Dogomania

Food question

bgb699

Hunter loooves Chicken Soup for Dogs, however they dont make a large breed puppy food. Hes 4 mos old, Lab/Gsd x. Is it OK that hes eating adult dog food, and are there any nutrients that hes not getting by feeding him this that he needs as a growing puppy that I need to supplement?
protein-24% min
fat-14% min
fiber-3.0% max
moisture10% max
sodium0.3% max
selenium 0.4mg min
vit E 300 IU min
omega6 2.2% min
omega3 0.4%min

puppy foods are unnecessary. your puppy, regardless of breed or size, will get all the necessary nutrition from a quality adult food and cover extra needs from the larger amount of food puppies consume per pound of body weight, compared to adults. just make sure you don't overfeed your puppy and keep him lean. both labs and GSDs are prone to hip dysplasia and you have a better chance to avoid issues if your puppy doesn't get overweight.

here's a link you might find interesting:
[url]http://www.news.cornell.edu/Chronicle/02/12.12.02/dog-diet.html[/url]

if you are interested in learning more about commercial foods:
[url]http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/[/url]

always glad to share what i learn. :)

i have that (maybe unrealistic) dream that my dog could live 20 years or even longer and to that end i'm going to do everything i possibly can.

my worst peeve: don't believe what the pet food industry giants tell you, at 6 or 7 years old a dog is [b]not[/b] supposed to be a "senior" yet, unless it's a giant breed. :evil: