Dogomania

territory training....

courtnek

well, Ford is an escapist. Kyle is a teenager who thinks she should be letout. I disagree. "let out" if they will stay on the property is one thing. "let out"to roam is another entirely. So Ford is being trained to stay on her territory. My back yard, and the front yard up to a certain feet limit. I traine PushyCat to stay here, I WILL train Ford. She has been good so far, does not run off, stays in the perimiters, but I'm always there. PushyCat and her wrer out front, on the porch, and she stayed put. I think PC will be a great help with this. He wont let her leave, and she doesnt if he is there. She wants to wander if he isnt....

they can be trained, but it takes a long time and a lot of perseverence. PC
is trained, but it took almost 2 summers. He doesnt want out in the winter.
I would go outside with him, put him on the porch, tell him YARD (the command to stay on the property) and as soon as he left the property I would pick him up and say NO loudly, then put him back inside. He learned, after a long time. to stay in the yard, back or front. Now all he does is sun on the porch. He is actually better trained about than the dogs, I dont let them out front.
Ford is a kitten, and wants to explore. PC wont let her leave the porch.
She has learned very quickly to not disobey him, which I think is funny
because the dogs dont either. So I think she'll get trained faster than he was. The kids are in and out of the house all the time, and not as vigilant as I am about watching Ford. She will do a screaming run out the door
if she gets the chance. So I am training her to stay around the property.

Off topic, but cats do FABULOUSLY if you use operant conditioning and the right motivation. Sometimes cats are finicky about their treats or toys. My cat has learned 13 tricks (not counting sit, lay down, etc. Never was able to teach him to stay, though) and is also learning agility, and he is a very 'stubborn' cat.

I have never been able to boundary train RJ. He does know where his yard ends and the neighbor's yard begins, but the neighbors reinforce his leaving the yard by making him perform for them, and then giving him treats. So, now, when he gets let outside, he hops next door for his daily treat and comes back home. I guess it could be worse, and at least they're keeping his lessons fresh in his mind. :p