Dogomania

Mixing cooked meat with kibble

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

After extensive trial and error I have settled on Solid Gold kibble for by 1 year old doberman. He does not want to eat just the kibble only. He will eat it if mixed with a small amount of the canned but it is just a bit too much for his system and causes very loose stools. I have recently been buying chicken and beef from the local natural foods store and mixing with the kibble (cooked first) with vitamin supliments. All appears well -his coat is shiny; energy level up significantly; and poops on a regular basis. I've heard that mixing may not be the best since it digests differently. should I go strickly to homemade food? My thinking was to mix the meat protein with the kibble so he gets the best of both.

Your regimen sounds perfectly reasonable to me, and it is working ... However I am no expert. I too would be interested to know what others think of your question, in particular our TDG.

I also feed mainly kibble (Innova EVO) with a small amount of people food ... just a couple of biscuits a day and a taste of whatever we're having for dinner (example a small crust of country bread, a lean slice of chicken breast, a spoonful of ground beef before seasoning...) Sometimes I put these people treats on top of the kibble. Is this wrong? It seems to work for my Buddy.

Fruit digests quicker than carbs and other food sources, but I still put jam on my toast and have a orange or grapefruit with breakfast. I read that its bad for humans to mix fruit with other foods because of the fruit digesting quicker and supposedly causing problems. But, we all do it :wink:
I think the same goes for dogs, some may have digestive problems and some don't. If your dog is doing fine mixing kibble and meat then myself personally don't see a problem. I mix cooked meat with my kibble and veggies and fruit. Sometimes I mix in yogurt or cottage cheese. Just depends on how the dog is handling it and if he is getting loose stools or worse still, gas :lol:

actually this is a question i'm finding myself answering quite often. :)

i've spent quite some time researching the topic of adding extras to kibble, regardless if it's raw or cooked.

here is what i've found:

all the claims that kibble and other foods digest at greatly different rates and feeding them together is dangerous come from internet sources that have no hard facts to back them up. nothing, nada, zip, zilch, zero. they are just passed on from one person to another (generally by those who are pretty zealous raw feeding extremists) and if people hear things often enough, they tend to take it as fact.

then i turned to professional sources.

dr. richard pitcairn, a respected vet practicing alternative medicine, recommends supplementing kibble with fresh foods and even has specific recipes for kibble mix-ins in his book (page 45, [i]dr. pitcairn's complete guide to natural health for dogs and cats[/i]).

[url=www.monicasegal.com]monica segal[/url], the "doggie dietician" and author of the book [i]K9 Kitchen, Your Dogs' Diet: The Truth Behind The Hype[/i] had the following to say on the [url=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/K9Kitchen]K9 kitchen yahoo group[/url]:

[quote]Kibble leaves the stomach after 4-5 hours and, in fact, anything over 8 hours is considered a problem in that the dog would now be considered to have "delayed gastric emptying". Someone, somewhere decided that raw food is digested a faster rate but then we hear that raw food leaves the stomach in 4 hours -- which, of course, isn't faster at all. In any case, to the best of my knowledge, the "informtation" about digestion rates of raw foods is nothing more than one person passing information on to the next person and you know how that goes. If we hear something long enough, we start to believe it :)

My concern aboyut mixing kibble into raw food only extends to one being dry and another being wet. If a dog is a serious gulper, there's a bit of a chance that a piece of dry kibble will be thrown into the back of the throat, causing the dog to choke. This is no longer a concern for me if the kibble is mixed in well so that it's as wet as the raw food, therefor going down the throat in the same way.[/quote]

if you go by what the manufacturers of pet food say, they generally make recommendations about mixing canned and kibble, which is basically the same situation. in some cases (like with solid gold's holistique blendz, natura's innova evo and eagle dry foods) you even get recommendations about mixing with meats.

as far as personal experience goes, i've been mixing kibble and "real food" (both raw and cooked) for years until i finally moved away entirely from feeding kibble. never any problems. :)

if your dog does well with this, don't worry about it and continue. :)

yup, as i mentioned in my post above, it's the "holistique blendz". :)

it has only 18% protein and 6% fat and the only animal protein/fat sources used are fish.

it's a very nice product for people who want to start out mixing kibble and fresh food.