during a commercial or something? I didnt get all the details.

Since I wont be going anywhere either tonight or tomorrow night, since its going to be all of 2 degrees out, and windchills in the negative numbers, I'll definitely be watching the dog show.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='courtnek']Are they gonna say during the show when viewers should vote, like before or during a commercial or something? I didnt get all the details.[/quote]

Yeah, I think the announcer will say when you can start voting, plus an icon will pop up telling you, too. It's going to be a short period of time, because it'll only last the length of the group. I'll be inside, watching, too... I don't know if I should stay on the whole time or get on and off (dail-up), but I'm afraid the site will be so congested that if I don't stay on it I won't be able to vote. Hmmm... I guess it really depends on whether or not people want to use the computer ;)

Guest Mutts4Me

Did anyone else do the survey they asked you to do after voting?? If not, DO IT tomorrow! Seriously.

It gives you the chance to really stick it to IAMS/Eukenuba. First, let them know you're educated enough to know that Eukenuba/IAMS is sponsoring, and then you can choose that you know Eukenuba is owned by IAMS (not visa versa, not "unrelated"). Then you can tell them that their sponsorships don't make you more inclined to buy their products, and they ask you WHY? So I got to write "I am participating in a boycott against the IAMS/Eukenuba company due to animal cruelty reports regarding research methods" a whole FOUR times! Ha! Take that!

(Yeah, I know they don't care, but at least they know not everyone's thinking "oh, they sponsor a dog show, they must be good!")

On another note, I voted for the Tibetan Terrier, who ended up winning the real group. Very cool :)

No Akitas for me tonight, though. The dog shows I've watched before tended to start with the Working Group, but not this one :-?

Guest Mutts4Me

More good moments:

Announcer: "Huskies are pretty reserved dogs. You're not going to get jumped on by one in the show ring" *husky promptly jumps on handler*

Judge picks the Cardigan Welsh Corgi to come into the second group, and the announcer says, "And the Pembroke!" and never corrects himself...

there were quite a few mistakes like that. he called the Old English Sheep Dog and Old English Shepherd, then corrected it later but the crowd was so loud you could barely hear it....

I voted for the Bloodhound as best dog, and he won!! he was such a COOL looking bloodhound, so proud, and so well trained....I couldnt help it! honest!! it has nothing to do with being a Hound fan...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='courtnek']I couldnt help it! honest!! it has nothing to do with being a Hound fan...[/quote]

Nah... I didn't vote for him, but I CHEERED when he won. Rock on, Mr. Bloodhound, you beat the toy poodle ;)

I voted for the Bull Terrier, and was cheering for him or the Tibetan Terrier, but I think it was really cool that the Bloodhound won, as not-fond of scent hounds as I am :) I love it when the big, lumbering dogs win over the teeny ones, like when Josh, the Newf, won a while back.

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='Kat']doh I don't get it here on Animal Planet but i have to argue and say that the most prestigious title in dog show history has been well documented to be the Crufts Best in Show where dogs compete against over 20,000 dogs to get the coveted title and the supreme champion title.[/quote]

:lol: No one said this dog show was the most prestigious.. I don't think... I certainly didn't :) This show is the highest ranking show in the U.S. [i]held by the AKC.[/i] I think the most prestigious U.S. show is Westminster, but Crufts is the most prestigious overall.

Ah, I see... the quote I took from the AP site said it was the most prestigious. What baloney. But of course every BIG dog show is going to think it's the best :roll: